Windows Windows 10 Technical Preview.

This will be free for WIndows 7. I have one query. My laptop came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I removed that and installed Windows 7 (no genuine). Will I have to install Windows 8 again to get a licensed copy of Windows 10? I Don't have codes for Windows 8. The code is probably installed on the motherboard itself.

Last edited:
This will be free for WIndows 7. I have one query. My laptop came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I removed that and installed Windows 7 (no genuine). Will I have to install Windows 8 again to get a licensed copy of Windows 10? I Don't have codes for Windows 8. The code is probably installed on the motherboard itself.
I had a pirated win8 in one of the laptop. Recently after some updates the `get windoes10' in the task bar disappeared and got a message to activate windows 8 once in couple of hours. Probably you may need genuine win 8 to get licensed copy of the win10 when it is released.

This is the problem with taking tweets from a single person inside MS as official statements :D I'm sure Gabe Aul will be more careful in making future statements on twitter etc. Best to wait for an official announcement (like a blog post maybe) for confirmation on various things, like how long the upgrade offer will last, and if after upgrading, will we be able to reinstall fresh at a later date etc.

Anyone knows what will happen if I "clean" install the windows 10 preview over my current factory installed 8.1 in my laptop? What will happen after the official release? Will my Preview version auto upgrade to qualified full version or will I have to switch back to my factory 8.1 and then upgrade again? I've been trying to find this but cannot find any related info. With the win keys going into UEFI, it is confusing as hell to understand what is going to happen.

Better to upgrade through windows updater in windows 8.1 to 10 because in insider preview you would again need to install fresh OS and update to 10 else u continue to stay in insider program even after release as 8.1 key will not work in win10. Everything murky till 29th ,actually Microsoft clarified about free Win 10 to beta users too.

On my win7, I have a notification to early load windows 10 for free; its there for past few adys. Guess I will wait for a few days post launch before upgrading.

Better to upgrade through windows updater in windows 8.1 to 10 because in insider preview you would again need to install fresh OS and update to 10 else u continue to stay in insider program even after release as 8.1 key will not work in win10. Everything murky till 29th ,actually Microsoft clarified about free Win 10 to beta users too.
Yes there are three possibilities currently
Pre-installed Win 8.1 -> Upgrade install to 10 TP -> after 29Jul either continue to stay on TP or become authenticated upgrade
Pre-installed Win 8.1 -> Clean install to 10 TP -> after 29 Jul can it be made into an authenticated upgrade?
Pre-installed Win 8.1 -> Upgrade/clean install 10 Final after 29 Jul

Case 2 is unclear and case 3 seems to be the safest option for now.

A fairly detailed explanation to those still confused -

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+XP...0+Upgrade+Thanks+to+Loophole/article37411.htm

IMO, the important thing to keep in mind from the said article is -

"As a final note for those who consider exploiting this loophole be aware that just because Microsoft does not currently have a tool to check for Windows XP/Vista on a clean install does not mean that it won't get one. Users who leverage the loophole may be able to safeguard themselves somewhat by first formatting their drive before attempting to install.

Ultimately use the loophole at your own risk, as it's possible at some point Microsoft could yet come with some sort of novel validation scheme (e.g. requiring users who clean installed give the serial numbers of their laptops to verify they're of the proper era) to weed out many of those look to exploit the loophole."

Yes there are three possibilities currently
Pre-installed Win 8.1 -> Upgrade install to 10 TP -> after 29Jul either continue to stay on TP or become authenticated upgrade
Pre-installed Win 8.1 -> Clean install to 10 TP -> after 29 Jul can it be made into an authenticated upgrade?
Pre-installed Win 8.1 -> Upgrade/clean install 10 Final after 29 Jul

Case 2 is unclear and case 3 seems to be the safest option for now.

Case 2: Yes it can be made into an authenticated upgrade provided you have a legit win 7/8/8.1 key.

But yes, case 3 is the best choice.

My Mobo supports Win 7 only. And i don't find audio drivers for Win 8 and Win 10.So if i upgrade to Win10.. Will there be any problem with audio ? Or Will WIn 10 comes with Audio drivers ?
Audio video lan drivers are in windows now. If it needs anything it gets all in updates. Just install 10, you'll find out. I've faced rare issues with drivers since the time 7 came out ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1436659758][/DOUBLEPOST]A fresh install imo is always the best way to go ;)

[DOUBLEPOST=1436704186][/DOUBLEPOST]
10.jpg

Attachments

• 10.1.jpg
    10.1.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Back