Windows 8 - Feedback thread

I am always getting the login screen whenever my laptop wakes up from sleep. Did you try pressing the power button to put your system to sleep and then when it wakes up check if you are asked for password.
Are you sure that the laptop was in sleep mode? I am asking this as there is an option to change what happens when you close the lid of your laptop, and for me I had selected "Do Nothing" .

I have choosen "sleep" when close the lid.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 143
In win 8 my scanner is splitting the document i want to scan in 3-4 pieces & not a single image file , i am scanning through windows default scanning software, any one else face this ?

Guys, is there no way I can get back the redial option for dial-up connections? Really at a loss as to what to do since my MTNL dongle disconnects frequently. Its affecting my download rep.

Upgraded from XP to Windows 8. All the drivers are installed. but no sound output from Asus Xonar essence sound card.
I could not find the driver Windows 8 in Asus site. Any body is having the same sound card on Windows 8 ?

Success. Infact the front panel switching is the issue. I connected to back panel (directly to the card) and its working fine. I guess I need to put some patch for fron panel switching.

Success. Infact the front panel switching is the issue. I connected to back panel (directly to the card) and its working fine. I guess I need to put some patch for fron panel switching.

I have the exact same issue. Tried updating drives, but still the front panel Audio out wont work. Strangely, Win8 outputs the audio as HDMI 5.1 !

- - - Updated - - -

what method did you'll use to make the bootable win8 pendrive? win 7 usb tool is not working for me

If your win7/98 is not regitered it will not upgrade to Win 8. You will need to overwrite the existing OS. Press the F8 key with the USB drive plugged into the system, it will then give you options to load either your exiting OS or Win 8 from USB. Then, select custom configuration option when prompted, and select the drive where you want to install it. I just wanted to overwrite my exiting Os, so did it C: Drive. You can try a different Drive for dual boot.

so after using it for around 2 months do you guys think its worth upgrading to win8? is it better than win7 overall?

I just bought it for 699. It started downloading but i paused it. Will it resume downloading if i close it now and start at night? Will do this for 2-3 nights since i have fup on day but free for night usage.

so after using it for around 2 months do you guys think its worth upgrading to win8? is it better than win7 overall?

I just bought it for 699. It started downloading but i paused it. Will it resume downloading if i close it now and start at night? Will do this for 2-3 nights since i have fup on day but free for night usage.

Yes,I will any day opt for windows 8 over windows 7 though it needs compatibility over some apps available in the market
Nothing really changes for me,just the cosmetic feel is little overwhelming than windows 7
Running it on my Sony Vaio atm

Guys I am thinking to upgrade to Windows 8. I want to know what are some serious drawbacks of Windows 8 and also what are some features of 7 I will be missing in Windows 8 ?

I read somewhere that we can disable metro & have start menu back.

But my friend was saying Win 8 does not options to minimize apps. Is it true ?

I really want to know what all drawbacks it has since I have a hackintosh laptop & it would take a lot of time to reset back everything. Thank you :)

i paused it. Will it resume downloading if i close it now and start at night? Will do this for 2-3 nights since i have fup on day but free for night usage.
Depends where you are downloading from, if you are downloading from MS servers and with download managers then it'll resume the download.
Guys I am thinking to upgrade to Windows 8. I want to know what are some serious drawbacks of Windows 8 and also what are some features of 7 I will be missing in Windows 8 ?
1) I read somewhere that we can disable metro & have start menu back.
2) But my friend was saying Win 8 does not options to minimize apps. Is it true ?
I really want to know what all drawbacks it has since I have a hackintosh laptop & it would take a lot of time to reset back everything. Thank you :)
avi, What I feel as drawback is that win 8 no more allows you to shadow copy volumes in the same partition (unlike win 7), you need to have a separate HDD (Separate Partition on the same HDD will not work) for that. other than that I didn't feel anything lacking.

1) Yes, you can disable win 8 modern UI (it's not called metro anymore) and you can have start menu back through some freewares and paid (Stardock Start8 is best for $5) but frankly speaking you'll enjoy start screen once you get used to it, so try it bare bones for the first few days.

2) You can minimize all the normal apps like your win 8 explorer, MS word, excel, photoshop (you know what I mean) but the win 8 native apps which you download from appstore can only run in full screen and cannot be minimized.

please post if you want to know anything else (just tag me)...

Please also check for the availability of all the drivers for your hardware (specially assembled desktop) that may be a problem after installing win 8

it got downloaded in about 3-4 hours, while i was fast asleep. it seems to have copied files in two locations on hdd. 1 - a hidden folder ESD (2.5+GB) on root of c drive and other folder in temp around 100MB. No way to keep backup of the downloaded files. Everything's here and there. Some contain backups of win7 application settings, game stats, etc.

Depends where you are downloading from, if you are downloading from MS servers and with download managers then it'll resume the download.

avi, What I feel as drawback is that win 8 no more allows you to shadow copy volumes in the same partition (unlike win 7), you need to have a separate HDD (Separate Partition on the same HDD will not work) for that. other than that I didn't feel anything lacking.

1) Yes, you can disable win 8 modern UI (it's not called metro anymore) and you can have start menu back through some freewares and paid (Stardock Start8 is best for $5) but frankly speaking you'll enjoy start screen once you get used to it, so try it bare bones for the first few days.

2) You can minimize all the normal apps like your win 8 explorer, MS word, excel, photoshop (you know what I mean) but the win 8 native apps which you download from appstore can only run in full screen and cannot be minimized.

please post if you want to know anything else (just tag me)...

Please also check for the availability of all the drivers for your hardware (specially assembled desktop) that may be a problem after installing win 8
Thank you very much for replying !

I have never used Shadow copy, so I am okay with that.

I have checked the compatibility by W8 Upgrade Assistant. It just reported one or two software need to be updated, rest was fine. So I can use the same drivers which I used for Win 7 or do I need to download them again ?

Also is there any way to take back up of my current Win 7 [Documents & Programs] and use that in Win 8 ??

Thank you very much for replying !

I have never used Shadow copy, so I am okay with that.

I have checked the compatibility by W8 Upgrade Assistant. It just reported one or two software need to be updated, rest was fine. So I can use the same drivers which I used for Win 7 or do I need to download them again ?

Also is there any way to take back up of my current Win 7 [Documents & Programs] and use that in Win 8 ??

Most of the drivers work with win 8 already and the rest of them are getting patch updates.

There might be a few which may not be compatible at all which u will have to uninstall and get the compatible versions from respective sites.

To make it fool proof, I would advice you to get hold of the latest versions of all your drivers before upgrading to win 8. Better to do the homework well ahead rather than waiting for the problems.

I hate windows 8. I just cannot log in to any of my two local accounts with the correct password on the first try. After putting the same password a billion times it lets me log in. Like all of a sudden the till now incorrect password became correct. Damn waste of money. Feel like punching the log in screen.

Most of the drivers work with win 8 already and the rest of them are getting patch updates.

There might be a few which may not be compatible at all which u will have to uninstall and get the compatible versions from respective sites.

To make it fool proof, I would advice you to get hold of the latest versions of all your drivers before upgrading to win 8. Better to do the homework well ahead rather than waiting for the problems.
That's what I was trying to avoid :-/

Anyways will download them...

I hate windows 8. I just cannot log in to any of my two local accounts with the correct password on the first try. After putting the same password a billion times it lets me log in. Like all of a sudden the till now incorrect password became correct. Damn waste of money. Feel like punching the log in screen.
It's angry. Did you do anything ? :p

Back