PC Peripherals Which Samsung TCCD Based Ram PC3200 DDR400 can come for 8.5K

Hi All,

At the TE Mumbai meet , had a chat with Deejay.

He suggested me to go for a A8N-E instead of A8N SLi and i fully agree to him.
Also a 3200+ Venice instead of a 3500+ Venice is better for OCing.
With this i will be saving some money.

So i thought why not invest that saved money in some nice uber RAM.

As you all know A8N-E has a limitation on 3Vdimm so have to go for TCCD based RAM.[confirm if i am wrong]

Can you all suggest me a RAM which can overclock to atleast say 270 1:1
with my 3200+ Venice on the A8N-E , i will be a lot happy.

My Budget is 8.5K , max i can give is 9K.

Please suggest me the RAM for my requirements based on TCCD chips.

Also can you suggest me how much will i be able to push the HTT[FSB] to
with this ram and 3200+ Ven 1:1 on A8N-E.

Any links where A8N-E Reviews are present.

you mean here from India?
Well there aint any TCCD available here at the moment.
If you are getting it from US then there are many options.
There is Geil which comes with TCCD ot TCC4. Both are very good low voltage overclockers.
Then there is OCZ EL. but i think it may go above $200.
But Geil is surely under $200.

From US.

Suggest the full Ram name with model number if posible.

OR any Ram with other than TCCD chip but atleast OCing to 275Mhz at or below 3V at timings of 2.5-4-3-7 approx.

Mainly considering TCCD as its the best deal but a costly one also.

Currently considering ur suggestions , nothing is fixed.

You may want to refer Masky's thread: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3288

As you can see he has the exact same A8N-E board and similar criteria as yours for the RAM.

OCZ EL Platinum Rev 2 sticks are very good. If i'm not mistaken this is what Masky finally decided to settle for. Its price is around 185$ and dropping.

PDC1G3200+XBLK (what Bottle has) has shown very good results as well. Think its around about 220$, and you have proof from Bottle that it does very well. :)

OCZ EL Platinum Rev 2 fits my budget , heard about it a lot.

This is what it did on the DFI Nf4 Sli DR - AnandTech Article dont have the link now.
318x9 (2862MHz) (Auto HT, 2.5-4-3-7, 2.9V)
(1:1 Memory, 1T, 2 DIMMs in DC mode)
(+59% Bus Overclock)

The DFI nForce4 boards shredded all previous records with this CPU and memory - reaching the highest overclocks at stock speed and at a lower mulitiplier that we have ever tested with this combination. We have squeaked by the 300 CPU clock frequency (DDR600) in the past, but it always required a 2T command rate. This time, we reached an astounding 318 (DDR636) at 1T, at the rather aggressive memory timings of 2.5-4-3-7 with our standard OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev.2, which is based on Samsung TCCD chips. This is the highest DDR speed that we have ever reached with this memory or any other double-sided DDR memory.

What impact does 318 have on performance? Quake 3 ran at 642FPS and SiSoft Sandra 2004 standard memory bandwidth was 8,300 MB/s. The Sandra unbuffered memory bandwidth was at 4000 MB/s. All these results are new performance records in our memory testing. The very wide range of memory voltages to 4.0V is particularly useful in reaching the highest possible overclocks, along with a very complete set of memory tweaking options in the BIOS. There is still a huge reserve in the available memory voltage range as we only needed 2.9V to reach these performance levels. Those with exotic cooling will appreciate that the CPU voltage and memory voltage settings on the DFI will give them what they need to squeeze every bit of performance from their CPU and memory.

Can this type of figures be achieved on the A8N-E.

Even if it cant reach 312 a 300Mhz OC would be gr8.

Well funky , i will be getting my rig in July.
Now i am just considering ur opinions

Currently i have my eyes on the OCZ.

GSkil beyond my reach.

Geil
Series Ultra
Model GL1GB4400DC
Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

Tech Spec
Capacity 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Speed DDR 550 (PC 4400)
Cas Latency 3
Timing 3-4-4-8
Voltage 2.6V-3.1V
ECC No
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
Warranty Lifetime

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2
Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K
Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

Tech Spec
Capacity 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Cas Latency 2
Timing 2-2-2-5
Voltage 2.75V
ECC No
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
Warranty Lifetime

But the OCZ is a better deal than this , funky
Also the Reviews of OCZ are gr8
Check here :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890

[Peace]

well ocz too is supposed to be good. But i havent tested it.
I have ran this geil for a while and it does friggin 300Mhz @ 3.0V

Cant complain can I?
Unfortunately i dropped 1 stick in hot tea cup. It wont boot ever since. I cleaned it properly. Then too no go.
I attached ramsinks back ( didnt came with any sticker on ramsinks :p ) and sent it to RMA and they accepted RMA with no questions asked. Lucky me :p
It should be back by next week.

Quad_Master said:
OCZ EL Platinum Rev 2 fits my budget , heard about it a lot.

Then go for it. As you've seen plenty and enough praise on it, and since it fits in easily into your budget, it would be well worth it :)

I'm guessing you have a bit of time till you get your rig as well, so perhaps Masky might have already got his RAM by then and could give you a glimpse of what to expect.

TCCD is not voltage hungry, considering your A8N-E can supply a max of 3Vdimm, you should not run out of juice for the memory. You can very well expect it to touch atleast 280Mhz. With your 3200+ Venice running with a 10.0x mutliplier, that amounts to a 2.8Ghz overclock (if possible) for you to run your memory at 1:1 with your HTT.

No offence though, but i'm not too sure the Geil holds very tight timings at high speeds, as even at default its rated at 3-4-4-8

Crazy_Eddy said:
TCCD is not voltage hungry, considering your A8N-E can supply a max of 3Vdimm, you should not run out of juice for the memory. You can very well expect it to touch atleast 280Mhz. With your 3200+ Venice running with a 10.0x mutliplier, that amounts to a 2.8Ghz overclock (if possible) for you to run your memory at 1:1 with your HTT.

If this works out then its going to be OCZ for sure.

it does 3-4-4-8 even at 300Mhz.
Its rated this @ DDR 550 speeds and not DDR400 like OCZ EL.
It does 2-2-2-5 @ DDR400 speeds too.

Since your budget is limited to us $ 200 or less have a look at this link on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=523%3A8476&PropertyCodeValue=524%3A7945&PropertyCodeValue=525%3A7866&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=147&Submit=Property
most of them would be able to do 275 mhz at 2.5-3-3-7 @ 3V or less of Vdimm. (which is ur main aim)
and if you up the budget a little then have a look here,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=523%3A8476&PropertyCodeValue=524%3A7942&PropertyCodeValue=525%3A7866&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=147&Submit=Property
These are guranteed to work @ 275 mhz. at less than 3V. and most of them will do 2.5-3-3-7 at 3V VDimm
Ideally the best within ur budget would be these
1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890
but since these platinum rev 2 are rated for 200 mhz at 2-2-2-5 there is a slight element of risk that you may not achieve 275 mhz at your "desired latencies" at 3V.
2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146845
These are rated to run at 250mhz at ur desired latencies at 2.8V, if you up the voltage to 3V they have a very high probability to reach 275 @ 2.5-3-3 at 1T

@deejay
The OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum DDR400 did a 312 on DFI at 2.9V

If on DFI at that voltage why not on A8N-E

Also the OCZ EL DDR PC-4200 Dual Channel Platinum DDR533 for 197$ looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:
its very tricky.
The same processor overclocks more on DFI at same voltages.
Thats one sign.
It depends on PCB design of mobo too and lots of other factors.
Overclocking ability varies a great deal with the motherboard.

Quad Master said:
@deejay

The OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual Channel Platinum DDR400 did a 312 on DFI at 2.9V
If on DFI at that voltage why not on A8N-E
Also the OCZ EL DDR PC-4200 Dual Channel Platinum DDR533 for 197$ looks good.
Well quad, its like this.

no two systems or rams or m/b's are ever alike.

so there is no gurantee if a ram module works at a certain frequency on a particular m/b will work at the same spped across all the m/b's having the same chipset.
there are too many variables at play here. primarily being the purity and supply of power to the system. (which includes the type and quality of the capacitors and other components)
hence you should avoid "presuming" on these matters.
for e.g. if that ocz platinum did 312 mhz @ 2.9V on DFI it could even do "more" on asus A8N-E but generally it would do less. so unless you personally test them in ur system it is premature to comment. okay you may get a general idea about its performance but nothing is guranteed, especially in the o/c'ing field.
also consider this too, you may get a megabucks, kick-ass rams which are rated for pc 3200 i.e. 200 mhz. now if on "your" system it does not overclock to 201 mhz even. what options you will have ?????, the co has guranteed the speed upto 200 mhz hence you cannot do anything against the co. neither can you return the rams giving non o/c ability of the rams legally and technically speaking.....

Ok got it.

This is what OCZ has to say about there this Ram module
Link:- http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_4200_dual_channel_platinum

OCZ EL DDR PC-4200 / 533MHz / Enhanced Latency Platinum Edition / Dual Channel

OCZ Platinum Edition PC-4200 memory has been designed for ultra-low latency operation on Intel Pentium 4 and AMD AthlonXP/Athlon 64 platforms. OCZ Platinum Edition PC-4200 memory is able to reach latencies as low as CL 2.5-3-3-8.

All OCZ DDR-533 products are 100% hand-tested to ensure compliance with stringent quality standards. In addition, every 1GB Dual Channel Kit from OCZ is hand tested as a matched pair across a wide variety of motherboards to ensure flawless performance on most motherboards.

Each OCZ PC-4200 Platinum Edition module also comes with a high quality copper heat spreader with a platinum mirrored finish.

OCZ PC-4200 Platinum series modules are the very best low-latency DDR memory available on the market today and offer innovative features that increase performance while providing unsurpassed stability. OCZ Platinum Edition memory modules are rated to handle up to 3.0V without invalidating the OCZ Lifetime Warranty so that performance enthusiasts can tweak their systems without worry

So u suggest me to go for the " OCZ EL DDR PC-4200 Dual Channel Platinum DDR533"
Since this is a OCing Module if it doesnt OC to the desired DDR500 level then can we
ask OCZ about it not OCing.
Also this stick does 2.5-3-3-8 according to OCZ.
Suppose we just relax the timings to 3-4-3-8/9 then will be able to reach 285/295
with this thing.
[i know its not worth at all but still asking just for knowledge , also nothing is guranteed with OC but since this is such a high perf module it shud reach]

Well if we are able to pass 3V[as OCZ says we can] according to them this RAM can OC insanely to 300
at 2.5-4-3-7 , just my opinion.

And Power supply i will be probably going for a
Antec 450 Smart Power or Antec True Power 480[only if the needed]

Hmmm....Whn r u planning to Order ur Rig??
If its July, i wud say stop thinking now, nd save urself frm eating ur own brains, its really too frustating to stick up wit smethng ur likely gonna order whtever u hav in mind rite now, ram prices may drop considerably by thn nd thts for sure.
just a suggestion....:cool2:

Rockyme2002 posted 1.45 minutes later:

@stalker
there's also a Gskill (had PMd Masky the link) which is for 99$'s nd does 2-2-2-5 ...i guess.

Back