Windows 11 announced

With a high performance NVMe SSD and the proper drivers, Windows 11 can soon load new games faster than ever thanks to a breakthrough technology called DirectStorage, which we also pioneered as part of the Xbox Velocity Architecture featured in the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.

With DirectStorage, which will only be available with Windows 11, games can quickly load assets to the graphics card without bogging down the CPU. This means you’ll get to experience incredibly detailed game worlds rendered at lightning speeds, without long load times. “DirectStorage Optimized” Windows 11 PCs are configured with the hardware and drivers needed to enable this amazing experience.
Well, the key word there is beneficial and I think it will be very much so. Faster read access doesn't just allow for faster loading times, but also faster asset streaming. So that not only seems to promise more content in the environment but potentially more varied content as large assets such as high resolution textures and geometry are able to be paged in and out more rapidly. That will hopefully be boosted even more by the smart content fetching possibilities offered by tech like Sampler Feedback. So yes, I think we are seeing some very nice new technologies coming up that really open up the potential of that kind of storage.

My motherboard for i7 6700K have no TPM in spite of being the most expensive motherboard of that time. 30K
I found the settings under Advanced- PCH-FW Config. Check on your mobo. It should have it considering it's a flagship board while mine is just cheap one. Asus does not even call it TPM, that's the reason for all the confusion here.

Have to see how it pans out in terms of the overall UI. The legacy cruft co-existing makes the overall experience a mess. Even otherwise, having limits on processors from just 4 years ago indicates that Windows 11 was more a partner-driven release.
'Partner' - that's how they have been working these days. How to ensure users get to Windows 10 from Windows 7?
Microsoft: Ahh, I am gonna force hardware vendors like Intel, AMD etc. to stop issuing updates for older hardware and make newer hardware to support Windows 10 only.

Hardware vendors(Mostly Intel): Look, how we helped expedite the transition to your Bloatware OS. Now it's time for you to reciprocate. We haven't been able to improve much the performance of our processors in the last few years (AMD64 vs ARM, in-house fab issues on 10nm etc.). So you pick up Win10 as base, try to replicate Apple and apply new skin over Win10, make an emotional appeal throught the event, advertise it using buzzwords 'next generation', 'it’s a fabric woven into our lives', 'inspires' and so on.
And most significantly, render the just recently released hardware as incapable of running the OS while they are perfectly capable. Take the help of UEFI and TPM by making them mandatory.
My motherboard for i7 6700K have no TPM in spite of being the most expensive motherboard of that time. 30K
TPM can be implemented using two routes - 1. via firmware on Processor or SOC itself. 2. A discrete hardware module.

It might have. Most 4th Gen Intel and onwards have TPM functioning as a firmware on the processor themselves. Intel calls it Intel Platform Trust Technology. Look for it in BIOS.
Otherwise, the motherboard is likely gonna have header pins for a discrete TPM module which can be purchased for say 10-15 USD.

I guess Microsoft would have bought the company manufacturing TPM's before announcing this. Or is was it a conspiracy implemented by chia miner :p

What's the benefit of scalping? Windows 11 is still several months away for consumers. It's sad to see normal people getting trapped into the hype that Microsoft managed to create around this OS, and rushing to purchase these modules.

Money
I never said I had all the answers
Sorry, as I didn't express myself clearly. That question wasn't directed towards you.
It was for the scalpers and their rationale behind scalping that people will throng to purchase these dTPM modules when Windows 11 RTM build is still months away.
At the same time was feeling sad for the consumers who are going to purchase at these exorbitant prices, eventually proving that these scalpers were indeed smart enough to hoard these modules.
Thanks to the hype that Microsoft managed to create for Windows 11.

TPMs are usually found in enterprise desktops and laptops. Most consumer boards won't have them. I was seriously considering importing a module for my MSI Tomahawk for since all my drives are Bitlocker encrypted, but then decided against it.

TPMs are usually found in enterprise desktops and laptops. Most consumer boards won't have them. I was seriously considering importing a module for my MSI Tomahawk for since all my drives are Bitlocker encrypted, but then decided against it.
For AMD motherboards, I think AMD fTPM is required as Intel TPM 2.0 won't work with AMD chipsets. But in any case, such security features are not required since it's a soft requirement, not a necessary one.

For AMD motherboards, I think AMD fTPM is required as Intel TPM 2.0 won't work with AMD chipsets. But in any case, such security features are not required since it's a soft requirement, not a necessary one.
Soft requirement. That's no longer the case as Microsoft has clarified that there's no provision as such and has updated the related webpage on its site.
TPM 2.0 is mandatory and the upcoming OS will only support Intel 8th Gen and later CPUs.
Maybe, things will change later, again.
Minimum requirements in detail -

Attachments

• Minimum Hardware Requirements for Windows 11.pdf
    515.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
The reasoning seems fair: https://www.microsoft.com/security/...ecurity-by-design-from-the-chip-to-the-cloud/

Apple's T2 chip does pretty much the same and marked the beginning of the end of the Hackintosh. It was only a matter of time until Microsoft implemented/enforced something similar.

It's possible this is what also makes paid android apps run under Windows, using the TPM chip to authenticate your system with your app purchases. Otherwise I'd imagine APK piracy would be rampant, allowing anyone to run anyone else's paid apps.

It's kind of sketch since we don't know yet to what extent Windows or apps would use TPM. Would governments be able to link your online activity to your system with it? A browser would have to broker this information, so Tor could easily bypass this. But what about native apps, like Discord? So many new conspiracies! Haha

i think my motherboard does have tpm but i remember bending the pin on it while assembly..
now no win 11 for me. :(

will migrate to it after one year of launch , till than happy troubleshooting.

Good thing about it

direct storage
Nadella guiding them and making them understand that they are bunch of good /great software developing organization and overcame Microsoft only platform .Allowing Linux was great eventually i had a hunch that the main purpose of linux was to Pullin android apps as well.

Power users will always miss the simplicity of traditional start menu and simple ui , new ui looks good , but adds additional bullshits steps just to look good.Just checking the properties of network adapter and going to control panel or add or remove program is made so lengthy.

they should outright give an option of traditional Ui with modern look or the fancy things.

New windows 11 , might make network security guys life difficult , what to allow and what not .

My machine is almost 15 y.o. I wonder if this is an indirect message from Microsoft to upgrade my system. I genuinely don't feel this need to upgrade but Microsoft doesn't agree with me.
Also my laptop has intel 7th gen. Maybe they can release a tweaked version which can run on older machines

Back