Audio Why is everyone throwing away their wired headphones

Can it be your temporomandibular joint? Since it worsens after chewing. I completely forgot about the nerve supply of that area.
Take care mate.

I had severe TMD issues about 6 years ago but it's been fine for the last few years. There is no associated pain or inflammation. If it flared up now i would notice right? Also it was primarily on the right side (the right joint still clicks when closing the jaw) but the ear trouble is with the left ear.
But yeah this is a possibility. Thanks
Post automatically merged:

I wanted to see how eating/not affects it so i fasted for about a whole day to the point where i had a mild headache from low sugar maybe and by then the tinnitus has reached a deafening level. I've found that having a moderate amount of food with low salt/masala etc. has the best results. I've started trying to eat healthy with more fruit and dry fruits and nuts added.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to finally buy the DT-770's since I don;t find my HD280's that comfortable anymore but thanks to the pandemic those plans are on hold till I start moving out of the house again. I wish there were super deals here for them.

@ Julian, it's possibly not related to TMJ. Regarding salt intake, is it related to hydrops?

No typical hydrops symptoms like dizziness, vertigo or balance issues. It may not be salt directly, just BP variation. Actually the ent had said the tinnitus itself is probably due to the hyperacusis, and once that goes away the T might settle. The H itself, god alone knows the exact reason.

And here I am who recently bought a Sennheiser HD 4.50SE and use it wired because I've now become so terribly used to wired headphones over decades of listening... and also because on wired mode the 4.50 auto-activates the ANC so no need to fiddle around with buttons. Feels weird as f*ck going wireless, LoL!

I'm totally confused. Both you guys are saying your wireless NC headphones are better WIRED ??

You guys make new fangled tech no fun :(

No typical hydrops symptoms like dizziness, vertigo or balance issues. It may not be salt directly, just BP variation. Actually the ent had said the tinnitus itself is probably due to the hyperacusis, and once that goes away the T might settle. The H itself, god alone knows the exact reason.
I know nothing about ENT, but the H is possibly due to dysfunction of stapes. AFAIK , we have a senior ENT surgeon here in this forum ( but can't remember his name).
Yes,all the wireless cans I have sound better wired. The PXC 550 sounds brilliant with USB connection ( it charges at the same time)
Neither Bose, nor Sony has this function.
HD4.5 is a very decent wireless pair for the price. It's not very detailed, but sounds more natural compared to XM3. My wife hates to pay anything for audio and she bought them from some airport ( cheapest NC headphones available there) and they are very decent.

Last edited:
I know nothing about ENT, but the H is possibly due to dysfunction of stapes. AFAIK , we have a senior ENT surgeon here in this forum ( but can't remember his name).

Yes, Medpal, but he's been inactive since 2015. I've been debating whether to ping him or not.

I'm totally confused. Both you guys are saying your wireless NC headphones are better WIRED ??

You guys make new fangled tech no fun :(

I haven't used the wirless (BT) mode even once till now so I can't say if there is a marked or any difference in sound quality between the two modes. Since the time I unboxed the headphones I plugged in the supplied cable and was done!

I haven't used the wirless (BT) mode even once till now so I can't say if there is a marked or any difference in sound quality between the two modes. Since the time I unboxed the headphones I plugged in the supplied cable and was done!

A friend has those and he says it has better SQ than the sony xm3 which he tested for a few days. The sony's features and gestures etc are unbeatable though he says. I don't remember what he said about the qc35 which he also tested, but he ended up buying the 4.50se.

XM3s are like M50X of wireless headphones. Everyone has them, 90 percent love the sound, 9 percent don't like them much and ended up selling them, the rest try their best to like them with eqs, mods etc, eventually give up and start hating them.
Sound preference is personal, but quality sound is not. I personally don't like the the really high quality real flat sounding cans ( have a pair of very expensive closed back monitoring cans which are brilliant for tracking and mixing, but not really enjoyable for listening to music, won't name them, you guys will certainly think I'm crazy)
Unfortunately for me, XM3s failed miserably in both department. Sonically QC35 is rubbish too, but slightly more natural. Bose 700 is terrible!! Stay away from it ( and XM4)!!!

Can someone explain to me how the microphone works when the device end is a regular 3.5mm TRS plug with only 3 contacts. Headphone end is 2.5mm TRRS.

Can someone explain to me how the microphone works when the device end is a regular 3.5mm TRS plug with only 3 contacts. Headphone end is 2.5mm TRRS.

I guess the cable doesn't support the mic. This manual [pdf] says calls are only supported via BT [page 24].

8 BA drivers!! That's pretty insane, even for 300 USD.
I was thinking about selling everything else except Sundara ( open back planer), HD600 ( open back dynamic) one closed back ( possibly NH20) and a single NC ( for air travel) and go for something absolutely crazy like the Odin!
Now this seems a very sensible option ( though no idea how to source them in absence of the beloved AliExpress)
Is Ali still shipping to India?
However I must say this reviewer possibly doesn't understand what dynamics mean. Old rock and metal music ( pre DAW era) do not lack dynamics, firstly in 70s, producers didn't use analog compression on every drum track( like today) and only used it when absolutely necessary ( like Keith Moon's drum takes)
Compressors are the biggest enemy of dynamics ( they are only necessary when the loudest and quietest part of a recorded stem vary wildly in amplitude)
Secondly, the compensation gain knobs in analog compressors don't act linearly unlike the best digital comps of today ( Fabfilter's Pro C2 for example)
So the perceived/ (often)true loudness of the master chain output of older recordings sound quieter compared to modern day's digital recordings.
A highly dynamic mix is always quiet compared to a compressed mix. V or U shaped FR curve can never sound more dynamic ( though it may sound pleasant) We tend to confuse loudness with dynamics.
Many love the sound signature of cans like XM3, because the DSP circuit in it is tuned for a very high compression ( possibly more the 8:1) and aggressive loudness compensation.
These DSP "corrections" in all BTNC cans made them unusable for mixing/ mastering.
Bose also does the same but they use slightly slower compression ( more release time)
Sorry for this long and possibly useless post. Was measuring the BTNC cans for last 3/4 days.

Yes, this is very strange. I just tested with my wife's HD 4.5, even when the headphone is switched off and connected to a laptop with the cable, microphone works. It's possibly the laptop's/ mobile's microphone.

Last edited:
8 BA drivers!! That's pretty insane, even for 300 USD.
I was thinking about selling everything else except Sundara ( open back planer), HD600 ( open back dynamic) one closed back ( possibly NH20) and a single NC ( for air travel) and go for something absolutely crazy like the Odin!
Now this seems a very sensible option ( though no idea how to source them in absence of the beloved AliExpress)
Is Ali still shipping to India?
However I must say this reviewer possibly doesn't understand what dynamics mean. Old rock and metal music ( pre DAW era) do not lack dynamics, firstly in 70s, producers didn't use analog compression on every drum track( like today) and only used it when absolutely necessary ( like Keith Moon's drum takes)
Compressors are the biggest enemy of dynamics ( they are only necessary when the loudest and quietest part of a recorded stem vary wildly in amplitude)
Secondly, the compensation gain knobs in analog compressors don't act linearly unlike the best digital comps of today ( Fabfilter's Pro C2 for example)
So the perceived/ (often)true loudness of the master chain output of older recordings sound quieter compared to modern day's digital recordings.
A highly dynamic mix is always quiet compared to a compressed mix. V or U shaped FR curve can never sound more dynamic ( though it may sound pleasant) We tend to confuse loudness with dynamics.
Many love the sound signature of cans like XM3, because the DSP circuit in it is tuned for a very high compression ( possibly more the 8:1) and aggressive loudness compensation.
These DSP "corrections" in all BTNC cans made them unusable for mixing/ mastering.
Bose also does the same but they use slightly slower compression ( more release time)
Sorry for this long and possibly useless post. Was measuring the BTNC cans for last 3/4 days.
Nope, that was a very informative post!

Yes, this is very strange. I just tested with my wife's HD 4.5, even when the headphone is switched off and connected to a laptop with the cable, microphone works. It's possibly the laptop's/ mobile's microphone.
Can you check again by muting the laptop's mic?

Friend's laptop mic is broken which is why he's using the headphone's mic. It's fine over Bluetooth but his company has blocked the onboard Bluetooth module for security.

Yes, it's still working!! But the sound was very faint but increased slightly when the vol up button is pushed multiple times on the switched off headphone!!
Does the headphone mic work while switched off?? Doesn't work at all with 550 or QC35.

Back