wikileaks is down; long live wikileaks

dasgupta_arup said:
so what do you think will win this david-goliath thing??
Nobody.

I heard an Arab diplomat say the other day to the americans that this would not change anything between them as they use twice the abusive language in their internal memo's when referring to the Americans :lol:

dasgupta_arup said:
personally if i was the GOVERNMENT i would rather feed it false info to discredit the site rather than try to use force which makes it more legitimate .... sort of
They have to make an effort otherwise they do not look good.

The worst this is going to achieve is on the personal to personal level, ppl whose names come out saying bad things about their counterparts in other countries are going to be replaced which isn't a good thing. All in all a real nightmare for poor Hillary :(

kippu said:
nice to see america getting pissed off :D
Why ?

I think wikileaks is a rubbish concept an average joe cannot under any circumstances understand the various situations put there. The things said and done in those situations are much more different than what we have seen in our lives. And, posting that on the internet is just disgusting.

poor noone, the fact that all of this crap is out now just shows how much shit actually goes on.. lol :p

eitherway since diplomacy wont work with wikileaks, they'll resort to number of hack attacks to bring the site down.. lol

No active discussion on WikiLeaks here ...

Are you not following it ... or it censored here .. (Just kidding) ..

I would like to know the views of TE members regarding this issue ..

I support Wikileaks because its important for freedom of free speech and transparency. politicization can hide facts, wikileaks seems to be going commendable job

imo, wikileaks is just another terrorist organization. why? cause they published a list of most vulnerable places in USA. That endangers people's lives to a great extent there. Also they might in the near future also publish places in India or any other country once they get their hands on it. And all that talk of publishing even more documents is just a threat for more money. whistle blower my foot. Those people are just extortionists in disguise.

btw, that Julian Assange guy got arrested and denied bail. Hope they put him in prison for lifetime.

BBC News - Wikileaks founder Julian Assange refused bail

6pack said:
imo, wikileaks is just another terrorist organization.
I think whistleblowers should have protection. There is no protection whatsoever in this country for whistleblowers thats why nothing serious ever sees the light of day. Whilst i don't entirely agree with what they've done with the cables i think its important that there is an org like this that will fearlessly pubish information they deem to be in the public interest. Because its only a matter of time when they do the right thing.

6pack said:
why? cause they published a list of most vulnerable places in USA. That endangers people's lives to a great extent there.
That list is not as important as its made out to be. Remember wikileaks does not have a single cable classified as 'EYES ONLY' or TOP SECRET so nothing critical to US security has been compromised. At most this is an embarrasing incident, a failure of security protocol at the state department. All the histrionics are a side show.

6pack said:
Also they might in the near future also publish places in India or any other country once they get their hands on it. And all that talk of publishing even more documents is just a threat for more money. whistle blower my foot. Those people are just extortionists in disguise.
He has a curious philosophy which is exposing conspiracies regardless of the country of origin. He has already leaked indian stuff, there was a technical UIDAI document leaked from that site a while back.

I think you're misreading their intent as extortion, its more like self-defense. They're only up against the US govt ;)

6pack said:
btw, that Julian Assange guy got arrested and denied bail. Hope they put him in prison for lifetime.
For an alleged rape ?? nah, that's just a trumped up charge. Not saying that it did not happen but its been made up into something much more because surprise surprise in a free country they don't have anything more to charge & hold him with. It's not going to stop the cables from coming out in their entirety which has been downloaded many times over already. the only thing missing is the encryption key to read them all so that wikileaks can be the first to break them along with the agreed newspapers.

Watch him not get extradited to Sweden.

If we talk about Manning, he deserves to go to jail for treason as he exposed information that did not belong to him. I would say Manning is the one most at fault here.

Assange isn't doing anything more than what 5 major dailes in about four countries are already doing. Last i checked these papers are running stories without any obstruction by the state.

Back