Camera Which SLR camera to buy?

Anish said:
Trust me, gift him the Tamron 17-50. The kit lens (Even the one with IS) is a joke in front of it.

The one with IS has better optics. Check dpreview for the lens review. I used it as well, its much sharper and has more contrast (the typical softness of the non IS kit lens is absent). Included in the camera price for the 450D, its a no brainer.

@Anish - interesting, the optical equipment in your sig. Do you have a flickr link? :) . The 50mm f1.8 is a very good piece of glass.

AK3D said:
The one with IS has better optics. Check dpreview for the lens review. I used it as well, its much sharper and has more contrast (the typical softness of the non IS kit lens is absent). Included in the camera price for the 450D, its a no brainer.
Yep but still the 2.8 aperture on the Tamron beats the IS model anyday, plus the Tamron is wayy to sharp! In fact Chaos and Me has tested the 18-55 IS long before it was available in mass production, its a very impressive lens in its own right.

AK3D said:
@Anish - interesting, the optical equipment in your sig. Do you have a flickr link? :) . The 50mm f1.8 is a very good piece of glass.
Heh nope, you can scan the photography thread, hardly any time to shoot. The 50 1.8 is great! Waiting for a proper match for the 40D though, maybe a 24-105 f4L!

@Anish: Am not disputing the technical superiority or the versatility of the f2.8 17-50 Tamron (that constant f2.8 is a great factor!) BUT all am saying is that since it's a gift, and his dad is going to be using it...isn't it better if he lets his dad choose the lens? :)

The dSLR will be a good surprise but the choices of lens should be upto. What if he is more into shooting with primes or a telephoto kinda person or a macro-enthusiast? :D

@netwitx: Well, yeah. I was at the camera stores near VT the other day and they quoted me 21k for the D40 kit with warranty and 29k for the D80 with warranty (some guy was ready for 28k). You can always hunt around. It's very easy to get the Canon 350D/400D/450D and the Nikon D40/D60/D80 in shops there. But no availability or support for other systems. :(

Payne

Back