Will you upgrade GPU in below condition?

What would you upgrade to if upgrading...

• Total voters

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
Summary format intro:
1) I have 2 system.
2) Primary have RX 6800XT and Secondary one have RTX 3060Ti Founder edition (Bough second hand few months back)

Now, With my 5900X Processor, which I don't think I will upgrade as I still even have my 3900X as well, what would be a upgrade. I do want to play mine craft and other games which have RTX. so should I upgrade or wait more, or no upgrade at all. Just picking brains here on this idea!

Options I have:
1) Second hand 3080ti for below 50K.
2) Second hand 3090 <= 60K.
3) Get something from latest generation.

I have tried to keep the thread shot. If I get a second hand gpu, will be selling 3060Ti and will move 6800XT to secondary pc. That's a general Idea as of now!
43 people watched and only one voted. at least vote, :angelic: fellas!

Last edited:
I wont ask you how to play, but so far i think RT is quite overrated and has huge fps drop vs IQ improvement.
1) Only reflections really show up. For rest you have to be an expert to differentiate - If non-RT has been done well.
2) Unreal 5 has lumen which does not seem to impact AMD cards too much and performance is close to NVIDIA. So there is that.
3) I have a 3080 10gb, if i was buying today i would actually buy 6800xt and up has it has more VRAM and is better equipped for future.

That said, you have multiple gpus, so you can probably afford it. In that case a used 3090 with more than enough VRAM seems a good option vs NVIDIA alternatives at that price point, and you can sell even 6800xt for that which is definately a downgrade vs 3090. If you can find Zotac with 5y warranty registered then even better.

I wont ask you how to play, but so far i think RT is quite overrated and has huge fps drop vs IQ improvement.
1) Only reflections really show up. For rest you have to be an expert to differentiate - If non-RT has been done well.
2) Unreal 5 has lumen which does not seem to impact AMD cards too much and performance is close to NVIDIA. So there is that.
3) I have a 3080 10gb, if i was buying today i would actually buy 6800xt and up has it has more VRAM and is better equipped for future.

That said, you have multiple gpus, so you can probably afford it. In that case a used 3090 with more than enough VRAM seems a good option vs NVIDIA alternatives at that price point, and you can sell even 6800xt for that which is definately a downgrade vs 3090. If you can find Zotac with 5y warranty registered then even better.
the most I can find is 1.6 year on inno3D. zotac would have been great! The reason I am on 6800XT is due to Hackintosh. else I was also going to buy the non LHR Generation of 3080 :p

I will be trying hardcore gaming, lets see how it impact the working. also the way I was thinking was to keep 6800XT and sell 3060Ti, don't know how it affects the whole experience!

Why are you trying to upgrade?

3090 is not like a very big upgrade over 6800XT for gaming, vs say what 4080 is. Just stick to 6800XT for gaming, upgrade next gen.

GPU high end 4K (2).png

Why are you trying to upgrade?

3090 is not like a very big upgrade over 6800XT for gaming, vs say what 4080 is. Just stick to 6800XT for gaming, upgrade next gen.
Yes, agree with this too and that's what i voted for.

Only reason to go from 6800xt to Nvidia might be if you really really really need to play with RT for some game and AMD card is too slow - i dont think this is worth it.
But if you are going to do it, then 3090 is better than 3080 stuff without potential VRAM issues for future titles ..

I was just checking to have atlest 120fps experience in all games. can't happen in minecraft (RTX) nor EFT I suppose. So was thinking to upgrade.
Do you have a 4K Monitor or TV in which you are gaming. I recently upgraded from a 2K 144 Hertz to a 4K/120 Hertz and DLSS makes a big difference. GPU being used is a 3080Ti.
PS : I am running a 2600K (very old CPU). When I am playing COD Cold War without DLSS, at ultra settings, I get anywhere from 45 to 70 frames but the moment I enabled DLSS with quality, it does not goes below 80 frames. So that helps. RT - I am not using. But I think, that 6800XT and 3080Ti or above GPU are capable of handling 4K at a very cost effective price (given that you are buying USED).

RTX 4080 makes no sense and RTX 4090 is priced insanely.

Do you have a 4K Monitor or TV in which you are gaming. I recently upgraded from a 2K 144 Hertz to a 4K/120 Hertz and DLSS makes a big difference. GPU being used is a 3080Ti.
PS : I am running a 2600K (very old CPU). When I am playing COD Cold War without DLSS, at ultra settings, I get anywhere from 45 to 70 frames but the moment I enabled DLSS with quality, it does not goes below 80 frames. So that helps. RT - I am not using. But I think, that 6800XT and 3080Ti or above GPU are capable of handling 4K at a very cost effective price (given that you are buying USED).

RTX 4080 makes no sense and RTX 4090 is priced insanely.
No 4k gaming at the moment. Was going to upgrade in future. but currently 2k 144hz is the way.

I think console gaming, is the best though I have a 3080Ti. Console is super easy, visually PC games will always be good looking. I have so many pending games but hardly get the time to finish them.
If you are gaming at 2K/144 Hertz. 3080Ti/6800XT will be enough for now. Anything higher than the current resolution, may or might need an upgrade.

I am planning to upgrade to 13600K/5800X3D and I think, paired with 3080Ti, I am set for the next 2 years @4K/120 Hertz

I think console gaming, is the best though I have a 3080Ti. Console is super easy, visually PC games will always be good looking. I have so many pending games but hardly get the time to finish them.
If you are gaming at 2K/144 Hertz. 3080Ti/6800XT will be enough for now. Anything higher than the current resolution, may or might need an upgrade.

I am planning to upgrade to 13600K/5800X3D and I think, paired with 3080Ti, I am set for the next 2 years @4K/120 Hertz
The only thing I don't want is shuttering and not so good experience in gameplay. I want to enjoy games at its max setting at playable framerates. I think games like CS:GO, Valorant, COD and Warzone requires high FPS. I would also add Mine Craft in it not an issue if you want to play alone but if its SMP then you might NVIDIA to enjoy is what I think, might not be the case.

I wonder if FSR 3.0 Will work on RDNA 2 Gpu's that would be awesome for sure :)

The only thing I don't want is shuttering and not so good experience in gameplay. I want to enjoy games at its max setting at playable framerates. I think games like CS:GO, Valorant, COD and Warzone requires high FPS. I would also add Mine Craft in it not an issue if you want to play alone but if its SMP then you might NVIDIA to enjoy is what I think, might not be the case.

I wonder if FSR 3.0 Will work on RDNA 2 Gpu's that would be awesome for sure :)
Which one is having stuttering, 6800XT or 3060Ti ?

That's a very good combo imo. I myself am running a 13600k with a 3080ti and I couldn't be happier. Although with Unreal Engine 5 I probably won't be able to dial all the settings to 11 but it doesn't even matter fidelity wise. I recently bought a PS5 and I have a newfound respect for my PC config. With the PS5 you choose between stuttering 30 FPS gameplay with gorgeous graphics or >60 FPS with upscaled textures. I love my 3080ti (and hate Sony for not allowing ultrawide resolutions on the PS5)

Waiting for the 5000 gen of GPUs to arrive to either snap up a 4080/4090 or get a 5080

I was just checking to have atlest 120fps experience in all games. can't happen in minecraft (RTX) nor EFT I suppose. So was thinking to upgrade.
For 2K 120fps in most games, you need 4080. For 4K 120fps, you need 4090. Unless you can splurge on those, 6800XT is still a solid choice. The performance impact of RT is just too much even now. Also, not all games need 120fps. Many games are fine at 70-80fps, which is what I target for SP games.

Also, if you have a 4K monitor/TV, just use DLSS/FSR quality mode. Native 2K should still look pretty good on a 4K display. High bitrate 1080p video vs 4K video is not that noticeable in 4K TVs in my experience.

For me, in terms of resolution, 720p to 1080p was the biggest jump. Beyond that, its kind of diminishing returns, 1080p to 1440p has been a much less noticeable upgrade, so I assume 1440p to 2160p won't be anything huge as well for gaming.

PS - I use 3070 for 1440p gaming. Except for a few games which hit the VRAM limit this year, I'm still satisfied with 3070's performance.

Had two 6900XTs. Second one was a letdown. Could have gone with a 7900XTX but it can't even compete in raster and has (had?) many issues apart from performance. The price of 4090 just does not sit right with me.

Back