wifi problem

hi guys..
i have buffalo whr-g125, with mtnl adsl connection

heres the problem:
1- when i set WPA2-PSK security from the router config page, my phone (P1i) is able to connect, but dad's laptop (running XP) is not. the wireless connections box shows the home network, but when i connect, the progress bar seems to go on forever

2-when i set WPA-PSK security from the router config page, the laptop connects, but the phone cant!

3-my bro's ipod touch connects in both of the above settings!

what exactly is the problem here?
how can i solve it?

thanks!

edit-update:
jus checked a few things on the net...
apparantly WPA-PSK is not AES, but TKIP...
set TKIP in phone but still dosent connect...

What version of XP is on the laptop?? If it's SP2, I'd suggest you either install SP3 or install the WPA2 support patch from support.microsoft.com Only XP SP3 and Vista support WPA2 out of the box. SP2 requires a patch installed.

I would advise that you try to set the laptop's connection to WPA2, which is generally safer. The P1 must have a setting that allows it to connect with less secure networks.

Basically once you set the router's security specs, all devices must be able to operate at the same settings (it's redundant seeing as you already know this). I too have massive problems on a WPA2 network, all clients never seem to see the network unless I soft reboot or repair the connection manually.

the laptop is indeed running sp2...ill hunt for the patch u mentioned...thks...hope this works out...
seems surprising that xp dosent have wpa2 support while a phone does!

Was looking the the Microsoft support site and I couldn't find the patch. Unless you have better luck than I did, you'll have to install SP3 on the laptop. Which is not necessarily a bad thing!

Once updated, hopefully you shouldn't face any problems. Both my wireless networks, back home and here in Pune, are running WPA2-AES without any problems. The devices are either running Vista or XP SP3. And then there's a few assorted phones all of which support WPA2-AES. Never had any connectivity problems so far.

thanks a lot jampack...will jus try this out an post here...

prolly will install sp3 too once i get some time

edit: update-
just installed the patch...works like a charm...
repped!

Back