Why MOST Indians are jealous of others?

What is this Nazar, Nazarana? I'm from down south.

Basically the evil eye. It is also of Turkish origination or even Arabic genealogy (see how CryEngine 3 used it). Up here in the North (called Buri Nazar), we put it on anything new, usually a black spot (on children using kohl) or hang lemon+chilies on shop sills, or hang a shoe behind a heavy-good-vehicle. People will wear a black thread on the ankle/wrist/neck to ward off this evil eye. North India has a lot of cross-over cultural nuances due to the NW invasion corridor..!

Jealousy - Is it really a bad thing?

It is just comparison. I think it leads to competition which is good.

In short anything can be good or bad based on approach for example - Comparing myself to someone more successful and saying he/she is there just because of circumstances and ignoring the person's toil is idiotic. This stupid self bias is not limited to just Indians but universal.

In short anything can be good or bad based on approach for example - Comparing myself to someone more successful and saying he/she is there just because of circumstances and ignoring the person's toil is idiotic. This stupid self bias is not limited to just Indians but universal.

101%% correct

It is universal, but in India it is titled towards the higher end of the scale. I'm sure even Obama is jealous of some other person on earth, but that's not the point we're debating. The point is how people react to jealousy.

In India competition mainly means trying to pull down the other person, rather than pull yourself beyond him/her.

Without envy, capitalism cannot exist. So, have your healthy dose of envy.
Jealousy - Is it really a bad thing?It is just comparison. I think it leads to competition which is good.
I think there is a difference between wanting what someone else has and resenting someone else for having it. The first emotion, I think, can be healthy at times while the second is a completely useless and harmful emotion to carry.

What is this Nazar, Nazarana? I'm from down south.

If you speak/understand Telugu, it is called drishti.

I think there is a difference between wanting what someone else has and resenting someone else for having it. The first emotion, I think, can be healthy at times while the second is a completely useless and harmful emotion to carry.

If you speak/understand Telugu, it is called drishti.

Which would just mean: sight / vision...! Nazar can normally be used for the same too...! It is the context, guess same way in Telugu.

The term Evil Eye is used in almost all part of the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_eye
even from historic times. I will not blame Indians alone for it, this is basic human nature.

Leave alone humans, Gorillas and Chimpanzees (even Elephants) are reported to have this behavior.

What is this India/n bashing on TE these days ? Seems some guys started discovering themselves ?

Last edited:
Indians have too much of EGO, they love to SHOW OFF & they want to drive the CAR anyhow they want over looking the traffic rules but they want everyone else to follow lane manners, Inshort Indians hate each other.

I would want to replace the word capitalism with FACIST !!!
I guess all humans, and animals too, have faces. So, that makes everyone a facist.

Now if you're thinking about fascism, that's a different matter altogether. Fascism and capitalism are a rare mix, and every time they're seen together, horrible things happen.

Indians have too much of EGO, they love to SHOW OFF & they want to drive the CAR anyhow they want over looking the traffic rules but they want everyone else to follow lane manners, Inshort Indians hate each other.

This I am sure of. And each time, they will find new reasons for the hate.

Yes, Indians love to hate and hold spite against each other. I have rarely seen an Indian ever care for someone who is not a relative / spouse / or has some monetary benefit pending. We care nothing for each other. A selfish and evil society we live in. One can see it on the streets, in the metros, in the malls, or any public area. Same goes with the exhibition of our honesty. It is void+null. People try to fleece each-other: left, right, and center. There is no difference between the educated and the non-educated here. The former does all of the above with panache and style, while the latter exercises this facility boorishly and crudely.

Last edited:
We Indians are basically 'lazy' people. Everybody wants to take the shortest route 'success' (thats why we have more IIT + IIM grads/aspirants than PhDs).
Everybody wants 'easy money' - by whatever means.

And if someone find even a shorter route, of course we Indian get jealous. :D

Yes, Indians love to hate and hold spite against each other. I have rarely seen an Indian ever care for someone who is not a relative / spouse / or has some monetary benefit pending. We care nothing for each other. A selfish and evil society we live in. One can see it on the streets, in the metros, in the malls, or any public area. Same goes with the exhibition of our honesty. It is void+null. People try to fleece each-other: left, right, and center. There is no difference between the educated and the non-educated here. The former does all of the above with panache and style, while the latter exercises this facility boorishly and crudely.

the attitude is primarily due to ones socio economic conditions present. Indians tend to compare Indian behavior with people from other developed nations. It is being discussed a lot more these days as a jerk reaction due to our increased interactions to other countrymen.

But then our society and its people grew up in a society which gave prime importance to survival mechanisms over socially admirable behavior. Even parents would encourage children to climb over others if necessary (is crab mentality a good thing?) to ensure ones personnel growth. if one were to compare this society with third world countries of similar socio economic conditions, we would be just as human (may be even better off) as any other.

Back