Car & Bike Why does a car music system cost so much when its so outdated !!

yes those screens have auto dimming function. meanwhile rear view cameras are overrated anyways :p trust me you even if you have it, you'll tend to reverse and maybe park before that damn thing starts. (there's slight delay when we engage to reverse and actual feed from the camera starts on the display.)
I didn't even connect the cam to my head unit for that reason even though it supports.

Last edited:
I too feel the rear view cam approach is too over rated. One can easily reverse a car with a little patience. Also with people moving behind your car as it happens in India you can't entirely depend on the sensors.

Talking about ice, people don't buy new systems every year like tabs and mobile phones. So you might find models launched as old as 5 years still being available in the market.
Since newer iterations don't create much buzz in ice systems like them mobile phones or tablets, we find systems with average specs in the market.

If you are serious about getting a carpc project there are many alternatives available on the YouTube which might help you in your endeavor.
OEMs though won't be doing it for mass production, so it will be a custom build if you intend to do so.

CarPC will be overkill for basic functions. mostly what we need from head unit are -
- Good Amplifier/DAC
- Support for different Video Audio Formats
- Navigation (Offline / Live)
- Communication (Telephony, Bluetooth Handsfree)
- Large Screen (resoultion won't matter much)
- Steering Mounted Controls

These tasks can easily be taken care of with Android based Head units. which are available for 15-20k.

PS: Some headunits like mine have support for multiple video outs so people at the back seat can enjoy different movies (on a head rest mounted display) while the driver can listen to music on a long drive. this is very useful feature for long drives :D

CarPC will be overkill for basic functions. mostly what we need from head unit are -
- Good Amplifier/DAC
- Support for different Video Audio Formats
- Navigation (Offline / Live)
- Communication (Telephony, Bluetooth Handsfree)
- Large Screen (resoultion won't matter much)
- Steering Mounted Controls

These tasks can easily be taken care of with Android based Head units. which are available for 15-20k.

PS: Some headunits like mine have support for multiple video outs so people at the back seat can enjoy different movies (on a head rest mounted display) while the driver can listen to music on a long drive. this is very useful feature for long drives :D
Which is the model and price?
Other alternatives?

Mine is Pioneer F60BT I got for 46k
Android based alternatives start form 15k and would perform most of the functions.
android ones in market i guess are local chinese stuff. dont want my new car to catch fire or something. i have not seen the brands selling android. btw since u have spend lotta money in ICEyou would know stuff right. where do u live? your system has everything i wish for except the price

I too feel the rear view cam approach is too over rated. One can easily reverse a car with a little patience. Also with people moving behind your car as it happens in India you can't entirely depend on the sensors.

Talking about ice, people don't buy new systems every year like tabs and mobile phones. So you might find models launched as old as 5 years still being available in the market.
Since newer iterations don't create much buzz in ice systems like them mobile phones or tablets, we find systems with average specs in the market.

If you are serious about getting a carpc project there are many alternatives available on the YouTube which might help you in your endeavor.
OEMs though won't be doing it for mass production, so it will be a custom build if you intend to do so.
ya but with a cam we can see who's at back na. in swift i saw its very hard to see whats at back. i read that it takes max 2 seconds after we engage rear gear that cam comes on the music system screen.

here is what i want in my car , can anyone suggest best one .

Rear cam support that starts in 1-2 seconds so i can install cam with those lines and distance thing.
Since all systems have v less format and most of mine are in x264 etc i think feature needed is where system plays same thing thts on mobile phone. mirrolink only is this feature if i read correct.
Audio-in port, bluetooth same function only so not needed as Audio-in is same only.call i can take on phone , hardly ever get calls.
CD/dvd i dont even use .
No need of amplifier compatibility etc as il only put 2 or 4 good speaker

on google this seems best and except mirror link it seems to have all functions and is under 10k , for 2.6 k more i get a sony variant that has bluetoth also.to get mirrorlink or x264 format compatibility i need to spend like 19k on a system which seems too high. https://paytm.com/shop/p/sony-xav-6...-audio-dongle-AUTSONY-XAV-65-AUTO90753488F2EA

any suggestions guys ? please help. also is karol bagh in delhi best to get them ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can buy one today. It's called a Tesla Model S :p

Not relevant to thread but I had been to an Indian Grocery store 2 weeks back here and saw a Tesla Model S parked in the parking lot and the license plate number as "NO GAS".
I did not click a pic (dumb me) but it was funny and "number" was spot on.

here is what i want in my car , can anyone suggest best one .

Rear cam support that starts in 1-2 seconds so i can install cam with those lines and distance thing.
Since all systems have v less format and most of mine are in x264 etc i think feature needed is where system plays same thing thts on mobile phone. mirrolink only is this feature if i read correct.
Audio-in port, bluetooth same function only so not needed as Audio-in is same only.call i can take on phone , hardly ever get calls.
CD/dvd i dont even use .
No need of amplifier compatibility etc as il only put 2 or 4 good speaker

on google this seems best and except mirror link it seems to have all functions and is under 10k , for 2.6 k more i get a sony variant that has bluetoth also.to get mirrorlink or x264 format compatibility i need to spend like 19k on a system which seems too high. https://paytm.com/shop/p/sony-xav-6...-audio-dongle-AUTSONY-XAV-65-AUTO90753488F2EA

any suggestions guys ? please help. also is karol bagh in delhi best to get them ?

The unit seems good, only caveat is that it does not come with navigation features.
be sure to check mirrorlink compatiblity with your phone before buying head unit with mirrorlink.
bluetooth is must have functions these days as it even replaces the need for aux and provides steering controls.

The unit seems good, only caveat is that it does not come with navigation features.
be sure to check mirrorlink compatiblity with your phone before buying head unit with mirrorlink.
bluetooth is must have functions these days as it even replaces the need for aux and provides steering controls.
Okay. I think pioneer also has some good options in similar range. Btw this wont hav mirrorlink. Mirror link is in expensive 18-22k plus range only. My car wont have steering button in my varient so no point getting bluetooth I guess. Navigation il do with phone if needed.

For your requirement carpc is overkill. And I personally suggest don't go for it now. In the last 3-4 years ice scenario has changed a lot.
Since you are not going to get amp that will save good sums. I would suggest get the mirrorlink display. Invest on it since that's the main thing you want.

to answer the question the OP asked
Touch screen HU's are low volume items as compared to a iphone or android.
1. The cost of developing this UI needs to be added to the HU. while the absolute cost of this may be relatively less than what is spent on iOS or android, the cost needs to be realized from far fewer devices, leading to a driving prices of induvidual devices.
2. As volumes of products reduce, dealers & distributors demand higher margins (as the product is harder to move)

together you end up with an unrealistically sticker price

Back