windows 7 in 2009, says Gates

hatter

Skilled
co-founder Bill Gates said on Friday he expected the new version of Windows operating software, code-named Windows 7, to be released "sometime in the next year or so"... Microsoft has said it expected to release a new version of Windows approximately 3 years after the introduction of Vista in January 2007. A company spokeswoman said Gates' comments are in line with a development cycle that usually releases a test version of the software before its official introduction.

:S

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-microsoft-windows-gates.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

If it's true, that Win7 would come in '09... then it looks like they are trying to make it look as if Vista never happened... :rofl:

what i am hoping for , is that they drop 32 bit and go 64 bit only. plus, they should drop backward compat and support only XP (apps/games) onwards (Win32/.NET APIs etc)... :)

Microsoft has dropped two strong hints in the past two days that the next version of its Windows operating system will arrive in 2009, shaving up to a year off previous expectations. It could also be a signal that Microsoft intends to cut its losses with Windows Vista, which has been poorly received or shunned by customers, especially large companies.

Responding to criticism that Windows has become unnecessarily bloated, the company has 200 engineers developing a slimmed-down kernel called MinWin that uses 100 files and 25MB, compared to Vista's 5,000 files and 4GB core and is so small it lacks a graphical sub-system.

The least-loved version of Windows has long been Windows Millennium Edition (ME), a buggy minor upgrade that was superseded by XP within a year of its release. Despite its far greater - some would say, too great - technical ambition, Vista may end up lumped together with ME as one of the blips on Windows' long-term roadmap.

Source & Full Story @ PC World

hehe...lol...wrong title for the thread :p

i knew its not a news but wanted you ppl to read that article @ pcworld.

anyway, merged both threads now. :lol:

^like how??

From wat i can fathom, Minwin is an approach towards a modular operating system, something which will allow users to select wat they want to install..

This will also allow ms, to allow corporates to make thier own sku's..

Minwin is not everything..it wont be magicla 30 mb of code that will be better than vista..
it will be huge too.jus that the architecture is changing..and somethings hav been thrown out of the kernel..

Good.

Vista was/is ****ing useless. I hope they go the way Apple did with OS X and dump support for all the legacy hardware and software.

Party Monger said:
^like how??

From wat i can fathom, Minwin is an approach towards a modular operating system, something which will allow users to select wat they want to install..

This will also allow ms, to allow corporates to make thier own sku's..

Minwin is not everything..it wont be magicla 30 mb of code that will be better than vista..

it will be huge too.jus that the architecture is changing..and somethings hav been thrown out of the kernel..

MinWin has nothing to do with letting users select what they want to install. If you listened to the talk he specifically mentioned that it won't be a product. MS does have a way to let users specify what they want to install. If you want to see it, I advise trying out Windows Server 2008. It is built into the architecture of Vista - a new component technology.

MinWin will be useful to MS for supporting some of the new wave of devices, but the simple fact is, even if Vista was built on MinWin, it wouldn't change a damned thing from your point of view. People think that the lack of MinWin has hurt Vista, but it was never the kernel + core that held it back.

Back