iOS Why Apple doesn't talk RAM, battery size, or clock speed

Not sure what's the age of many of the guys above this post are, until 29 years of age, I was tinkering with Android phones and felt little exiciting.
I am 37 now. I don't have time or energy and will to play around with phones. Just want something that works Eveytime I pick it up. iPhone is servicing exactly the way I want and I am happy. I don't even have latest, I have a 5 year old 6s.
I am 36, and I left modding maybe 6-7 years back. Once life gets a hold of you, you just want stuff to work and not crash.

You should be smoking something to believe Android has better hardware than an iPhone. uhm uhm, brain of the phone, cpu says hi. rumors has it A14 is already faster than *upcoming* 2021 snapdragon 888. pls don't tell me a tech nerd like you don't care about benchmarks.
Ahem, even A13 is faster in single core.
maybe high school kids argue over how much ram and megapixels their phone has. it doesn't mean shit. oh maybe the group of people who are easily gullible by those chinese phone manufacturers who release a phone everyday bringing new colors and an extra gb of ram.
my 10k phone has fOuR cAmeRas. iPhone has 2 costing 10x more, LoL suCh loSerS and sheEps.

Only decent user experience available on Android is Samsung. But even then their camera software and Exynos chips sucks ass even today. Don't even talk about Oneplus and pixel stock android beta testing software. I had a Oneplus 7 pro last year.

Why is there a need to list out specs for a laptop?
Because there exists a thing called CTO where one can modify the components according to his/her need and budget and there are multiple variants of the hardware inside. Whereas on a phone they don't offer an option to choose what amount of ram or cpu they want.

exactly. tbh it was exciting to try new kernels and ROMs every now and then :D not after a certain point in life. Also iOS then was seriously restrictive, you couldn't do anything on it, even download a document and save from the web. No netflix, prime, no spotify, no proper video player nothing. there's no way a normal young guy could simply live on an ios device then. android was much much superior in every way (except security perhaps?) then.

Firstly, please don't start getting personal otherwise there won't be any difference between you and a fanboy and an Apple hater like the other guy. If you can't discuss without getting emotional or personal, then please don't quote my posts.

Secondly, go and read again what I have said. I have clearly said that only people on the fence would be swayed by the specs and not someone who is already used to the ecosystem.
Also, on one hand you want me to be a nerd who cares about the benchmark scores of the CPU, but then not care about other specs of the phone like RAM, battery and camera. I believe both of these statements are contradictory to each other, because as a nerd I would be excited to know as much details about the hardware as I can.

Lastly, every single person out there has different needs and different justifications of what is a good user experience. For example, due to my high usage, any normal phone with average battery life won't suffice. So, having a small battery would deteriorate my experience. So maybe for you, only Samsung provided a good experience, but it could be completely different for someone like me. Thankfully, we both have different choices available according to our requirements. Maybe you have such usage which requires a great CPU like the A14, but for me even a mid-tier SD720g was enough, but what I need is a great battery backup and expandable memory which is why I was very happy with my RN9 Pro Max before I upgraded to the LG G8X for it's DAC and the novelty of a dual-screen.

Last edited:
Firstly, please don't start getting personal otherwise there won't be any difference between you and a fanboy and an Apple hater like the other guy. If you can't discuss without getting emotional or personal, then please don't quote my posts.

Secondly, go and read again what I have said. I have clearly said that only people on the fence would be swayed by the specs and not someone who is already used to the ecosystem.
Also, on one hand you want me to be a nerd who cares about the benchmark scores of the CPU, but then not care about other specs of the phone like RAM, battery and camera. I believe both of these statements are contradictory to each other, because as a nerd I would be excited to know as much details about the hardware as I can.

Lastly, every single person out there has different needs and different justifications of what is a good user experience. For example, due to my high usage, any normal phone with average battery life won't suffice. So, having a small battery would deteriorate my experience. So maybe for you, only Samsung provided a good experience, but it could be completely different for someone like me. Thankfully, we both have different choices available according to our requirements. Maybe you have such usage which requires a great CPU like the A14, but for me even a mid-tier SD720g was enough, but what I need is a great battery backup and expandable memory which is why I was very happy with my RN9 Pro Max before I upgraded to the LG G8X for it's DAC and the novelty of a dual-screen.
I agree on the first part. my bad.

brother, how except the amount of ram is an iphone's hardware inferior? Are you aware of how bad Android cameras are? They might be similar in many conditions but none of them are consistent at all. Video recording and sharing through whatsapp/instagram is another major issue with these android phones. The difference in quality is night and day. Use both android flagships and new iphones and see for yourself. Samsung has improved a LOT with the s20 series but still quite far away from what apple achieves.

Also speaking of battery, are you aware 11 pro max had one of the best (maybe the best) batteries among flagships? Well, keep optimization aside, it had the same 4k mAh battery as that of Oneplus 7 pro which was the Android flagship of the year for many people. I owned one too. Guess what, the iPhone lasts at least 50-60% more and does not drain battery on standby. Androids are horrible with battery.

And yeah very true. I can never stand a slow phone. It is adjustable, but not something I'd choose. I don't have any special use case for my phone, although I need everything to be done quickly and I don't have the time and energy to deal with android bugs and errors anymore. I've tried a realme 7 and it was an instant turn off due to the laggy (lots of stutters) experience. 90hz is just a marketing tool on such phones. Also agree with your part different people require different set ups. But those are really niche market and cannot be generalised. For you, there may not be a better phone than the G8X, but for the vast majority it's not. Most people I feel would not want to deal with additional mess (that android creates).

One recent example I can quote is, one of my older relatives called me recently asking if something is wrong with his phone. He said while calling on whatsapp and if he does something on the phone, after 5 min the receiver cannot hear. It completely cuts off. But the call remains and the phone shows no error. I had to google a bit to know what it was and turns out it was some stupid battery optimization. Mind you he wasn't that of a tech noob and he couldn't find the answer on google. The phone is 7T pro. And he says this is one of the many bugs he faces. He went from an iPhone to oneplus and regrets everyday now.

brother, how except the amount of ram is an iphone's hardware inferior? Are you aware of how bad Android cameras are? They might be similar in many conditions but none of them are consistent at all. Video recording and sharing through whatsapp/instagram is another major issue with these android phones. The difference in quality is night and day. Use both android flagships and new iphones and see for yourself. Samsung has improved a LOT with the s20 series but still quite far away from what apple achieves.

Also speaking of battery, are you aware 11 pro max had one of the best (maybe the best) batteries among flagships? Well, keep optimization aside, it had the same 4k mAh battery as that of Oneplus 7 pro which was the Android flagship of the year for many people. I owned one too. Guess what, the iPhone lasts at least 50-60% more and does not drain battery on standby. Androids are horrible with battery.

And yeah very true. I can never stand a slow phone. It is adjustable, but not something I'd choose. I don't have any special use case for my phone, although I need everything to be done quickly and I don't have the time and energy to deal with android bugs and errors anymore. I've tried a realme 7 and it was an instant turn off due to the laggy (lots of stutters) experience. 90hz is just a marketing tool on such phones. Also agree with your part different people require different set ups. But those are really niche market and cannot be generalised. For you, there may not be a better phone than the G8X, but for the vast majority it's not. Most people I feel would not want to deal with additional mess (that android creates).

One recent example I can quote is, one of my older relatives called me recently asking if something is wrong with his phone. He said while calling on whatsapp and if he does something on the phone, after 5 min the receiver cannot hear. It completely cuts off. But the call remains and the phone shows no error. I had to google a bit to know what it was and turns out it was some stupid battery optimization. Mind you he wasn't that of a tech noob and he couldn't find the answer on google. The phone is 7T pro. And he says this is one of the many bugs he faces. He went from an iPhone to oneplus and regrets everyday now.
I agree on a lot of the points you made. Looks like there are many things even I didn't consider because I find dealing with such issues easy, but now that you mention it, I have seen people in the G8X Telegram group struggle with some things which I found very easy to deal with. I can see now, how having to deal with so many settings, can be an issue for a lot of people. Even when I had recently moved to the RN9 Pro Max from my 2 year old Huawei phone, I found a lot of new settings, especially battery optimizations and notifications settings very cumbersome to deal with, but I soon became accustomed to them. I had last used iOS, a long time back. Maybe I need to revisit it to see if it has lost the restrictions that I found troublesome and impossible to live with earlier. Unfortunately, I have lost most interest in phones(despite my long but very basic usage) and so I don't like to invest a lot of money in phones these days, so a revisit to iOs will be difficult to happen considering Apple prices.

I agree on a lot of the points you made. Looks like there are many things even I didn't consider because I find dealing with such issues easy, but now that you mention it, I have seen people in the G8X Telegram group struggle with some things which I found very easy to deal with. I can see now, how having to deal with so many settings, can be an issue for a lot of people. Even when I had recently moved to the RN9 Pro Max from my 2 year old Huawei phone, I found a lot of new settings, especially battery optimizations and notifications settings very cumbersome to deal with, but I soon became accustomed to them. I had last used iOS, a long time back. Maybe I need to revisit it to see if it has lost the restrictions that I found troublesome and impossible to live with earlier. Unfortunately, I have lost most interest in phones(despite my long but very basic usage) and so I don't like to invest a lot of money in phones these days, so a revisit to iOs will be difficult to happen considering Apple prices.
definitely not worth shifting to apple if the improvement is not going to benefit you, especially at indian prices. imo they are grossly overpriced here. pretty good at dubai/us prices. also yeah, a few years back ios was horribly restrictive and now it’s a lot better. however it still lacks good file management system. unless one is in the ecosystem it can be a major con to many people.

Apple makes good hardware/software no doubt about that but it is too much to be spent on their stuff when there are cheaper things that will do almost the same thing.
I would spend 50/80/k on something that can help me become a better/healthier person/makes me happy/let me travel somewhere good/gives me some sort of returns for my investment but an iPhone does nothing of that sort. That is why the only "i"Tech I've ever bought is 2/3 Shuffles because of the PMP being ultra light.
PS: If I get rich I might get one just to catch some gold diggers. Regardless of whatever they are I don't care if they exist.
@rdst_1

Like the diwali sale, If the iPhone SE drops to 25K range you could try it out. Even if you sell in 2 months you will fetch great value.
Nice point but then a happy android user might be lured into their superior ecosystem and might never like an android lol.

Last edited:

I think it would be more appropriate to compare a stock Android(google) versus a stock iOS to get a better picture. Manufacturers other than Google tend to add too many features (eg battery optimisation) which helps them achieve what they advertise but not showing what true android is capable off. @alekhkhanna can you share your experience on this in a bit detail since you have P4a?
@Muathaz I think your poor experience with 90hz could be due to poor hardware or software or both which again shows how both of them are necessary to give the best experience. I use 90hz on Poco X3 and it is smooth as silk maybe due to both good hardware and software optimisation from Xiaomi. As companies try to bring high end features to mid range ones, there seems to be some gap between hardware and software.
While I do agree on most points on iOS being a better version than Android.. I still think there is a scope to borrow some features from Android. Maybe allow users to customise their look(icon packs, themes, fonts).
I wonder Google wants to come up with Fuchsia or whatever icrecream name OS to deal with the lacunae in Android.

I think it would be more appropriate to compare a stock Android(google) versus a stock iOS to get a better picture. Manufacturers other than Google tend to add too many features (eg battery optimisation) which helps them achieve what they advertise but not showing what true android is capable off. @alekhkhanna can you share your experience on this in a bit detail since you have P4a?
@Muathaz I think your poor experience with 90hz could be due to poor hardware or software or both which again shows how both of them are necessary to give the best experience. I use 90hz on Poco X3 and it is smooth as silk maybe due to both good hardware and software optimisation from Xiaomi. As companies try to bring high end features to mid range ones, there seems to be some gap between hardware and software.
While I do agree on most points on iOS being a better version than Android.. I still think there is a scope to borrow some features from Android. Maybe allow users to customise their look(icon packs, themes, fonts).
I wonder Google wants to come up with Fuchsia or whatever icrecream name OS to deal with the lacunae in Android.

I had a stock android phone from a time when stock android was treated like some different version of android. Nexus 6P in 2016. it had raving reviews from everywhere but I had an opposite experience. It was fine for a year but after than it started becoming slow as hell and i think after a couple of years later it got unusable. a 6s plus bought around 6 months earlier than that phone is still being used as a primary phone now without any problems whatsoever.

Also it was when I went back to Samsung I realised stock android is really barebones and it lacked many little useful features. Stock android is overhyped to oblivion and thankfully people are aware of that now since a while. It's only now a lot of features and utilities are present on stock which Samsung introduced WAY before.
I'm not aware of the current scene but at least a couple of years back stock android everytime has numerous bugs and issues. Not to mention hardware defects of low quality hardware provided by google. You should google about pixel issues (I don't follow much tech anymore though, so unware of present situation)

Not to mention, most apps on iPhone are more polished and refined than it is on android.

90hz on my 7 pro was an absolute delight, although my brother has started complaining it's getting slower everyday since a couple months. I'm guessing a reset would fix it. imo higher refresh rates should be limited to higher end phones with better proccies. lower end and mid range phone should focus on improving their camera software.

Toxic spec syndrome​

Spec sheets are… borderline toxic in tech these days. They're quantitative, not qualitative, and often presented without a lick of context or qualification as to what they mean or how they affect the user experience.

And, because some people, in some markets, insist on buying almost entirely based on the specs on the box. Some companies just go to ridiculous levels goosing those specs. It's why we see quad camera systems where, like, three and a half of the cameras are junky 2-megapixel macros. Just so they can have that number on the box.

Apple has always insisted on… spec fighting different. And I'm not here to make excuses for it, to justify it. Just to explain it. You can agree with it or disagree, and on a case by case basis. You can love it or hate it. But If you hate it, I just want you to hate smart.
I agree 100% here, people judge their experience with numbers. Like 2GB RAM on iOS will give worse experience then an equivalent 4GB RAM on Android. So obviously people will buy a better spec phone just to get instant gratification of getting more with the same price. Google with their Pixel line is following the same moto of don't follow the spec sheet but their optimisation can't be matched with the levels of iOS due to hardware and software limitations.

No RAM for you​

So, let's start with the memory, the RAM. iPhones just don't need as much RAM as Android phones. That's the simple truth.

First, Apple makes iOS and iPhones, the whole widget, the whole stake, from silicon to icons, from atoms to pixels. So, they can optimize iOS specifically for the iPhone. Google makes Android, but a wide variety of different companies slap it on a wider variety of even more different Android phones. That means you get just a ton of options to choose from, but it also means you get a lot less optimization for each and every one of those options.

Second, for similar reasons, iOS is a native platform, and iOS Apps are native apps written in native languages, Objective C and Swift. Android is an interpreted platform, and Android apps run through virtual machines. Originally, Dalvik, now the Android Runtime, and are written in interpreted languages, Java or Kotlin. Again, more flexibility, less optimization. And that goes deeper as well, down to how iOS uses automatic reference counting and Android uses Garbage Collection, and there are pros and cons to both approaches, but Apple's is just lighter on RAM.
I realised it after using iOS for a month, wondering why apps are so smooth here. This native vs interpreted difference, apps puts less baggage on hardware due to being run natively. Android has a tendency of getting slower with time, iOS on other hand not so much. Maybe the frequent updates Apple drops tend to do some kind of optimisation.

Yup, I am aware of issues faced by Pixels like battery swelling to reduced performance after 2-3 years. It would seem that for Google, phones are not that much a priority as they make good revenue from ads. So perhaps they do some cost cutting so that it fits in the budget.
Apple has a major revenue from their phones so they need to be at the top to ensure people keep purchasing their products.
Again there is a vast difference in Android from Google and those Android One. My experience with Nokia 7plus was poor, mostly due to lack of updates from Nokia ruining stock experience and pushing me towards customised OS. Stock android has changed from 6P era. So I still think android from Google gives an overall performance like a decent camera, updates.
At the EoD, I would want both platforms to learn from each other and incorporate features which are beneficial to end users..

I think it still all depends on one's usage. For example, I used to change Android phones every few months because a) I was in the business and b) because every new phone bought something different to the table. But when I was finally bored of this constant changing, I was easily able to survive, even on low budget Android phones, like One Plus One, then RN3 for at least 2 years. Both these phones then went on to be used by family members and both are still in use, although not as primary devices. I then shifted to Huawei Honor View 10, which I used for 2 and a half years and only reason to change was because of it's battery. It's still being used as primary phone by Mom who has less usage than me. Somehow, Huawei provided the best experience with flawless updates for more than 2 years and no issues with phone getting slow. Picked up a RN9 Pro for battery and again, experience was very good on a debloated MIUI, but shifted to G8X for the novelty of the dual screen. This phone can easily last me 3-4 years as well.
So cost of all these phones will still be less than an iPhone Pro Max of any generation and even that phone won't last more than 2-3 years with me due to battery giving up, instead of the phone.
I had been contemplating picking up a MBAir for some time now, but I am a very stubborn Windows 7 user. Also, it doesn't help that I won't be able to upgrade anything on the new ones, which is a big big no for me. The best thing to happen though is, that maybe, finally, it will push Windows and Intel/AMD/Qualcomm to look seriously into ARM territory for PCs as well. Frankly speaking, for me, the advantage of extra battery life that ARM offers, means nothing as my laptop is always used with a charger, even when I had a MBAir in 2013.

I am VERY happy with the Pixel experience. All the features I need are present, and all the gimmicky stuff present in Samsung or Xiaomi (which you might not use after initial euphoria) are not. Like an iDevice, it just works.

P2XL was possibly the best phone I used. After 3 years, it worked decently well, with last update in Dec 2020. The screen cracked 3-4 months ago, and replacement was costing around 18k (officially). My phone did go for repairs twice (both due to my mistake), and I have nothing but good things to say about B2X and Google's service.

Considering P4a is around 31k, and comes with additional 2 GB of RAM (total 6 vs 4 on P2XL), and a promise of 3 years of further updates, I jumped ship. The only other phone I would have gone for is iP12/Pro (better yet, Pixel 5 but not launched in India). Android phones are RAM hogs, and the more the better (generally). Having said that, Google has done an amazing job of optimizing the OS for Pixels. Squeezing 6-7 hours of SoT from a 3080mAh battery, easily a day long phone, super quick to work (no lag), the gorgeous camera - with a 4 year old hardware which can go head to head with many flagships, the quite epic battery saver mode (I use this often when I am not connected to wifi or stepping out of the house - even with GPS on, the battery drain is remarkably slow), smart replies and overview actions (which are context sensitive), the new Google Assistant, live captions for any audio, portrait lightning (and other shebang) with the new Photos app etc - I just love it. Period. Wouldn't trade it for any other line of phones, and I hope Google keeps the "A" line going with cheap price - people like me will have no qualms upgrading every 2-3 years.
Heck, just the Google fabric cases are :hearteyes:. I have had SO many people asking me where they can get such a case. :D

IMO, most other manufacturers try to pack so many gimmicky stuff that they lose idea of what matters - smooth operation for at least 3-4 years. The 108 MP camera, the 10000 options for customization, Pro mode in camera with 4 lenses which can't capture decent light, poor tuning, "app cleaners", "system optimizers" etc. Not to forget, for the likes of Xiaomi, Realme etc, they want you to upgrade every year, with FOMO on "new stuff", most of which are half baked. My other favorite phone is Mi3 - got it in the initial flash sale so many years ago on Flipkart! It's frustrating to see what Mi line could have been vs what it is now.

Apple always gets first dibs with TSMC after the investment they made in helping them set up the new plant. AMD should be able to move to TSMC's 5 nm node in 2021. Exynos and Snapdragon will get to use Samsung's 5 nm node. Meanwhile, Nvidia has to make do with Samsung's 8 nm node for now and it would be a miracle if Intel manages to get high yield on its 10 nm node next year.

I don't know how Apple does it but I like the app optimization. My mom had the 4S and now 5S and barring the physical issues it's still fluid, granted she's a casual user. I also like the fact that Apple has started using Nvme storage drives (like iPhone 12). I also agree with what @raksrules said about just wanting a phone which still works even after years of usage.
What I mainly hate are the battery size and "counter-productive features" like the removal of the earphone jack. The latter was plain dumb imo.

And the worst... It becomes a trend for others to follow.. Like 1+removing HP jack, Xiaomi removing power adapter. It's like they are waiting for a green signal from apple.
And funnily... They will troll apple for such practices which they would also be doing in near future.

Maybe because Apple doesn't want customers to use them as a comparison factor in purchasing their products. TDP was used as a factor for comparing x86 laptop processors, but then M1 comes along with far lower TDPs performing better than equivalent Intel's and AMDs.

well maybe there’s just no point. lol what is this?

Well maybe they don't because then they will have to do it for all their phones. If they do that then they will have to reveal how things are so bad in apple phones at the "lower" price point ..

Look at this battery life... Lol what is this?

At the end of the day, playing YouTube videos, the iPhone SE lasted only 4 hours and 45 minutes, the worst score of any phone in the past couple of years.

This is a huge disappointment for Apple's $400 munchkin: watching videos is something that so many people love to do on a daily basis, and unfortunately, the iPhone SE battery just is not able to keep up.

Code:
In our experience, just using the phone moderately throughout the day to just check emails, social media, text and the like, it will get you through. But start watching videos or playing games, and its battery drains like crazy and you will be rushing to the nearest power outlet. It seems that all of the power of the Apple A13 chip is great and all, but once those big cores start running, the battery starts disappearing

When the phone was launched I'm sure loyalists would have come up with below lines to defend the se:
why should we care about the battery capacity? Normal users don't watch videos.. These tests are rigged...apple does magic with battery so the mah doesn't matter .. Se is the best budget phone

Last edited:
Back