CPU/Mobo Who is Best AMD Phenom-II vs INTEL i5/i7 vs AMD APU vs Sandy Bridge plz help

kb.tendulkar

Disciple
hello guy,

i am a true fan of AMD Phenom-II Quad Core Processor and above. As I heard from so many users that Intel i5 is better any other and i7 is best from all..

But still I am confuse which is the best processor. Also there are 2 new processors in the market i.e AMD APU and INTEL Sandybridge...

So from all these above processor who is best in terms of performance and efficiency. power consumtion does't matter for me. I am just looking for the best processor.

Also i know only some basics that for better performance no. of cores and Cache Memory should be more. But i guess there must be some other featutes that helps the processor to increase its performance. So, Plz help me to clear my confusion....

thx

i5 2500K are a hot pick these days but things can change when amd buldozer arrive in september

if you are in hurry then get your hand on i5

You mean i3 is better than Phenom X6??

any proof??

Zloyd said:
i3 is better than Phailom 2 doesnt matter 4 core or 6 core :p

@OP

we cant suggest you unless you state your budget for mobo+proccy, and your estimate field of usage.

hellgate said:
If budget is not an issue then get a i7 2600k. Its one of the best performing proccy thats available in the market today.

ohh u mean i7 is best from all processors.. ohh k ... can u plz give me the key features of i7 than any other processor ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

dOm1naTOr said:
You mean i3 is better than Phenom X6??
any proof??

@OP

we cant suggest you unless you state your budget for mobo+proccy, and your estimate field of usage.
my budget is around 6-8k, within that who is best ?

kartikoli said:
i5 2500K are a hot pick these days but things can change when amd buldozer arrive in september

if you are in hurry then get your hand on i5

plz give me the link of AMD buldozer or tell me some features of that...

Zloyd said:
i3 is better than Phailom 2 doesnt matter 4 core or 6 core :p
Zloyd plz give me the exact key difference between them...thx

Zloyd said:
AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Edit : Oh man but the X6 cinebench scores are totally amazing, almost double the dual core !!!
ohh this difference between i3 and Amd Phenom X6 is good..

but i think its biased bcoz i3 is dual core and AMD phenom X6 is six core with more cache

so clearly Phenom-X6 is the winner in terms of core and cache..

reply...

6-8k budget...i dont think you can get i5 or i7... i mean best processor wont be available in that price range. again mobo's are little exp if you think of i5 2500 or i7 models.

Nice read but Does it compare same in mobile platform also

How will a i3/i5 stand against an AMD Quad-Core A6

I was going to buy a laptop with a dedicated graphics card

Not for gaming but 3D and modelling

So whats the result ?

Op sorry for hijacking your thread but seeing the AMD vs Intel discussion couldnt stop myself from

avi_avadhut said:
6-8k budget...i dont think you can get i5 or i7... i mean best processor wont be available in that price range. again mobo's are little exp if you think of i5 2500 or i7 models.

ohh sad then :(

but still m interested to know the best processor and then next and next like that..

that means best is i7 then i5 like that

kuduku said:
So whats the result ?

Op sorry for hijacking your thread but seeing the AMD vs Intel discussion couldnt stop myself from

no problem dude.. i also want to see i5/i7 against AMD X4 and X6 and Fusion :)

^^ Okay the solution to this query is -- what do you expect of your PC?

--> Do you want to game,

--> day to day activities like movies, surfing, spreadsheet crunching,

--> entertainment hub, casual gaming,

--> strictly office PC,

--> heavy work primarly audio / video encoding / editing, 3D workload etc.,

after all this the major impediment is your budget.

Depending on your budget and work-load, you might get better performance from an AMD based solution OR an Intel solution -- core-to-core, clock-to-clock AMD processors fall behind Intel counterparts -- Tom's CPU Architecture Shootout: 16 CPUs, One Core Each, And 3 GHz : A Real (Theoretical) Performance Shootout, but on core based situations a cheap AMD quad-core will still hold its own to an Intel dual-core [Core i3 2100 vs. Athlon IIx4], in gaming on a low budget [Intel Core i3 2100 outperforms AMD quads], AMD Thubans [hex-cores are purely number crunching monsters, their performance in games is abysmal also they sip a hefty amount of power at it],

for a HTPC / casual gaming RIG [~30000/-] the best bet current days is the AMD Llano processor combining a Athlon IIx4 -- quad with a AMD HD 6550 IGP on the CPU die itself comfortably rips through most current generation games @full HD with low detailing -- http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/amd-fusion-a8-3850-review-igp-195501.html / AnandTech - AMD A8-3850 : An HTPC Perspective.

For gaming on a budget [~35000/-] get the Intel Core i3 2100 -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

For a moderate budget build [~45000/-] oriented as a power-performer bag the Core i5 2400 / 2500 -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

For a proper RIG which does it all [~60000/-], the Core i5 2500k is your best bet -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Budget no bar, get either Intel Core i7 980X OR Core i7 2600k -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

For a office machine for strictly official use with minimum of load [~20000/-] AMD Athlon IIx2 / IIx3 are good -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

For a rendering slave / number cruncher on a budget [~30000/-] AMD IIx6 1075 / 1090T -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

No comments on AMD Bulldozer as it has not been released and has no reliable data to back-up its claims [apart from company claims by AMD]. I hope this helps the situation instead of disolving it into a morass of Intel vs. AMD at price points. I've given a rough comparison of all Intel / AMD processors at the price points that I've mentioned, please check the links.

Hope this was a good read, Cheers Sire(s).

P.S. Iwould like to thank Dark Star Sir for his brilliant write up on the AMD Llano platform.

kuduku said:

So whats the result ?

AMD Llano based laptops should make an entry in the Indian market soon, they've a good balance of gaming power [indicative of the 3D processing capabilities] and processor power on the laptop front, better if you are looking for a gaming laptop which will have a spartan electricity affinity.

Here are some articles on the same --

http://tbreak.com/tech/2011/06/amd-llano-a8-3500m-apu-review/ / http://www.anandtech.com/show/4444/amd-llano-notebook-review-a-series-fusion-apu-a8-3500m / http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/AMD-Llano-APU-Review/Product-Position-and-Graphics-Engine.

Hope this helps, Sire.

Alpha is spot on. One thing I would like to add is - A8-3850 crossfires well with HD 6570 or HD 6670 and with further driver updates it will be even more attractive. So, for the 35k budget rig, a HD 6570/6670 + A8-3850 will perform better than a i3 2100 + 6570/6670. At 40k budget, once we move into 6770/6850 territory, the i3 2100 becomes the best deal.

ALPHA17 said:
^^ Okay the solution to this query is -- what do you expect of your PC?

--> Do you want to game,
--> day to day activities like movies, surfing, spreadsheet crunching,
--> entertainment hub, casual gaming,
--> strictly office PC,
--> heavy work primarly audio / video encoding / editing, 3D workload etc.,

after all this the major impediment is your budget.

Depending on your budget and work-load, you might get better performance from an AMD based solution OR an Intel solution -- core-to-core, clock-to-clock AMD processors fall behind Intel counterparts -- Tom's CPU Architecture Shootout: 16 CPUs, One Core Each, And 3 GHz : A Real (Theoretical) Performance Shootout, but on core based situations a cheap AMD quad-core will still hold its own to an Intel dual-core [Core i3 2100 vs. Athlon IIx4], in gaming on a low budget [Intel Core i3 2100 outperforms AMD quads], AMD Thubans [hex-cores are purely number crunching monsters, their performance in games is abysmal also they sip a hefty amount of power at it],

for a HTPC / casual gaming RIG [~30000/-] the best bet current days is the AMD Llano processor combining a Athlon IIx4 -- quad with a AMD HD 6550 IGP on the CPU die itself comfortably rips through most current generation games @full HD with low detailing -- http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/amd-fusion-a8-3850-review-igp-195501.html / AnandTech - AMD A8-3850 : An HTPC Perspective.

For gaming on a budget [~35000/-] get the Intel Core i3 2100 -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

For a moderate budget build [~45000/-] oriented as a power-performer bag the Core i5 2400 / 2500 -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

For a proper RIG which does it all [~60000/-], the Core i5 2500k is your best bet -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

Budget no bar, get either Intel Core i7 980X OR Core i7 2600k -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

For a office machine for strictly official use with minimum of load [~20000/-] AMD Athlon IIx2 / IIx3 are good -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

For a rendering slave / number cruncher on a budget [~30000/-] AMD IIx6 1075 / 1090T -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU

No comments on AMD Bulldozer as it has not been released and has no reliable data to back-up its claims [apart from company claims by AMD]. I hope this helps the situation instead of disolving it into a morass of Intel vs. AMD at price points. I've given a rough comparison of all Intel / AMD processors at the price points that I've mentioned, please check the links.

Hope this was a good read, Cheers Sire(s).

P.S. Iwould like to thank Dark Star Sir for his brilliant write up on the AMD Llano platform.

AMD Llano based laptops should make an entry in the Indian market soon, they've a good balance of gaming power [indicative of the 3D processing capabilities] and processor power on the laptop front, better if you are looking for a gaming laptop which will have a spartan electricity affinity.
Here are some articles on the same --

AMD Llano A8-3500M APU Review | t-break: Tech @ Its Fastest / AnandTech - The AMD Llano Notebook Review: Competing in the Mobile Market / AMD A-Series Llano APU Sabine Notebook Platform Review | Product Position and Graphics Engine.

Hope this helps, Sire.
first of all thx for this detailed info..

my requirements are gaming, educational (VS 2008+Oracle 11g) and heavy multitasking

also my budget is around 30k

so i guess i3 and AMD Llano are fine for my requirements...

also plz reply on "Sandy Bridge" Processor..

is it good for gaming, educational and heavy multitasking?

plz

sandybridge are really good processors but intel dual core SB will cost some thing around AMD quad core so now we have to decide between the two

its always advices to pick VFM [value for money ] product rather that going for expensive new releases unless you are a complete hardware freak

ALPHA17 said:
Yeah initial catalyst releases have been buggy, but come on its still better than Intel's minimalist package. It'll come of age and will iron out most problems.

Usually is like that when a new series of accelerators are released. Takes a while for the ATI team to age them and mature 'em..!

Back