Camera Which SLR camera to buy?

Canon if you ask wild life photographers (Here I am talking about folks at National Geography). I know a guy who switched from an expensive Nikon to Canon (within 6 months of purchase) due to dark contrast of Nikon (Picture would look nice contrasting but thats not how the view was).

For starter would suggest: 400D. However mate make one thing real clear. SLR is not meant for your average point and shoot photographer. You need to study and then shoot and the picture quality depends upon the lens and shooter and not the device.

~LT

I'd suggest you go for the 350D and spend your money on good glass.

You can always change the bodies, but the glass will stay with you.

There is not much difference between the 400D and the 350D, so get the 350D and upgrade to a full frame/semi-pro body later.

^ I'm afraid the 350D has been discontinued. So I guess a 400D (Canon) or D40X (Nikon).

As both the posters above mentioned, the real deal is the glass, so pick your glass wisely and be ready so shell out atleast 20-25k for decent glass over a large f-range.

Checked out 400D today, costing around 39k at reliance digital. Might as well go for it. Sony ones start from 49k. Thanks for your suggestions.

List out your requirements, your typical usage, what kind of photos you would mostly be shooting, how serious are you about ensuing this as a hobby, how long u plan for, your budget etc. It would be easier to advise/guide then.

SLR body forms the basis and usually has the minimal investment. Most of the money goes into (many) good lenses and a plethora of accessories.

A SLR cam is not everybody's cup of tea. It requires a basic understanding of so many things and it can be frustrating the first time. Unlike point-n-shot cams, u need to be a sort of connoisseur in choosing ur SLR.

First of all, do you need a DSLR? Will you be putting in the required time and effort required to do photography? If you buy a DSLR, no point shooting in JPG, be ready to do PP with RAW files. Do you need to go beyond the kit lens in future ? (very likely) - What do you want to shoot? (Life, Macro, Wildlife etc). Just think of these factors and decide if a DSLR is your cup of tea.

The 400D is the old model. The 450D is the newer one. 39K is TOO much for the 400D. The 450D beats the 400D in most areas.
The Nikon D80 is a very good camera too.

Canon's budget DSLRs have a smaller grip, the Nikon has a larger grip (its an issue for many people). Make sure you're comfortable with the handling of the camera as well.

Don't worry about 10 vs 12 MP either - 2 MP won't make much of a difference. Both C & N are very good, I wouldn't go for the sony/olys/Pentax etc in India because of their limited service and support. Another thing going for the C & N camps is the easy availability of equipment (both sold as well as with users - say if you needed to go shoot some wildlife and wanted a tele lens - it would be a safe bet that most local users would either have a Nikon or Canon lens that you could borrow from.)

edit : found pricing on the canons - it should be even cheaper (this is w/warranty price!) - and if you go the grey market route, you will save a pretty penny.
Canon Digital Camera Price - jjmehta.com

I actually need to gift the DSLR to my father on his birthday. He is more into photography, I dont know anything apart from point and shoot. He had mentioned once that he wanted a SLR camera (he has handled a few) . Most of the shooting would be people, occasions and nature. Since he tours a lot I guess I should also include places. Money is not a big problem, I am willing to shell out around 50k will also look for 0% finance options.

Based on the responses here and my limited knowledge, I think it would be a better idea to ask him first even though it would ruin the surprise.

^ Not necessarily. If your looking for the 0% finance option then grey is out of the question.

Else if your going the grey route, you can easily fit a Canon 450D / Nikon D60 into your budget along with a nice Tamron 17-50 zoom. Will do great for people and occasions, he'll be more than delighted!

Then get the 400D for 39k and a Tamron 17-50 for 16k. 5k over but the Tamron's colours and sharpness are to die for.

And DON'T but the kit lens (That would probably drop the body down a few k's.)

^The 450D comes with the 18-55 IS - its better built than the other non IS kit lens. You can check out its reviews as well.
Also, there is no way the 400D costs 39K - it costs about 31-32K WITH warranty.

As much as I'd love to argue about the worthiness of going for an alternate dSLR system (meaning, Sony/A-mount), since you're gifting this to your dad and are not yourself getting into photography yourself...I'd suggest going with the mass option.

Having said that, 39k for a 400D is carnage. The D80 kit with warranty comes for around 28k-30k now in Mumbai, the Olympus E-510 with kit-lens and warranty comes for 27k and the Canon 450D with the 18-55 IS lens comes for 47k. So someone's blowing smoke up your behind. :)

I'd say gift the SLR to your dad and let him make his choices when it comes to lenses. Anish, the 17-50 is a great lens (considering I just bought it for the A-mount :D ), BUT his dad's better equipped to make a judgement for his use isn't he? Plus the kit lens covers the basic range with IS anyway. :)

@Anish: Is that 17-50 available for the A-mount as well? Any idea of Indian sellers for lenses (Sigma/Tamron/Sony) for the A-mount? Bloody difficult to find. :( I have to use the KMD route for all my needs apparently.

Payne

>>I'd say gift the SLR to your dad and let him make his choices when it comes to lenses.

That is a good idea. I guess the kit lens is good enough for starting.

Back