Which wired LTE router?

superczar

Skilled
I need to replace an old gemtek airtel wired router as it has been acting flakey.

The device will be used purely as a backup line that goes wired to the primary router.
The wifi module etc will be disabled 100% of the time.
The only aspect that matters is that it should maintain a stable LTE connection that can sit in standby till the primary fails - and then again sit in standby when the primary recovers.

I see a bunch of options from TP Link/ D-link on amazon but there seems to very little info on what difference, if any between them.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

You can check out TP-Link MR series routers, also you can check out Mikrotik SXT outdoor routers like the airtel gemtek one.
I did take a look at the TPL MR series - but couldn’t find any info on their site (or elsewhere) about what differences between the different models , if any (other than the wireless stack)
I am inclined to order the MR-100 (cheapest variant) but don’t want to end up with a device that has a poor WWAN module compared to the pricier ones

I'd also be interested in getting an LTE router (I have an Airtel "data" SIM too) especially one that could do carrier aggregation on various bands for higher speeds.

I'd also be interested in getting an LTE router (I have an Airtel "data" SIM too) especially one that could do carrier aggregation on various bands for higher speeds.
The MR600 seems to be only locally available router that I could find that supports band aggregation.
It does not seem particularly cheap (8.5K ) but there is a 10% card discount for today.
Do you think band aggregation would help in India? I seem to have good signal on both band 40 and band 3 at the location I intend to put this at.
On a side note, i thin it supports wired WAN/ LTE failover directly on the device itself so that would help your cause consdiering it comes with gbe ports (though does not offer any additional advantage to me)

The other alternative is MR100 at 4.5K but it does not have band aggregation.

On a side note pertaining to our last convo, I downgraded the Airtel fiber to 300mbps as gbe wasn't making any practical difference and the pricing difference was substantial.

Last edited:
Band aggregation should increase speed, but only if there is matching support between the router and the provider... meaning so called inter and intra band support should be available and overlap for any benefits.

@superczar do update this thread after you try the mr600 with your airtel sim... I'm especially interested in seeing if there is a speed boost due to aggregation.

hi @superczar , how has your experience been with MR600 and airtel ?
@superczar do update this thread after you try the mr600 with your airtel sim... I'm especially interested in seeing if there is a speed boost due to aggregation.
Seems to be working fine.
I have decent lte coverage in my area so speed tests seems to indicate anywhere between 15-60 mbps depending on time of day.

I can’t say for certain how good the connection quality is as a primary connection because it’s a failover line.
Having said that, There have been couple of short outages on the primary (Airtel fiber) and they haven’t been noticed by anyone in the house so I suppose it’s doing the intended job.

Back