Will you upgrade GPU in below condition?

What would you upgrade to if upgrading...

• Total voters
Shuttering means not like issue issue. I meant fps drop if heavy rendering screen.
If gpu is not bottleneck for stutters, it could be cpu - x3d chips are supposed to have smoother lows in games. Esp games like cyperbunk can often have cpu bottlenecks with older cpus and i think it does better with intel cpus. And for competetive gaming, people are generally cpu bound as those games are not heavy to run + you can reduce graphics for max FPS and motion clarity. Also need high refresh rate monitor for that.
3900x will probably be slow and similar to 3600x for gaming ( still good enough generally but more likely to have cpu bottlenecks), 5900x should be decent but 5800x3d and 7600x/7700x/7800x3d will be even better. Use something like afterburner overlay to see whether you are getting bottlenecked by cpu during stutters.

I think 5900x + 6800xt should generally be fine - only saying above if you really really need higher/smoother fps and money is not issue. Also generally you get most of the FPS with 6/8 cores itself i think and things like 5900x/5950x with 12/16 cores are more meant for work related multithreading needs.

The reason a 3090 came to my mind was vram and performance of rtx in minecraft I suppose with GTAV RP. I have not extensively tested GTAV RP with 6800XT as at the time I did, I had an issue with CPU and may be due to it the issue existed. after that I RMA the cpu and I can see not shutters in games. but the fps does drops in heavy scenes even in valorant. but its above 200+ so I don't think its and issue.
Got 26fps to 34fps on Mine craft Bedrock RTX. this will fall for sure if we have more entities :p 20 is min as I have observed. This is on RX6800XT

rtx-minecraft.png

without rtx in bedrock its 50 min while loading alot of chunks else 80 to 133 or even more...

rtx-minecraft.png

Java edition is alone the line ...

Last edited:
Summary format intro:
1) I have 2 system.
2) Primary have RX 6800XT and Secondary one have RTX 3060Ti Founder edition (Bough second hand few months back)

Now, With my 5900X Processor, which I don't think I will upgrade as I still even have my 3900X as well, what would be a upgrade. I do want to play mine craft and other games which have RTX. so should I upgrade or wait more, or no upgrade at all. Just picking brains here on this idea!

Options I have:
1) Second hand 3080ti for below 50K.
2) Second hand 3090 <= 60K.
3) Get something from latest generation.

I have tried to keep the thread shot. If I get a second hand gpu, will be selling 3060Ti and will move 6800XT to secondary pc. That's a general Idea as of now!
43 people watched and only one voted. at least vote, :angelic: fellas!
if u want to enjoy RT, 4080 is the best option. 4070ti would be slight bump over 6800xt in gaming performance and RT support to some extent but also depends on the resolution youre playing.
If you really need RT go for 4070ti atleast or 4080 is best. otherwise stick to 6800xt. if u can ignore RT dont waste money.

The reason a 3090 came to my mind was vram and performance of rtx in minecraft I suppose with GTAV RP. I have not extensively tested GTAV RP with 6800XT as at the time I did, I had an issue with CPU and may be due to it the issue existed. after that I RMA the cpu and I can see not shutters in games. but the fps does drops in heavy scenes even in valorant. but its above 200+ so I don't think its and issue.
Got 26fps to 34fps on Mine craft Bedrock RTX. this will fall for sure if we have more entities :p 20 is min as I have observed. This is on RX6800XT

View attachment 170582
without rtx in bedrock its 50 min while loading alot of chunks else 80 to 133 or even more...

View attachment 170584

Java edition is alone the line ...
Difference here is quite a bit - and probably because non-RT version is primitive.

On a lot of recent games, including cyberpunk, difference is much more muted because non RT version has been done well too graphically. Reflections stand out the most and unless you have reflections everywhere it does not matter that much, and screen space reflections can be decent too if done well ( but more error prone).
GTA 5 mod NaturalVision Evolved has some nice SS reflections for example.

Also, you will likely have more stutters with RT
And i dont think RT matters for competitive high refresh rate oriented games. Those will likely be cpu bound instead with decent gpu. And in this case, i think Nvidia drivers have more cpu overhead vs AMD - so cpu bound games tend to do better on AMD gpu.

Back