Which Wifi ADSL Modem + Router to get? - URGENT

Corleone

Adept
Hey,

I was think of making my home Wifi enabled - G or N depends on cost. My Laptops and Netbook has Wifi G and NOT N.

My requirements are as follows:

• ADSL Modem + Router
  • 4 Physical LAN Ports
  • Wifi b/g or may N - N is optional
  • Flexible enough to configure Port forwarding and stuff
  • WPA Security Comptabile
  • Should work with BSNL Broadband without problems

I've got prices for the followsing:

Netgear DG834G - Rs. 3,300/-

OR

DLink 2604T - Rs. 3,475/-

why dont u opt for the one given by bsnl itself? They give type 4 model for 1600 or 1800 Rs. And has all features u listed. Unless you want advanced features no point in spending more.

I have BSNL Connection for years and I opted for buying my own ADSL Modem then. So, I bought a DLink GLB-502T Modem and in conjunction with Netgear RP614v2 Wired Router I am using it for my home network.

Now, I want to go wireless and will sell the DLink Modem and Netgear Wired Router so I need a new Wireless ADSL Modem + Router. That is the reason I need to spend.

So, what you guys say? - Linksys, Belkin, Buffalo, Netgear, Dlink - which one?

Also, all my devices are Wifi G so, is it worthwhile to by Pre-N or should I stick with Wifi G Modem/Router?

Today I got a ADSL router from MTNL with all the features you have mentioned (barring n), I had to pay Rs. 300 more as security deposit and Rs. 25 more per month for router rental (total Rs. 75 a month).

Yogesh Sarkar said:
Today I got a ADSL router from MTNL with all the features you have mentioned (barring n), I had to pay Rs. 300 more as security deposit and Rs. 25 more per month for router rental (total Rs. 75 a month).

I need to buy one as I have already mentioned and donot want some chinese make provided by BSNL/MTNL.

Do NOT buy Netgear DG834G, the signal strength is horrible. I have 2 of them and they both suck. One of the cheapest and most stable modem is the Beetel 220BX1. Its better if you get that and a dedicated wireless router to use in bridged mode. If you are not interested in DD-WRT or Tomato or custom firmware for the router, then get a Linksys router as they have the best range.

Torch said:
Do NOT buy Netgear DG834G, the signal strength is horrible. I have 2 of them and they both suck. One of the cheapest and most stable modem is the Beetel 220BX1. Its better if you get that and a dedicated wireless router to use in bridged mode. If you are not interested in DD-WRT or Tomato or custom firmware for the router, then get a Linksys router as they have the best range.

How is Linksys WAG54G2

I got a quote for Rs. 3500/- for it.

Corleone said:
Then which one do you suggest? Not Beetel not comfortable with that brand.

How's dlink 2604T?

I meant buy Beetel MODEM only. Use a dedicated router in Bridged mode with the modem. Dedicated routers are more stable generally than modem+router.

The problem with D-Link is that it locks up when there is a slight power fluctuation. So you need to keep it connected to a UPS/Stabilizer. I had an old D-Link modem that used to do this and am now having the same problem with a D-Link 8 Port Gigabit Switch.

Actual I have the following now:

DLink 502T Modem

Netgear RP614v2 Wired Router

I want to replace this with ONE single device with added Wifi capability

Corleone said:
any first hand experience with it?

I don't own one, but I stayed at my friends place which had one for a couple of days and was torrenting stuff, it seemed stable. WiFi worked pretty decently with two PSPs.

Torch said:
I don't own one, but I stayed at my friends place which had one for a couple of days and was torrenting stuff, it seemed stable. WiFi worked pretty decently with two PSPs.

Hmmm....

Amazon seems to have better ratings/reviews for the netgear than the linksys

Back