Wifi Router with or without modem?

Avish

Disciple
For BSNL broadband. I already have iBall Baton wired modem router, which is working flawlessly since 2011, but now I want to share the connection through wifi. So should I just get wireless router and make it work with iball or get rid of iBall and buy a wireless router with modem?

I've never used wifi before, so any advice, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Better get a separate wifi router and pair it with your ADSL modem. It easy to do so. Besides, I am yet to find a wifi-ADSL integrated device which can beat the ADSL/WIFI separate device setup.

Get a router with ADSL modem. Reduces clutter and should not cost much compared to a stand alone router. USB ports, printer sharing, automated downloads, DLNA support are extra features you can look out for depending on your budget.

Besides, I am yet to find a wifi-ADSL integrated device which can beat the ADSL/WIFI separate device setup.
Exactly :)

You also have far more choice (100s of wifi routers vs 10 combo modem-routers) and better value from separate wifi devices. Third party firmware support is almost non-existent on combo devices.
Plus modems tend to flake out fairly often compared to Wifi routers. I think I've been through 2~3 modems but haven't changed a wifi router yet. Wouldn't you rather just change a modem instead of having to dump the combo everytime there's a problem.

I think I've been through 2~3 modems but haven't changed a wifi router yet.
Surprised to hear that modems die that easily. I've never had a modem (Used a Utstarcom from BSNL before switching to Netgear modem + router in 2011) fail at home since 2006. By the way I run them 24x7.

^ It's highly dependant on the quality of the telephone line, lightning surges, and your distance to the exchange.
In general if your setup is modular its easier to trace and swap out a faulty component.

Still confused! :D On one hand I'd love to reduce clutter, cause already too many wires dangling around my desk. On the other hand separate router will cost half, but will increase couple more wires!

Eddy, I've been using BSNL BB since 2005. And my current modem is only my 2nd one. BSNL modem lasted till 2011 and using iBall Baton since, with no problems whatsoever, yet! So I guess I don't have to worry (much) about modem dying.

Last edited:
Back