Wifi 6e 6 Ghz on Quest 3 in India

Betak

Patron
Hi,

I have this router as a dedicated router for PCVR on my Quest 2. It is connected to my PC through the 10 Gbps ethernet port. I use another router for my internet. This is purely for PCVR. I am getting a Quest 3 (imported ) in a few days. I know the 6 Ghz bandwidth is still locked in India.

Question: Will Wifi 6e 6 Ghz work on my Quest 3 through this router?

The question is if the router transmits at 6 GHz with an Indian firmware. Legally that is not yet allowed till 6 GHz is freed up for use in India.

If router transmits at 6 GHz, the next question is whether Quest 3 has any region-specific settings, in which case they would disable it for India.

BTW I have a Pico 4 that I use over AX and the available bandwidth is 1.3 GBps whereas streaming is limited to 150 Mbps in most cases, can increase to 400 Mbps through other means. Dedicated 5 GHz is mostly not going to be any different from 6 GHz for this use case depending on what the streaming rate is for the Oculus 3.

The question is if the router transmits at 6 GHz with an Indian firmware. Legally that is not yet allowed till 6 GHz is freed up for use in India.

If router transmits at 6 GHz, the next question is whether Quest 3 has any region-specific settings, in which case they would disable it for India.

BTW I have a Pico 4 that I use over AX and the available bandwidth is 1.3 GBps whereas streaming is limited to 150 Mbps in most cases, can increase to 400 Mbps through other means. Dedicated 5 GHz is mostly not going to be any different from 6 GHz for this use case depending on what the streaming rate is for the Oculus 3.
True. The maximum bitrate through Virtual Desktop is 400 Mbps (h.264+). The quest 2 can't encode more than 200 Mbps, which is why AirLink is capped at 200. Virtual Desktop on the other hand has added AV1 support and bumped the bitrate to 400 for the Quest 3. I wanted to switch to 6 GHz wifi 6e to eliminate network congestion in the 2.4 and 5 GHz bandwidths. There are a LOT of wifi networks in my apartment.

Wait it's not usable in India? I see so many mobos advertising 6E available for purchase here
The government has not made the 6 GHz spectrum available on an unlicensed basis like the other spectrum. From what I remember, it is mostly a request from the military as they use the same.

Strictly, it is illegal to use the 6 GHz spectrum without license. Both transmitters and clients are not supposed to use it if it is not allowed. I suppose motherboards don't come with region-specific BIOS which keeps the radio enabled. If the router firmware is also not region locked, then you should be able to use it, though it is illegal to do so.

...it is mostly a request from the military as they use the same.
Why does the military care what band Wifi I use at home since 6GHz should get blocked by walls even more easily than 5GHz band, and have even less range?

Looks like everyone is fighting over it -
Are you confusing WiFi 6 (uses 6GHz band) with 6G (6th generation) mobile network or am I missing something?

Why does the military care what band Wifi I use at home since 6GHz should get blocked even more easily than 5GHz band, and have even less range?

Are you confusing WiFi 6 (uses 6GHz band) with 6G (6th generation) mobile network or am I missing something?
Because it causes interference if people around are communicating on the same frequency.

WiFi 6 is not 6 GHz, 6E is. Thing is military, telcos, ISPs as well as equipment manufacturers are fighting over it because of the bandwidth it offers and not having to pay for it if it is released for unlicensed use.

Edit: Military actually uses 6 GHz for satellite phones.

Because it causes interference if people around are communicating on the same frequency.
They won't actually be using the exact same frequency. For e.g. both Bluetooth and WiFi work on 2.5GHz BAND, but the allocated frequency range for each will be different, and then those are subdivided into channels which is what is actually used by the devices?

WiFi 6 is not 6 GHz, 6E is. Thing is military, telcos, ISPs as well as equipment manufacturers are fighting over it because of the bandwidth it offers and not having to pay for it if it is released for unlicensed use.
Mobile spectrum was always auctioned, but BT & WiFi in the ISM band were always free for public use right?

They won't actually be using the exact same frequency. For e.g. both Bluetooth and WiFi work on 2.5GHz BAND, but the allocated frequency range for each will be different, and then those are subdivided into channels which is what is actually used by the devices?

Mobile spectrum was always auctioned, but BT & WiFi in the ISM band were always free for public use right?
Yeah, 2.4 GHz has always been free and hence used by microwaves, cordless phones, WiFi, Bluetooth. 5 GHz came into use more than a couple of decades back and at that time there was not much demand for it and hence probably it became universal, though governments still blocked part of the spectrum, hence all channels are not available in all countries.

6 GHz probably has become more contentious because governments have realised that income from spectrum can be huge.

Wait it's not usable in India? I see so many mobos advertising 6E available for purchase here
This is from another forum. It could work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231012-214619~2.png
    Screenshot_20231012-214619~2.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 104

Quest 3 is not region locked. But I understand it will be "illegal".

Quest 3 is not region locked. But I understand it will be "illegal".
Only thing is considering Meta is Meta, will it use the Meta account region to limit the band?

Edit: Also seems it hasn't been working on the Quest 3 or Pro mainly due to the Meta and Android software until now.

Back