Why do some iPhone users forcefully also carry an Android phone?

Let's not move away further from the truth. You'd expect a company that advertises security and privacy of their users for a most part of the last 10 years, would also value the effort and time of white-hat ethical hackers and security researchers. Instead, that is not quite the case.

Apple paid the least amount of bug bounty program among the Big 3 (Microsoft and Google) . And not only that, independent security researchers found it more frustrating to work with Apple, sometimes not even crediting or paying them for discovering the vulnerability.

Data from 2019 to 2022 shows that Apple lags behind Microsoft and Google in terms of bug bounty payouts, amounting to $20 million. During the same time, Microsoft paid close to $40 million and Google over $30 million.

Now, you may argue that since Apple’s products/services are more secure, the bounty paid will also be less due to less discovery of bugs. However, that's not the case because clearly Apple has a bad reputation in the independent security research field.

All of these above-mentioned data points to one thing: actions speak louder than words. Apple's privacy and security ad campaigns are more to benefit them and showing who is the boss, rather than benefiting the user. It would be better if Apple can put their mouth where their food is and start respecting the hacker and security community like Microsoft or Google, both of which ironically does not advertises security and privacy for their products.
Your entire post is about information security researchers and bug bounty programs which is a different discussion. All platforms have 0-day vulnerabilities that are exploited, mainly by state actors. Apple is the least transparent. People seem to go senselessly crazy with their marketing BS as if it triggers some primal instinct.

Here we are talking about every app on Android being provided an open field to indulge in whatever data malpractices they wish to partake in. The aforementioned 0-day vulnerabilities, irrespective of credit, are always patched on iOS, even on 6-7 year old devices. If someone is concerned about security and privacy, then they would be most concerned about Android, followed by Windows and then iOS.

Last edited:
Your entire post is about information security researchers and bug bounty programs which is a different discussion. All platforms have 0-day vulnerabilities that are exploited, mainly by state actors. Apple is the least transparent. People seem to go senselessly crazy with their marketing BS as if it triggers some primal instinct.

Here we are talking about every app on Android being provided an open field to indulge in whatever data malpractices they wish to partake in. The aforementioned 0-day vulnerabilities, irrespective of credit, are always patched on iOS, even on 6-7 year old devices. If someone is concerned about security and privacy, then they would be most concerned about Android, followed by Windows and then iOS.
This thread is devolving in the same direction as all such threads do :)
In a way, the title of the thread itself seems to be a loaded one :tongueout:

If you look at the general feedback here, the clear theme from most actual (and long term) users of both platforms is fairly unequivocal - i.e. iOS for security/privacy (work/banking etc) and Android for flexibility/ non standard usage scenarios (torrents/ ahem stuff/ similar).
If i were the OP, i would take that feedback instead of theoretical constructs from a iOS or Android only user

This thread is devolving in the same direction as all such threads do :)
In a way, the title of the thread itself seems to be a loaded one :tongueout:

If you look at the general feedback here, the clear theme from most actual (and long term) users of both platforms is fairly unequivocal - i.e. iOS for security/privacy (work/banking etc) and Android for flexibility/ non standard usage scenarios (torrents/ ahem stuff/ similar).
If i were the OP, i would take that feedback instead of theoretical constructs from a iOS or Android only user
ROFLMAO. It is like Rahul's 2-3 year bhajan of Rafale. There are these bunch of anti-fanboys here who get hyper the moment there is a discussion about iOS and privacy. They try so much to find some vague articles. They act as if they worked in Apple and have seen it all. :joycat:

I also used to belive it until one of the family member got an iPhone 13. One day we were just talking about homestays, and voila the next day their whole fb feed was full of homestay ads. They never even searched for homestays on internet.
Did they opt for 'ask app not to track' for apps like Facebook and Whatsapp on their iPhone? If the ads are coming in Facebook feed, isnt it Facebook that is spying (should not have happened if the tracking was disabled'). I have been very serious about privacy. I use Facebook insta etc from Safari, removed all Meta apps from phone. Reason I am asking is that the tracking transparency feature is costing Facebook billions as they are not able to track user's behavior if the user is on iOS.

Man, I tried my best to explain these things to these guys in the past. They think that Apple's 'all user data stays with me' is so much more evil than Google's "everyone is free to take user data". They hate Apple brand to the core and nothing you say will go into their head.

On the actual topic: This habit of carrying two phones has come down drastically, thanks to every single phone supporting dual SIMs. After I moved to iPhone, I kept Android phone at home. Initially I carried both phones for few days till I moved all apps and accounts to iOS. I do have that phone at home as a backup. In my office, many at certain level (managers and above) used to carry work phone (iPhone) and their personal phone (Android/iPhone). But now, after office enabled BYOD, most switched to using own phone for both office apps and personal use. My mother carries an Andorid phone and a dumb phone. Dumb phone is her backup phone.

Last edited:

My entire post is about information security researchers and bug bounty programs related to Apple was to highlight the single fact - how Apple is seen as a company in the field of independent security.

When you preach user security and privacy on a global scale, and then instead treat the people who spend hours finding vulnerabilities in your devices in return for compensation that they deserve like crap, you are creating a negativity in the market. As a result, when security researchers feel that they are not getting credited for their work, they end up selling these vulnerabilities/exploits in the grey market, which indirectly affects the end user.

Apple is better at marketing, hence people think it has better privacy than Google (don't forget the iCloud leaks). In the future, Apple might even start their own Google adsense like program, who knows.
Yep, everytime someone talks about apple privacy it reminds me of those leaks lol.

Back