WiFi - Activation of network connection failed.

I am getting the following error in Ubuntu 20.04 recently. WiFi connects but will backout after a few minutes giving this error. WiFi is almost not useable.

Connection failed

Activation of network connection failed.

I tried the first 2-3 guides on Google. Like resetting NM and similar. But mostly I failed to correct it. I see that this is a common error. Did anyone manage to outplay it ?

Tried 2 different routers. Thanks.

Is this standard ubuntu 20.04 main distro or some derivative distro?

Have you customised anything at all, especially related to hardware or wifi?

Finally, can you try changing the WiFi channel to a different one and try again?

Does wifi issue occur in other distro? (either windows or ubuntu newer version or another distro altogether)?

Is this standard ubuntu 20.04 main distro or some derivative distro?
A standard 20.04

Have you customised anything at all, especially related to hardware or wifi?

No, not that I know of. It working before, at some point 3 months back this issues started.

Finally, can you try changing the WiFi channel to a different one and try again?

From n to b or g ?

Does wifi issue occur in other distro? (either windows or ubuntu newer version or another distro altogether)?

All Ubuntu distros including Neon. Works fine on Fedora. I do not have Windows on this machine. Thanks.
Try enabling the network connection using root access.

Thanks. Can you share the command please ?

You could try downloading linux-firmware.git to get latest for your wifi chip.

Is it intel based wifi chip?

If it was working before then a recent kernel update might have started the issue.

You can also try installing the HWE hardware enablement stack ... newer 5.8 kernel for LTS release... there is even newer -edge package which gives kernel 5.11 I believe... Google for steps.

No, a Dlink WiFi card on my desktop. PCI -e, I guess. The one that we plugin to the motherboard.

I presume it's a DWA‑525?

You may try downloading the latest prebuilt "linux-firmware" package from here and install it manually. Also turn off WLAN power saving and monitor the changes. Nonetheless, the performance of this chipset is rather abysmal and you should consider upgrading if possible.

Last edited:
Back