Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration error

Hi,

I am using HP ab522tx laptop. Windows 10 auto downloaded some updates like 10-15 days back. It always used to give me a reminder to install the same but I used to just put the laptop on sleep mode after using it. Today suddenly it hanged up on me for the first time. I long pressed the power key to turn it off and then switched it on. The option to install the updates was there when it turned on. I selected install and restart and then it restarted without even showing that they same were installed. Anyways the updates to be installed notification was gone from the start button after it restarted. Now the version of the Windows which is installed is Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1023) I don't know which was the build which was previously installed so I can't say whether this update was correctly installed or not.

Now everything works fine but to every wifi that I connect to, shows the no internet error Did some basic troubleshooting and it lead me to this error Wi-Fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Googled, found many articles and websites. Followed steps mentioned in this one https://windowsreport.com/wi-fi-valid-ip-configuration-windows-10/

1. Uninstalled driver, restarted and it was auto installed again. Same issue

2. Reset TCP/IP. Done. Same issue. It shows this

3. Change the wireless SSID and password
Not done but tried connecting the laptop to other wi-fi connections. Same result.

4. Set the channel width to Auto
Done. Same result.

5. Set your IP address manually
Didn't do. As I don't know what values to fill in. Please help.

6. Remove your antivirus software
Using Windows Defender only. It is not messing up with the wifi. Disabled just to check but same result.

7-10. Didn't follow those points as I somehow feel that the issue is not with those.

What should I do?

Thanks

Last edited:
When I open up the update section, it shows up this

I was thinking that the last update was not installed properly so wanted to uninstall it but the last update is of June.

Edit-
Please check all photos, I think the problem is somewhere in them. I am just not able to find it.

Connected a wifi adapter to the laptop https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WN...ds=tp+link+wifi+adapter&qid=1626514066&sr=8-2 but same result
Adapter list minus the wifi adapter which was connected, the connected adapter was auto renamed to wi-fi 2

Started again from scratch. Reference video, same as the link followed earlier https://windowsreport.com/wi-fi-valid-ip-configuration-windows-10/
Step 1
netsh winsock reset works fine
netsh int ip reset gives that error as shown in the first post but it gives that error in this video also though mine is more with a little more settings or something.
I restarted but it didn't work. So, tried the next commands
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushds
ipconfig /renew
And I get this error No operation can be performed on ethernet etc. while it has its media disconnected (What is this and how to resolve this?)
Zoomed in

Found this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...i-try-to/e0541113-cc92-40e6-84fa-1ebb8ac0fd24 but I wasn't able to fix it with the steps mentioned in the suggested answer. These are the suggested commands
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip stop
netsh int ip start
The last two commands are not found by the system

https://superuser.com/questions/1037686/windows-10-ipconfig-renew-not-working this link says to use ipconfig /release before doing an ipconfig /renew. Did that and same results

Please help

Last edited:
Are you on laptop or desktop...it is not able to fetch ip from your router....try putting in manually....check on your phone for details in wifi...you will get idea what to put in your machine

Are you on laptop or desktop...it is not able to fetch ip from your router....try putting in manually....check on your phone for details in wifi...you will get idea what to put in your machine
HP ab522tx laptop. Can you explain the rest of the part in detail?
Are all network services running properly? Check under services.msc
Edit- Did you mean under services.msc >> WLAN AutoConfig? Startup type automatic and service status is running there.

Any solution for this error?
It is not letting me release or renew the ip.
@nRiTeCh @Silent47Assassin @rockyo27
ipconfig /all taken from the laptop C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /allWindows IP Configuration Host Name . - Pastebin.com Same thing from a pc on the same wifi C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /allWindows IP Configuration Host Name . - Pastebin.com
Using my phone's hotspot as a wifi connection. Jio sim.

Filled those numbers manually, left the dns server empty as didn't know what to fill there and from unidentified network it has started showing the wifi's name

Unidentified network as seen earlier

Wifi name now

What to do now?

Edit- Connected to a new hotspot, another phone with a jio sim, using the same values in ipv4 etc. as filled above and it shows unidentified network

Changed it to auto select the ipv4, subnet etc. and it says identifying

Last edited:
There is a DHCP service too. I believe that also needs to be running.
The ethernet error is ok and can be ignored for the physical interface (eth2 if I read it correctly from the image). Can you try to disable all the other virtual adapters and then try renewing the IP?

HP ab522tx laptop. Can you explain the rest of the part in detail?

Edit- Did you mean under services.msc >> WLAN AutoConfig? Startup type automatic and service status is running there.

Any solution for this error?
It is not letting me release or renew the ip.
@nRiTeCh @Silent47Assassin @rockyo27
ipconfig /all taken from the laptop C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /allWindows IP Configuration Host Name . - Pastebin.com Same thing from a pc on the same wifi C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /allWindows IP Configuration Host Name . - Pastebin.com
Using my phone's hotspot as a wifi connection. Jio sim.

Filled those numbers manually, left the dns server empty as didn't know what to fill there and from unidentified network it has started showing the wifi's name

Unidentified network as seen earlier

Wifi name now

What to do now?

Edit- Connected to a new hotspot, another phone with a jio sim, using the same values in ipv4 etc. as filled above and it shows unidentified network

Changed it to auto select the ipv4, subnet etc. and it says identifying

PM me we will have a remote share...Its difficult to discuss here.

There is a DHCP service too. I believe that also needs to be running.
Startup type automatic
Service status running

Can you try to disable all the other virtual adapters and then try renewing the IP?
You mean disable everything except wifi from here
and then use the command ipconfig /renew ? Only this command?
Edit- Disabled all other adapters and now all of them are asking for an update
(The wifi adapter has started showing the name of the wifi. It is because I have filled the values in ipv5 manually ipv4 to 192.168.18.10, subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway +dns 192.168.18.56, alternate dns 1.1.1.1 Did you check the pastebin links in the previous links? + @nRiTeCh )
What are the WAN miniports in the above ss?

Used the ipconfig /renew command

Please read the original post, this issue started after I kept on ignoring the downloaded update for weeks. Any need to reinstall the wfi adapter driver from their website?
PM me we will have a remote share...Its difficult to discuss here.
Done

Last edited:
gateway +dns 192.168.18.56
Is this your router's LAN IP? Was this configured manually on the router page? Typically it is something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Can you try with DHCP instead of manual config once more with all the other adapters disabled? Also, is DHCP enabled on your router? See the attached screenshots.

Attachments

• config PC.png
    config PC.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Config Router.png
    Config Router.png
    6 KB · Views: 102
Is this your router's LAN IP? Was this configured manually on the router page? Typically it is something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Can you try with DHCP instead of manual config once more with all the other adapters disabled? Also, is DHCP enabled on your router? See the attached screenshots.
Brother I am not using a router, just mobile hotspot from my Samsung phone via a Jio sim. I filled up those ipv4, dns, gateway etc. values as seen in the second system which works fine on the same hotspot.

Can you try with DHCP instead of manual config once more with all the other adapters disabled?
How to do this?

Also, is DHCP enabled on your router? See the attached screenshots.
Using a hotspot via a phone. DHCP is enabled and running in services.msc

Please read the original post, this issue started after I kept on ignoring the downloaded update for weeks. Any need to reinstall the wfi adapter driver from their website?
https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8723be-software

I did read the first post, but postponing or installing a windows update should not really break WiFi. Something must have gone wrong and most likely, software wise.

How to do this?
In Windows, set the system to automatically obtain IP address on IPV4. Once done, let it connect to the hotspot and check what IP configuration it is being assigned. As an added measure, you can uninstall the driver once again (check the delete drivers checkbox) and reinstall the drivers from your manufacturer website (laptop support page).

Also, if you have a USB wifi dongle lying around, connect it to the laptop and check if that helps with the internet connectivity.

Lastly, please check if you have set any data limit on the particular connection as it is marked as a metered connection. That may also block traffic once the limit is reached.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 86
I did read the first post, but postponing or installing a windows update should not really break WiFi. Something must have gone wrong and most likely, software wise.
Wifi doesn't have the valid ip configuration error is all what I am seeing since the past many days :(

In Windows, set the system to automatically obtain IP address on IPV4. Once done, let it connect to the hotspot and check what IP configuration it is being assigned.
Manually filled

Automatic

As an added measure, you can uninstall the driver once again (check the delete drivers checkbox) and reinstall the drivers from your manufacturer website (laptop support page).
Installed the version 2023.56.0502.2017 from here https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8723be-software but after restarting this version was showing up

If I uninstall it and then let the system install it itself while restarting, the same version shows up. This version is present on the manufacturer's website
The one installed in the system is 2024.0.4.208 dated 26.05.19 and as per their website it is 2024.0.4.108 dated 05.06.19. Why this difference?

Also, if you have a USB wifi dongle lying around, connect it to the laptop and check if that helps with the internet connectivity.
Don't have the same. This is a work laptop so can't take it to somewhere just to check with the ethernet port. Moreover most people don't have that nowadays, just normal wifi.

Lastly, please check if you have set any data limit on the particular connection as it is marked as a metered connection. That may also block traffic once the limit is reached
It does but the internet is connected. BTW no limit is selected in this system.

This error is still there :(

The one installed in the system is 2024.0.4.208 dated 26.05.19 and as per their website it is 2024.0.4.108 dated 05.06.19. Why this difference?
It is probably getting the latest one from Windows Update. While uninstalling the driver, did you also check the checkbox to delete the same? If not, it will always install the latest version. Try the below settings:

1. Disable automatic driver updates from Windows Update.
2. Disable IPv6 in wifi adapter settings.
3. Change the hotspot name in your phone and connect to the new hotspot.
4. Perform a network reset from settings.
5. Revert to the last stable OS version (assuming your latest update is the root cause here).

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Untitled4.png
    Untitled4.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 83
@Silent47Assassin @nRiTeCh
Again following this link https://windowsreport.com/wi-fi-valid-ip-configuration-windows-10/ and this
Followed first point again, result

No gateway shown in ipconfig /release
umable to contact your dhcp server error in wifi.

The same wifi, connected via hotspot from a phone, is working fine in 10+ devices
It is probably getting the latest one from Windows Update. While uninstalling the driver, did you also check the checkbox to delete the same? If not, it will always install the latest version. Try the below settings:

1. Disable automatic driver updates from Windows Update.
2. Disable IPv6 in wifi adapter settings.
3. Change the hotspot name in your phone and connect to the new hotspot.
4. Perform a network reset from settings.
5. Revert to the last stable OS version (assuming your latest update is the root cause here).
While uninstalling the driver, did you also check the checkbox to delete the same? If not, it will always install the latest version.
I didn't. I don't want to loose that installation file.

1. Should I do this now or in the future once this thing is rectified? I mean not able to connect to the internet so don't know how this will help now.
2. Done. Same result.
3. Done. Same result. Connected via hotspots using different phones with different hotspot names but same error.
4. Done many many times but same result.
5. Here's the thing that update was downloaded like in first week of July. It always used to show me a notification to install it. But I kept on ignoring it and put the laptop in sleep mode. Now after the system froze and I restarted it, that update was gone. It didn't install as there was no sign of the installation windows. Now the update history shows me the last update which was installed in June. I cannot revert it back because it has been more than 10 days. The update page shows me a new update but I cannot download and install it as I cannot connect to the internet. Where are the downloaded update files stored? Can I install the last update which was downloaded and I delayed it, manually?
Reinstalling the Windows will be a mess as it is a work laptop. Please check this post https://techenclave.com/threads/wi-fi-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration-error.199647/post-2288535

Last edited:
I can understand the trouble in reinstalling windows on a work laptop.
Don't anticipate anything from past experience, there's no harm in trying auto created restore point after taking essential backup but consider it as last option.
This youtube video provided in the above link isn't' loading, but I can see winsock reset failed as mentioned in 2nd last line. access denied. you've run ip reset command as administrator ?

Back