Graphic Cards Why are the cards overheating?

rainisland

Disciple
I had Palit 9600 GSO 798mb card and gave it the company service center as it was overheating. (I had tried applying thermal paste and cleaning of the fan.) Now I have got a replacement for the card -- Palit 9800 gt 1GB(with some extra payment), and this absolutely new card also has been showing the same problem --- overheating. By overheating mean the temp around 97. What can be the reason --mob, psu or what ? I am simply confused.

since when did you notice your card overheats, does it overheat when playing or otherwise? And even tell us about airflow , cabinet etc as madnav mentioned. most probably the card may even overheat if stock paste is too old, sometimes even if not applied properly...

OK what PSU do you have , a dying or underpower psu can cause gpu overheating .

Also have you connected the 6 pin power connecter ?

Thanks for your comments, freinds. First off, the thermal paste is new and is applied thin using a credit card --- thinly spread it. Second, I keep my cabinet half open. And there are two small fans at the back of the cabinet. Third, my psu in a new vip 400w. Fourth, the temp of the cared is pretty high even it's idle. and gets far hotter if I play a game. My cpu is 3.2 ghz pentium 4. The mob is gigabyte G-31.

Please guide me what I should do to control the card temperature. The card palit 9800gt 1GB. It's just a week old.

Your power supply is not a good one recommended for a 9800GT - not at least that VIP make! That said, the power supply isn't the issue for the card overheating, at least to me. A bad power supply should show different symptoms - frequent shut downs, BSODs etc.

The way the thermal paste was spread wasn't the best way either - there maybe pockets of air trapped between the GPU IHS and the base of the heatsink which hinders heat transfer from the former to the latter. Remove the heatsink and drop a rice grain worth quantity of thermal paste on the center of the IHS and let the heatsink abse help spread it evenly. What thermal paste did you apply anyway?

Lastly, what enclosure do you use? There should be sufficient airflow in the enclosure to ensure the heat is constantly removed and fresh air is circulated at all times. Since you have mentioned you kept the cabinet half open, this could be ruled out.

Back