Why I won't buy smart bulbs or smart switches ever...

Wow. When I said an extensive setup, that looks like an understatement now. You basically have your own ecosystem with your own proxmox server running and managing your whole setup. And for the most part you are not relaying on any outside service. It'd take someone weeks to setup things like that today. As you mentioned yourself, an update brought down your systems for a day and half. For me, the damn updates are already breaking regular things like mobiles, computers or TVs. Maybe, yeah, windows, android are less reliable but it's too late to change the ecosystem now.

This happened with my smart bulb too. It was actually concerning as I sometimes use darkness as a cover for privacy.
On a side note , It's never too late to change:D
I have finally given up on windows for good after almost 3 decades of using it

Also, not necessarily relevant to this thread - but that update breaking things aspect is why i shifted this ecosystem as you call it to proxmox.
If at all anything breaks in the future, reverting a VM to the last known good state is just a matter of restoring that snapshot - 5 mins at most.

Extremely useful , not just for home automation but any other services i use that server for

I extensively use the Wiz system as well and didn't find any issues as such. I faced the same situation as you had mentioned, but it turned out to be a configuration on the app.
Thanks for the nice reply.

I have set my app settings as you have mentioned--the issue still persists. It was one of the first settings I did, when I got those bulbs!

I have a single Wipro smart bulb in my bedroom, primarily because the switch was placed too far away to be accessible while in bed. To soften the bulb's naturally harsh light, I use an inexpensive paper lantern around the bulb, which gives it a dreamy soft glow which I like.

It works well with "Ok Google, Switch off the bedroom light". Also I have set it to come on automatically at sunset and switch off automatically at midnight, which is helpful.

This setup works for me and I have no complaints except that the light quality and color rendition of Wipro RGB Smart Bulbs is very poor. Like a "Ok Google, Turn the bedroom light yellow" is liable to turn it to some weird shade that I feel is closer to pink than yellow.

Back