Video Why no HD news channels in India?

The news channels here are so annoying. Specially the horizontal ticker bands that run. They give a head-ache. They are way too over-branded.

Yes this so called ticker bands run subtle Advertisements most of the times.
Or they run some stupid breaking news stories, which don't even find worth of front page in next day newspaper.

Since they don't serve anything other than advertisements ; I actually want all Indian news channels to rename themselves,

Advertisement AAJ TAK
Advertisement 24x7
Advertisement LIVE
Advertisement NOW etc..

Well, its been more than 1.5 yrs since I created this thread and the HD situation is exactly the same; grim. I'm super curious why NDTV/Times Now/CNN IBN cannot broadcast in HD :O Is there any law in India which prevents this?

Well, its been more than 1.5 yrs since I created this thread and the HD situation is exactly the same; grim. I'm super curious why NDTV/Times Now/CNN IBN cannot broadcast in HD :O Is there any law in India which prevents this?

I work in a news channel so I can answer. There are couple of reasons for this.

1. Running a 24 hours news channel in HD is expensive. Every channel needs to have bureaus globally or say entire India with people on ground reporting so resources needed is huge. Indian news channels dont have the resources like your CNN, BBC, AL Jazeera etc.
2. News is all about capturing visuals and showing them to people as a matter of urgency/breaking and scale of event. If HD is involved, it will make it more complicated and time consuming as camera crew and reporters need to send footage to their channels by FTP.
3. Most news channels, atleast international ones get a lot of footage from news wires like Reuters, AFP, AP etc which are pre recorded HD. Their presence in India is poor compared to global. Indian news wires like ANI, IANS are still pre-historic so the channels depend on them for footage which is SD.

As Normal user's POV - I strongly believe the HD situation only improve if there is High Speed Internet available in India for General public (like developed countries) with affordable price which will lead to many people Go for streaming for content based items / VoD and thus increase High Decline Rate Cable / DTH renewal / subscription.

Then only we hope for a change....But High Speed Internet may never going to happen here - Like Other Tele Provider, Even Reliance Jio (who got 5G ready network /bandwidth) now also claim, High Speed 4GB per day is a misuse done by user.

Back