Storage Solutions Which SSD to get form US ?

Udit said:
I've read that only OCZ & Crucial have issues
Not everybody reports issues when they have them. At the end of the day its just another electrical/electronic product with a bazillion components. While they can be a lot more reliable than mechanical devices, we can't make a blanket statement claiming that they don't require warranty services. If that were so, why would manufacturers even offer warranty on them?

stalker said:
Not everybody reports issues when they have them. At the end of the day its just another electrical/electronic product with a bazillion components. While they can be a lot more reliable than mechanical devices, we can't make a blanket statement claiming that they don't require warranty services. If that were so, why would manufacturers even offer warranty on them?
they offer because death is their faith at the end of the day

I don't feel a SSD will ever need warranty if a computers other components are good quality

Lets say the SSD is damaged during transit when its kept along something with electrostatic effect or even worse some friendly neighbourhood kid decided to try his magnetic sticker on your cabinet. What happens then. Warranty may be required not only during the service life but also to safegauard the buyer against DOA. Electronics are not immortal. They are as or I would say even more vulnerable than humans as they dont have an immune system :cool2: . Haven't you seen perfectly healthy vegetarian, non smoking, non drinking people having heart attacks.

Udit said:
Mushkin Callisto Deluxe I hope

Yea the deluxe one, when can you expect the SSD to fail......
Guess warranty is important but have a friends who visit US every couple of months...so can always send it back...

motorheadinc said:
some friendly neighbourhood kid decided to try his magnetic sticker on your cabinet.
Nothing would happen. I can vouch for it. Not at least if it is an SSD. :p

motorheadinc said:
That was the answer I was looking for :)
Will do some search on XP on SSD and decide whether to take a plunge or not. I dont defrag a lot. I just format it every 3 months :p
You do not need an SSD at all. You don't even play games, recall what was said, faster seek times, that means need to read random bits from the HDD often, won't matter much in your usage scenario.

All you will see is faster bootup times which you can get if you hibernate anyway. So not worth it for the price, and it is rather high for what you get.

But, if you wait a cpl of years, how much larger in capacity will SSD's get and by how much cheaper will they become ;)

motorheadinc said:
I currently have to use my lappy on a hard document folder to ensure proper airflow underneath the Laptop. It would be good to use the same without the extra layer.
HDD's aren't exactly a source of heat, so getting one that puts out little less won't make too much of a difference, the problem lies elsewhere.

motorheadinc said:
OK let me get some monies first and then I will take the plunge.
Oops..

motorheadinc said:
Frankly the laptop is fast enough for my use but I wont mind the extra speed and the battery life.
Minimal at best, rather its the apps you use that will make the biggest difference to whether to get a SSD or not.

motorheadinc said:
On a related note how does ubuntu perform on SSD? One of my friends claims that battery life on Ubuntu is more than in XP on the same laptop. Is he correct?
Depends how you configure the power options.

on a unrelated note, why do you install XP every 3 months, why don't you use an imaging app instead, so much quicker. Create a stock build and you can zap that every 3 months if you like.

on a unrelated note, why do you install XP every 3 months, why don't you use an imaging app instead, so much quicker. Create a stock build and you can zap that every 3 months if you like.

You will not understand, it's fun reinstalling it, :)

Back