Video Will chromecast be good for streaming HD movies from my laptop to the TV

See this video...
[DOUBLEPOST=1410073384][/DOUBLEPOST]But it's a brand new product from a Bangalore based company so you might face bugs. Well, about chromecast you know.

I saw that, it mentions only the "offline" files that are the on the laptop and then streams them to the TV. I am not sure if it works like chromecast like "screencast" where we can videos from (Ex: stream episodes of a series etc)

Looks like the dont have "screencast" functionality yet. Its coming in "near" future -

P.S: I think its the CTO who answered my question!

MeDoes teewe come with an option to cast broswer screens? similar to "googlecast" add on? I want to use it similar to the chromecast device where i stream TV shows/movies on my laptop and this is sent to my TV. Is this possible?

20:22Shubh MalhotraHey

20:22Shubh MalhotraWe have better functionality than that

20:22Shubh Malhotrayou can stream videos/movies from your PC using our desktop apllication

20:22Shubh Malhotraand it will not be a screen cast

20:22Shubh Malhotrabut the original stream

20:22Shubh Malhotrahence no audio/video lag

20:25Mei watch videos on a website (watching TV Shows) on my laptop browser. Can i directly stream this or do i need to download the video and then watch it over teewe?

20:25Shubh MalhotraWe are building PC screen mirroring as well

20:26Shubh Malhotrathat will be rolled out as a software upgrade in the near future

20:26Meah ok. Got it. Thanks for the help!

From what i can tell the best use for this teewe device is to stream youtube content to your tv from a mobile device. Even full hd YT content is pretty compressed and will fit within n150 streaming limits. The catch is you can't access 1080p content any longer from a mobile, its 720p only. Only pc's can access higher than 720p.

Or to play music from your mobile to the tv. It wifi enables a 'dumb' tv to a certain extent.

You will not be able to reliably stream any offline high rez full hd media. In fact this thing will have trouble streaming 1080p 60fps video shot from mobiles. 30fps 1080p only and below will work fine. Teewe is for people with simpler requirements than the OP.

Here is the important bit

Wireless Standards: 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)

It's n150, had it been ac the throughput would have been 3x higher. Not worth buying dongles unless they offer ac or are at least 2x2. some of sony's recent tv dongles are 2x2, expect samsungs are the same too. Since teewe does not have a wifi cert by the wifi alliance its by default n150 and not any higher.

wifi ac will cost much more but will be more useful but router needs to be in the same room as the tv. for these kinds of devices that interact with mobiles, ac is ideal as you will always be close by with no walls in between to attenuate the signal. Course you need a mobile that has ac too.

I'd give the edge to the chromecast as it can screencast in addition which teewes does not offer. The only reason this device has a purpose in life is because chromecast isn't easily available. But chromecast is also n150 too, the next update with wifi will hopefully be better.

Last edited:
If bandwidth is an issue, plex or even screencast can transcode on the fly.

But chromecast or teewe won't help if your HDMI ports aren't working.

I was just saying not going to buy it. I am looking at some android dongles too when I verify that HDMI ports are working. WD tv is bit expensive but would be the last option.

So, I finally bought good quality VGA cables marked '1080 HDMI' for 170 bucks and am satisfied with the output. Played 1080p videos like charm, Sin city looks wow so amazing and watching T2 for the gazillionth time. :D Played games at 1080p @100hz without any hickup. Looks like my problem is solved. Though HDMI ports remains to checked for fault.

Edit: Forgot to thank all you guys who contributed. Silly me. Thank you all for your time. :)

Am a bit lost here. You're using the laptop as a media player. You have an hdmi cable connected on the laptop end to the the VGA socket on the tv end. SO sound is coming out of the laptop or its connected to some hifi.

Why aren't you using hdmi on your tv and use the sound it puts out.

What was the problem with the previous cable you were using ?

@blr_p If you read my original post, I stated my problem that the HDMI ports are not working(all the 4 ports). A google search revealed that Samsung sold defective units in 2011-12(google 'Samsung HDMI no signal error'). Now out of warranty, it costs me 6 grand for a Mobo replacement(and no assurance that it would not happen again).

Connected the laptop to TV via male to male audio cable.

Back