Storage Solutions Which SSD for games storage for around 5-6k?

As far as i know 970 had temp issues a while back which were fixed by firmware update.
I would suggest u wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to comment and then choose one of the two drives .
U can buy from anywhere ,regarding md they are also one of the genuine sellers

As far as i know 970 had temp issues a while back which were fixed by firmware update.
I would suggest u wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to comment and then choose one of the two drives .
U can buy from anywhere ,regarding md they are also one of the genuine sellers
No such thing, 970 evo plus has always been known to run hotter than usual. Samsung latest 980 pro & 990 pro have firmware issues. One can get WD SN570 or SN770 for use as windows OS drive or game drive & both will work just fine.

If you have an NVME port that's GEN4 then WD black 850x, Samsung 980 pro, Seagate firecuda 530.
GEN 3 port then - Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

If you want to same some money then too get the Samsung 970 EVO Plus difference will only be minor and mostly on load times of large cutscenes.

While all above drives in 2023 are reliable unless you get them second hand (which you can just update firmware to resolve issues), you honestly dont need reliabilty as much in gaming, just back up the save files.

If you have an NVME port that's GEN4 then WD black 850x, Samsung 980 pro, Seagate firecuda 530.
GEN 3 port then - Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

If you want to same some money then too get the Samsung 970 EVO Plus difference will only be minor and mostly on load times of large cutscenes.

While all above drives in 2023 are reliable unless you get them second hand (which you can just update firmware to resolve issues), you honestly dont need reliabilty as much in gaming, just back up the save files.
For a typical user having fastest/top of the end gen 4 NVMe drives makes no practical difference especially as secondary/gaming drive(you can check detailed reviews on techpowerup as 7000MB/s sequential speeds aren't the only things which decide faster loading of a game). 970 Evo Plus is old tech not to mention it also runs hotter than usual so not recommended for pc/laptops with restricted air flow not to mention a good newer tech gen 4 budget drive will still leave it behind except for sequential speeds involving dozens of GB of data which again is something a typical user will rarely encounter.

For a typical user having fastest/top of the end gen 4 NVMe drives makes no practical difference especially as secondary/gaming drive(you can check detailed reviews on techpowerup as 7000MB/s sequential speeds aren't the only things which decide faster loading of a game). 970 Evo Plus is old tech not to mention it also runs hotter than usual so not recommended for pc/laptops with restricted air flow not to mention a good newer tech gen 4 budget drive will still leave it behind except for sequential speeds involving dozens of GB of data which again is something a typical user will rarely encounter.
970 Evo plus is gold standard of budget pcie3 drives.
It has Dram cache and is from samsung and comes at a good price (1TB). Check the thousands of reviews - https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Internal-Solid-State-MZ-V7S1T0BW/dp/B07MBQPQ62
Never heard of temps issue. As long as the temp doesnt affect its health why care about temps. Its one of the most popular drives and is branded. Cant get better than samsung.

It might not have highest reads and writes but its a solid dram cache drive, and from samsung. I dont see why anyone should pick anything else if on a budget. And if you are picking pcie4 then go for WD black, 980 pro, firecuda 530 etc for a little more.

(Im comparing prices for 1TB.)

SN850x -7300
980pro - 7300 (performance choice)
XPG GAMMIX S70 -5200
Firecuda 530 - 7300
970 evo plus - 4500 (reliability choice)

(prices post card discount)

Of the above, Only XPG one is lower priced pcie4 but its an ADATA brand. So beware, but performance is great. Its 2tb is also well priced at 9500 post discount. But I chose Firecuda 530 for much higher tbw and for it not being adata lol. I hear bad reviews on and off about adata drives. Also had 2 die on me so..
I dont even consider Kingston, silicon power and other low grade brands since I prefer reliability. Plus price difference vs performnce diff is not much. You lose something with cheaper pricing.

I dont even consider Kingston, silicon power and other low grade brands since I prefer reliability. Plus price difference vs performnce diff is not much. You lose something with cheaper pricing.
Happily using Kingston A400 QLC with no DRAM as a game drive for years.
On the contrary, had a Sabrent Rocket 3.0 1TB die suddenly on me.

That said, 970 Evo is probably the best bang for the buck right now for general use.

BUT for OP's use case of gaming specifically, I would suggest the cheapest option. And that means QLC w/ no DRAM. The performance difference between even a SATA and a NVMe is barely noticeable for game load times. More space is just better than better specs. And since you can just download the game again, reliability is not really a priority. Pure gaming doesn't stress an SSD as much as other use-cases anyway.

TLDR:
For pure gaming: Crucial P3 1TB PCIe 3.0 @ 4k + card discount = 3.6k
For general/OS use: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TBPCIe 3.0 @ 5.1k + card discount = 4.6k

They have 1 line that's like that, the NV1 and NV2, where they mix components to achieve a lower cost. Doesn't mean the brand Kingston is "low grade".
Samsung ****ed up with the 980 pro firmware and killed drives, does that mean Samsung is now low grade?

970 Evo plus is gold standard of budget pcie3 drives.
It has Dram cache and is from samsung and comes at a good price (1TB). Check the thousands of reviews - https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-Internal-Solid-State-MZ-V7S1T0BW/dp/B07MBQPQ62
Never heard of temps issue. As long as the temp doesnt affect its health why care about temps. Its one of the most popular drives and is branded. Cant get better than samsung.

It might not have highest reads and writes but its a solid dram cache drive, and from samsung. I dont see why anyone should pick anything else if on a budget. And if you are picking pcie4 then go for WD black, 980 pro, firecuda 530 etc for a little more.

(Im comparing prices for 1TB.)

SN850x -7300
980pro - 7300 (performance choice)
XPG GAMMIX S70 -5200
Firecuda 530 - 7300
970 evo plus - 4500 (reliability choice)

(prices post card discount)

Of the above, Only XPG one is lower priced pcie4 but its an ADATA brand. So beware, but performance is great. Its 2tb is also well priced at 9500 post discount. But I chose Firecuda 530 for much higher tbw and for it not being adata lol. I hear bad reviews on and off about adata drives. Also had 2 die on me so..
If you want the most reference source on internet for anything ssd related then just go here:

The unit idles at roughly 45!50 Degrees C, the peak stress temperature measured hovers at roughly 72 Degrees C on the controller if not cooled.

1691487853447.png

I can also confirm the above, in my desktop with well ventilation the 970 evo plus is always the hottest drive by at least 6-7C even when it is doing almost nothing(disk usage hovers around 1%).

Yes it is more reliable but even there as per NewMaxx outside of very specific usage scenarios(like video editing which rely heavily on sustained sequential read write speeds) WD SN770 is faster & cooler running. WDSN770 is currently the most recommended budget NVMe drive by him.

Good that we also do extensive real-life testing with actual applications (not disk traces) and the drive at 80% full, which is much harder to optimize for. Here, the WD Black SN770 achieves unbelievable results that match or exceed the more expensive and higher-positioned WD Black SN850, Samsung 980 Pro, and Kingston KC3000.

Your point?
Point is that buying a specific ssd model from a manufacturer who ships that model with lottery based hardware specs is risky because you never know what you will get. NV2 comes in multiple hardware configurations the worst of which is not even worth considering for the price while the best of it may be even worth more than its price so its pure gamble.

For gaming, NVMe vs SATA doesn't matter as much as you might think. Sure, NVMe drives are faster than SATA drives, but the difference in loading times for games is usually negligible. In most cases, you're better off getting the cheapest SSD you can find, whether it's NVMe or SATA.
I recently bought an EVM 1TB SATA SSD from ssdonly online for 3K, and it works great. It's not the fastest SSD on the market, but it's plenty fast for gaming. I'm able to load my games quickly and without any lag.

For my boot drive, I prefer to use a fast NVMe SSD with DRAM. This will give me the fastest possible boot times and overall system performance. However, it's not necessary for gaming.

Back