Audio Which replacement cable for TF10?

esanthosh

Skilled
A few of us have bought TF10 today in Amazon deal. I am not sure if the supplied UE cable is durable or comfortable. So, to the existing owners / past owners / those who have auditioned it:
  • How durable is the UE cable? Has there been any updates to the cable?
  • Is it comfortable to wear for longer periods of time?
  • I've been told that Westone ES cable pins are different from that of UE. But a few in Head-fi are recommending the Westone cable for TF10 because it's better. Would it be very difficult to use Westone cable with TF10?
  • What other after-market cables can be considered? I've read that Null Audio cables are better, but they are also costlier. Besides, I am not sure how much time Null Audio takes these days to ship the cables. Any cables on eBay that can be considered?

^ I hope so. Unlike ICCWorld / SYW, I buy the item and send it to Borderlinx address. Once it reaches, I should get the notification and can check out after paying all duties, taxes and shipping charges. ICCWorld also has a service like that. But, am not sure how many have used it so far.

Ok, As a user and replacement cable searcher, i would share my opinions...

1. Durability: Its Ok for normal use, make sure you dont fiddle a lot with the stiffener end, else instant puncture point

Pro tip: Use any over ear silicone hooks, averts the problem. (I have a 10Vi and dont want to lose the remote functionality)

2. Its great to wear if used with the tip above. I have used for more than 8hrs continuous.

3. westone cables are 0.05mm thicker and bit longer. needs filing and trimming, else forget using default cables again. connector hole gets bigger.

4. Null audio are awesome direct fit, and good quality. Problem is sourcing to india.

Hope it helps..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Ok, As a user and replacement cable searcher, i would share my opinions...

1. Durability: Its Ok for normal use, make sure you dont fiddle a lot with the stiffener end, else instant puncture point
Pro tip: Use any over ear silicone hooks, averts the problem. (I have a 10Vi and dont want to lose the remote functionality)

2. Its great to wear if used with the tip above. I have used for more than 8hrs continuous.

3. westone cables are 0.05mm thicker and bit longer. needs filing and trimming, else forget using default cables again. connector hole gets bigger.

4. Null audio are awesome direct fit, and good quality. Problem is sourcing to india.

Hope it helps..

id still stick by the cable i got.. its the twilight cable.. its a ofc with copper n silver plating but does the job and very well at that. i got tighter low end and everything opened up alot while retaining the ue treble sparkle.. it was much more sturdy then the original ue cable so my vote still goes for the same. not only it is one of teh cheapest but it's the best bang for the buck.. id only recomend null or anything higher if one was goin customs with the ue's... no point spending more money on a sound difference u may or may not hear.. i always wonder if a 300$ cable provides a 300$ difference in sound. but then again thats just my take.. null audio is also supposed to be real slow with getting stuff out, make sure they have a cable in stock before ordering one!

How durable is the UE cable? Has there been any updates to the cable?
Atleast my cable have problem, i am also looking for a new cable softer than the stock cable, let me know when you have found one i can pay you and you can get two of those maybe.
Right now i feel >%$#&&$ as i just(15-20 days) bought a second hand TF10 for 9.5k with defective cable and others are buying brand new for 6-7k.
Whats up with UE guys i mean no one else sells a 300$ IEM for 100$ atleast i haven't heard of any brand which does that.
i am gonna stop buying new stuff atleast till i get in collage.Gonna save for something else mabe a dslr or anything else which is more usefull than IEM's i already have IE8 and i am happy with it.

^^ whats that gave to my sis part !!! :mad:

as there are many tf10 owners now, i thing you can have a GO for null audio cables ...they are the best. (some say they improve SQ also .improves the mids)

Null Audio enyo is not good .Its thicker and microphonics are high as well, its the lune cables which are good and cost a bomb .The worse part of enyo cable is that it has ear gliders which are heat shrinked to the cable and they might not fit to all .

The Enyo is made of slightly stiffer material compared to the stock JH Audio and Westone cables, therefore the Enyo are not as soft and flexible as the stock custom cables you receive with your monitors. Therefore, the microphonic levels are higher, and touching or moving the cable exerts more noise through your earphones compared to the JHA or Westone cable.

Read this thread for more info NullAudio Enyo Custom Cable Review

kuki_295 said:
Right now i feel >%$#&&$ as i just(15-20 days) bought a second hand TF10 for 9.5k with defective cable and others are buying brand new for 6-7k. Whats up with UE guys i mean no one else sells a 300$ IEM for 100$ atleast i haven't heard of any brand which does that

That came about after Logitech took over UE.

I was in line before you for that deal before other expenses made me pull off. I was this close to pulling off a deal on a used TF10 day before yesterday (which would have cost me a bomb, $230 including shipping (+ customs, if any) @ higher $ rates than before). But the person I was dealing with was very nice, understanding and held back the sale till the Black Friday sales are over. I don't think many would be that good knowing well that the chances of deal not going through (and subsequently their sale price not having any meaning for at least sometime) are 50-50.

Oh! back to topic from rant.... :ashamed:

My question is how worth is spending on an expensive cable? It might actually make TF10 'sing', but how discernible are the differences in SQ? I think toxic makes great sense.

Instead of spending $300 on cable, would it not be better to spend within $100 max for added durability, comfort and whatever slight changes in SQ and spend the money on another IEM or even save a bit more and re-mold TF10 into customs which brings a better cable with it for free? I'd not have considered changing the cables if I'd not bought it for $95. Leaves me something on the table to spend :)

lune series silver cable costs $109 ... i think he can bring it down to 80 if you all order in bulk ( i have talked to him he is flexible )

^ Kevin Wang? And how many days would it take for him to deliver the cable? There are cases where he took too much time to deliver the cables and a few issues have been posted on head-fi. If he can provide it for $80 AND he is going to deliver on the said date, I might be interested.

^ Why do you think Lune is the best cable for TF10? I read that it makes 'everything clearer', but I'm not sure about the build quality. Why not the Twilight @ $40 shipped? Or taking a slight risk, Westone ES cable, which seems more comfortable and better?

If you can get the Westone cable to fit there's nothing like it for the price. Think its about 60 SGD, I use them on my customs, although UM I think might have modified them slightly. Personally, I wouldn't spend USD 100 on a cable for the TF10. Keep it as it is and get a remold done at a later stage from lynx and get UM to fit the Westone cable then.

PS - I had to RMA my TF10 when I tried changing the cable. I ended up pulling all the internal wiring out as well. Their build quality isn't exactly great.

If we have enough number of guys interested , I could arrange for a GO from Null Audio or the Westone ES2 (trimmed/filed to perfectly fit the UEs). I am already in touch with Null Audio since a week , they have the Black Enyo in limited quantity but then I dropped the idea of getting Enyo as it seems to be stiffer and have microphones . The Null Audio Lune looks very tempting but I cant afford to spend ~5k on cables.

So the options I am left with are , Twilight cable(40US$ ) or the Westone ES2.(~50-55 -US$).

yeah, there will be enough TF10 owners now. But 5k on cables? WTF! Who is that rich? I will get killed if i buy a cable at 5k.

Wait till our stocks reach here. January 2011 that is. After that we can think for GO. Why are you all in such a hurry?

^ Because we all might get our TF10s before you do ;)

@Faheem,

I might be interested in ES2 cable trimmed to fit TF10. Can a GO reduce the price further? Ritvik mentioned SGD 60.

@ dragonball , Mine are going to reach lot earlier :p

@esantosh , the ES2 Cable quote metalspree got from Jaben store is of ~78 SGD. Dont know if price can be reduced ,but I will try and speak to uncle Wilson about this.

Back