Storage Solutions Which SSD to get form US ?

I was planning to get an SSD from US was thinking of the following

1. Mushkin Callisto 60GB SSD- $150
2. RealSSD Crucial C300- $150
3. Intel X25-V - $100 (since its much cheaper)

Any other suggestions would also do, max budget $150...

paranj said:
+1 for Intel
please stop spamming and only post when you are contributing some knowledge from your side..

@ OP - if you want performance then get a Mushkin Callisto 60GB SSD but it will be PITA if you want to get it RMA'ed as you'll need to send it back to US for RMA.

that's why i have suggested you intel as you can get it RMA'ed here as well,provided you retain the original invoice of the purchase.. :)

NAV33N said:
please stop spamming and only post when you are contributing some knowledge from your side..

@ OP - if you want performance then get a Mushkin Callisto 60GB SSD but it will be PITA if you want to get it RMA'ed as you'll need to send it back to US for RMA.

that's why i have suggested you intel as you can get it RMA'ed here as well,provided you retain the original invoice of the purchase.. :)
I wasn't spamming, I was posting my views... is it not what forums are about ? And if you think I was spamming, you could just report me.

i'm using Gskill 64GB (INDILINX controller) and OCZ VERTEX 2 (60GB extended) (SANDFORCE controller)...out of both OCZ is good...

i bought Gskill from Primeabgb for 11,500

and ocz from ebay global for 9500

If you are planning for using them on laptop, then get a hdd caddy and put a normal hdd for other content.

also, dont use xp, it will suck the blood out of ssd's...

hope this helps...

correct me if i'm wrong but AFAIK Mushkin Callisto is also based on Sandforce Controller.

Mushkin is also available in India via PhOeNiX registered dealer here at at TE,check out dealers paradise for more details.

also,you can go for Corsair Force 40GB SSD which costs about 7k INR it is also based on SF Controller.

Corsair SSD's are also available in India via mediahome.in,he's also a dealer here at TE.. :)

first check your system if it has AHCI support or else u'll be stuck with degraded performance...i'm stuck at udma 5 on my old laptop...

anyways, go for sandforce controller ones...they are good with read and write....

i would recommend OCZ Vertex 2 (Sequential Access - Read: up to 280MB/s & Sequential Access - Write: up to 270MB/s) the OCZ agility series has similar specs and price but has lower IOPS AFAIK so avoid it.

you did not mention which crucial realSSD C300 you want to buy, $150 range ones do not have good specs, avoid them.

Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe also has good specs, but i have not read much about them, still it looks good

stalker said:
If you plan on getting it from the US for sure, then get the Vertex2.. It retails for around 140.. +- 20
but if in future on has to get it RMA'ed then he has to bear the huge shipping charges + pray that it doesn't gets lost while in transit..

it would be better to spend a few bucks more & avail the local warranty. :)

NAV33N said:
but if in future on has to get it RMA'ed then he has to bear the huge shipping charges + pray that it doesn't gets lost while in transit..

it would be better to spend a few bucks more & avail the local warranty. :)
Exactly why I added the IF to my comment.

IF he is getting it from the US (for whatever reasons), the Vertex2 is the fastest drive that is also affordable currently.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Performance wise Mushkin would be better IMO.

The Vertex2's are better specced than the Callisto's.

Thanks to the agreement OCZ has with Sandforce, they get the best/fastest firmware.

@ SSD experts:

At a related note, I have a few queries. What is the performance difference we are looking at when buying a SSD. I have done a bit of search on TE and the internet but I am not really able to understand the head to head difference. For example if I take my current laptop and plonk in a SSD, what difference in performance do I see. Will my startup/shutdown be faster by X% (I wanna know the range). Will I see an increase in battery life (Technically there should be as the revolving HDD will be gone) but by what percentage.

Also somebody mentioned about not running XP on a SSD. Care to explain why? Call me old fashioned but I prefer XP to other OS anyday. I am also in a habit of formatting the HDD and reinstalling the OS once every 3 months. Will this harm the SSD in any way. I also run software like Solid Edge etc for CAD modelling and stuff. Is SSD helpful in any way or should be avoided for any reason?

Please help as I am a total noob when it comes to SSD :ashamed:

motorheadinc said:
@ SSD experts:

At a related note, I have a few queries. What is the performance difference we are looking at when buying a SSD. I have done a bit of search on TE and the internet but I am not really able to understand the head to head difference. For example if I take my current laptop and plonk in a SSD, what difference in performance do I see. Will my startup/shutdown be faster by X% (I wanna know the range). Will I see an increase in battery life (Technically there should be as the revolving HDD will be gone) but by what percentage.

Also somebody mentioned about not running XP on a SSD. Care to explain why? Call me old fashioned but I prefer XP to other OS anyday. I am also in a habit of formatting the HDD and reinstalling the OS once every 3 months. Will this harm the SSD in any way. I also run software like Solid Edge etc for CAD modelling and stuff. Is SSD helpful in any way or should be avoided for any reason?

Please help as I am a total noob when it comes to SSD :ashamed:
Thanks for calling me an expert :D

Boot/shutdown times will see improvements of roughly 50-70%. My boottimes have fallen from a minute or so to 20seconds flat. Shutdowns are even faster.

Day to day affairs will be snappier.. though I have to admit that after a while you will stop noticing that as you become accustomed to it :)

Don't really know how much of an effect the SSD has had on my battery performance since I never bothered to check. I do know that I've virtually eliminated hdd noise now that my regular mechanical drive is accessed much more infrequently and the OS parks it when its not being used.

Dunno about the advice against using XP. On the other hand I would suggest that you shift up to Win7. You can even forget about reinstalling the OS every 3 months once you do that :). 7 has been super stable for me (and pretty much all those I know who are using it).

I don't really think an SSD is gonna help with CAD sw unless you are frequently loading/saving very heavy biggish files. But then, you'll mostly not be storing them on the SSD if they ARE big/heavy.

I have a 64GB SSD that stores my OS + Apps + Steam folder. Apps + OS + Steam games load times are super snappy and that has kept me very happy given that I'm on a not so great laptop in the first place.

So would you guys rate the OCZ Vertex 2 higher than the Crucial C300?? I'm talking about a 128/256GB drive. Where do the Corsair SSDs fit in here?

Edrill said:
So would you guys rate the OCZ Vertex 2 higher than the Crucial C300?? I'm talking about a 128/256GB drive. Where do the Corsair SSDs fit in here?
The crucials which have the SATA6Gbps port are faster. The corsairs are going to be slower since they have the generic firmware which comes with the SF1200 chip. The Vertex2's get the same firmware thats there on the more expensive SF1500 based drives. As a result they are the fastest SATA3Gbps drives right now

Thanks for the reply Stalky. As I told before I am kind of averse to the idea of shifting to another OS and I kind of like formatting every 3 months :p

So the XP issue is not real? Right. Plus the SSD, does it make the laptop run cooler overall???

I dont play games online but I do have one firefox (10-15 tabs), word docs, pdfs , excel sheets plus the CAD software open most of the time. And the
AIMP player, Utorrent and skype is always running in the background. I kind of load my lappy. Will the SSD benefit me. Plus is it advisable to buy from UK.
Frankly the prices here for everything are even higher than that in India. So should I buy from US. Any site which can ship to UK for reasonable price?

Back