Why should I not buy a HTC One S?

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
One possible reason.. it is not available on most websites and almost costs 25K on the ones it is available on.

As for my hunt for the next phone. My Samsung Focus is almost as good as dead as it has stopped charging. I may or may not get it repaired, it may or may not get repaired. :p

Up until last week I was so certain that I will be moving on to a Windows Phone 8 device, most likely Nokia 820. The premature death of the current phone forced me to scramble but it is too soon as the WP8 devices are not available yet. What a disappointment it was as I was certain that WP8 was the OS to get since I already love my current phone. That was until I saw how far Android has come since I used my Froyo device.

Google Now, Project Butter, usability improvements etc make it a much better choice I believe. Not to mention that the app store has always been stellar compared to WP. I will finally be able to use a real Google Maps app. :yahoo: But for all that I must get a phone which is most likely to get updated to 4.2

Now some of you might say that I should get the Google Nexus 4. However I think it will be too costly when it launches here and it has too large a screen for my liking. I don't want to hold a brick to my ear and certainly not one on which I cannot reach the far end of the screen when using in one hand. Don't like the size of GS3 at all. Moreover if I were into that budget then One X would have been a decent contender too. The HTC One S seems like the balanced phone to get. Not too costly, decently powered, fairly sized and looks stunning too.

So is there any reason I should not buy the One S? If no, then what else and why?

PS: For all you know I might end up living on with my Nokia E51 till the time Key Lime Pie is launched. I am generally that confused. :23:

Was at the airport today and stepped into a Croma store. Held a One X in my hand and was sold instantly even before I could power it on. Apparently the large screen is not that much of a drawback for this handset. Have not bought it yet but would most likely be buying it online from Infibeam on EMI. :p

Good choice. You won't regret it.

I use a One V and the build is absolutely great. Can surely bet the One S & X will be better in terms of build. But then HTC, if I remember correctly, have reneged previosly on their promises to update their phones.

Has the battery issue solved for One X? People had been complaining over at XDA that international One X's battery barely lasts 7-8 hrs. That is where the dual core Krait in the international One S scores, but then again you cannot buy a sub 720p resolution phone in this day.

Frankly speaking apart from looks, HTC has nothing going for it right now. Why arent you considering Samsung Galaxy S3?

Frankly speaking apart from looks, HTC has nothing going for it right now. Why arent you considering Samsung Galaxy S3?
Yes I have read about the sad battery life. Apparently that 7-8 hours is on continuous usage and it has improved a bit after some patch that released by HTC. Now with OneX+ released with 2100 mah there is a possibility to replace the HOX battery later with a higher capacity one. Apart from this handsets battery life what else would you say is not going right with the HTC phones?

As for the S3, I think this is the worst looking phone around that 30K bracket. Even the Xperia S and iPhone look much better.

Now with OneX+ released with 2100 mah there is a possibility to replace the HOX battery later with a higher capacity one. Apart from this handsets battery life what else would you say is not going right with the HTC phones?
Hmm I thought the battery was not replaceable. Apart from that no micro SD card slot, a relatively slower SOC. In addition the phone has a Tegra GPU, I dont know about now but earlier Nvidia never released an open source drivers, hence custom ROM's would not have hardware acceleration etc.

Apart from looks the S3 scores in all the departments, and is similarly priced. But if looks are important, then the One X makes sense, but do find out about the battery life post the patch.

I do have a one X and it does last me an entire day with moderately heavy usage. 3 hours of phone calls, 1 hour of gaming, 6 hours of music and some occasional browsing and texting. Yesterday it was updated to Jelley Bean and its benchmark scores have just sky rocketed!

From what I remember, Quadrant scored: 6986
and battery life has seen approximately 10-15% improvement.

Hmm I thought the battery was not replaceable. Apart from that no micro SD card slot, a relatively slower SOC. In addition the phone has a Tegra GPU, I dont know about now but earlier Nvidia never released an open source drivers, hence custom ROM's would not have hardware acceleration etc.
Nexus 7 also has tegra3. the devs were able to simply port the SoC drivers and as a result it had working CM10 with hardware acceleration months before the Galaxy Note.

One X Is great. Now that we have a 16GB version in India, it costs 30K.
But, I Would wait for One X+,it is worth it, especially for the Battery upgrade!
Dunno how the Dev will be, but as you are not keen on Custom ROMs, you can go for it!

Why not get the Prime ? It already has received the 4.2 update - gmano has it and I used it earlier today. Exceptionally smooth with 4.2. Agreed there is no warranty but for about 18k new and I do see one for 16.5k in the TE Market, you cannot go wrong with it!

By Prime do you mean Galaxy Nexus? Where's it available for 18k new?? I'll pounce if I get that price anywhere.

Just an update. Did not buy the One X as my Samsung Focus got fixed at a local mobile shop. Will live with it for a few months at least. Will get an HTC One X for sure unless something better comes out by then. :p

Back