Why TVs are so expensive in India?

Govt is getting its taxes directly or indirectly. But we don't get the same work in return because of corruption. So really tax isn't being evaded but
it keeps increasing because corruption and people who have a share of it keeps growing.
It’s not directly or indirectly. It’s both. Income as well as expense is taxed. Income Tax on salary is directly collected and GST/customs on groceries, electronics, automobiles, etc that is purchased out of that salary.

Govt is getting its taxes directly or indirectly. But we don't get the same work in return because of corruption. So really tax isn't being evaded but
it keeps increasing because corruption and people who have a share of it keeps growing.
That was my entire point. Due to tax evasion, the direct taxation is extremely less, especially for the non-salaried class which results in higher indirect taxation in the form of GST, cess and duties. The two are not mutually exclusive. If there was greater compliance in direct taxation, it would have provided much more freedom in determining indirect taxation. Corruption exists in government but its presence in tax evaders makes it much worse.

But its govt's duty to enforce it and not let it happen because it itself is corrupt and allows it. It gives them a great excuse to say 95-98% people don't pay taxes so we can't do anything all the while they are getting the same in indirect taxes. If public was so well behaved we wouldnt need police, tax depts, etc. Stuff like tax evasion happens in US, UK etc but not at a level like here because rules are not enforced or followed by corrupt govt itself.

That was my entire point. Due to tax evasion, the direct taxation is extremely less, especially for the non-salaried class which results in higher indirect taxation in the form of GST, cess and duties. The two are not mutually exclusive. If there was greater compliance in direct taxation, it would have provided much more freedom in determining indirect taxation. Corruption exists in government but its presence in tax evaders makes it much worse.
Corruption in government is what actually makes it worse and not the other way around. A few years ago, a local IAS in the NE, with the help of village and town people, built a 100km road for 1cr. That's just 1L/km Yes, the labor was provided for free by the people but it still gives you an idea of how inefficient and corrupt our regular systems are.
During CoViD, Chandigarh administration bought IR thermometers for 8k each while same models were available between 800-1200 in the market. Himachal govt even got caught buying ventilators for 10L while another state bought exact same models for 3L.
Evasion of direct taxes can be and is being made up for by increasing indirect taxes but the amount we waste due to corruption in politics and bureaucracy is the much bigger from what I have seen and experienced.

...built a 100km road for 1cr. That's just 1L/km Yes, the labor was provided for free by the people...
That is just insane! I've heard figures like 40 lakhs per km. How much would the labour cost? And was this the complete shebang like 4-5 layers deep or just a top surface on a kaccha road which would be much cheaper?

That is just insane! I've heard figures like 40 lakhs per km. How much would the labour cost? And was this the complete shebang like 4-5 layers deep or just a top surface on a kaccha road which would be much cheaper?
It has been decade I have seen those multiple layering on a tar road. It was a usual sight when I was a kid. Then the work even for a 500mtr road used to take 2 days where they carefully applied layers on layers thoroughly making it rock solid for seasons to come.. one can actually feel the road uplifted/heightened but now all this seems pure history.

These days they want to achieve just for showing off to media and govt. have completed 100kms of road repair in a record 10 days and crap. Contractors also are so msart to loot govt. the goivt. doesnt care as well...everyone gets to eat so who cares for the public? The govt. people have swanky suv vehicles again bought from these shobby contractors commissions etc. so be it any roads they are not affected.

I have seen myself that for even a single layer the work done is just so so and its up to their minds if they go for that 2nd layer or not... anything beyond seems to only happens on major highways.

Of course it wasn't a 4-5 layer new road but the thing is about the gross inefficiency and corruption of the prevalent system in which the work can actually be done at 25-30% of the costs we pay.
There was this another article about a DC from MP who saved 90% of the commissioned funds by removing middlemen and getting all work done under his direct supervision. He also got the work finished in 10 months whereas the project work had been languishing for 3 years due to the middlemen who used to do little to no work and keep asking for increasing funding.

In essence, we pay anywhere between 3-10 times the actual cost of any govt project due to corruption.

Back