Windows 8 - Feedback thread

Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro is $40 electronically, boxed version of the same is $70 under offer till Jan 2013. Not sure about India pricing but it should be about Rs. 3k for the boxed version. If you bought a Windows 7 PC since June you will get it for $15, that has been confirmed in India as Rs. 650. Apparently there is no "full retail" version, instead there will be a System Builder kit for the few assembling their own PCs. That is $99 for Windows 8 and $139 for Windows 8 Pro.

Yep, good post @Sub ... by the way, it's not too hard to do a bing.com search to get the full list of nifty keyboard shortcuts :p (notice how i didn't say "google it"!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ve started using classic Shell for start button, now my Win+Tab isnt working, which was really useful!
Metro is ok but am mostly on the desktop!
Probably will use metro as a start point for my most important games/apps launcher :p

No issues till now, It uses very less ram, even less than Win7. But some times, apps take a long time to load up mostly IE, which when used in Full screen mode on the metro is awesome! :D

Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro is $40 electronically, boxed version of the same is $70 under offer till Jan 2013. Not sure about India pricing but it should be about Rs. 3k for the boxed version. If you bought a Windows 7 PC since June you will get it for $15, that has been confirmed in India as Rs. 650. Apparently there is no "full retail" version, instead there will be a System Builder kit for the few assembling their own PCs. That is $99 for Windows 8 and $139 for Windows 8 Pro.
so system builder kit is like W7 OEM edition. We can only inctall it on 1 pc. if we upgrade or want to install on a diff. computer then?

They have said before that they will add more networks to Messaging app but as of now only works with MSN and Facebook. I am sure Google will be coming next, hopefully in a few weeks time.

There's an app called IM+ in Windows Store though which can connect to every IM service imaginable. So far it doesn't feature Metro Snap (an awesome feature btw) like Messaging but hopefully soon.

so system builder kit is like W7 OEM edition. We can only inctall it on 1 pc. if we upgrade or want to install on a diff. computer then?
Sent from my GT-I8350 using Board Express

I had a short stint with the Windows 8 yesterday and to be honest I am not liking it. Would be installing windows 7 after using it for couple of more days.

The metro UI feels out of place. It is NOT meant for desktop application. All the time I was having a feeling that I am running a lousy tablet port on my desktop. Performance is good but where is the usability ?

Also the whole is so tightly integrated with the live id, I feel uncomfortable handing over my PC to the other members in my family. Even the stand alone version looks rather too dependent on the internet.

Not that I am not liking the new look a bit, its that they pushed the things too far. Its a complete paradigm shift for users who have been using same old interface from last 10 years and their expectations as well are aligned with the same old UI. May be they could have followed a middle way.

To me its good but my mother and my wife would have a hard time understanding all those context specific dynamic menus. The UI sure needs quite a big learning effort.

Overall I am not impressed much and would still stick to good old Windows 7. May be I'll try the Windows 8.1, if that comes with some smoothed interface.

i found out an link : " Fix8 app to reinstall the Windows Start button/menu and bypass Metro on bootup. "
Fix8

... but hope this may help be helpful to others.

I had a short stint with the Windows 8 yesterday and to be honest I am not liking it. Would be installing windows 7 after using it for couple of more days.

The metro UI feels out of place. It is NOT meant for desktop application. All the time I was having a feeling that I am running a lousy tablet port on my desktop. Performance is good but where is the usability ?

Also the whole is so tightly integrated with the live id, I feel uncomfortable handing over my PC to the other members in my family. Even the stand alone version looks rather too dependent on the internet.

Not that I am not liking the new look a bit, its that they pushed the things too far. Its a complete paradigm shift for users who have been using same old interface from last 10 years and their expectations as well are aligned with the same old UI. May be they could have followed a middle way.

To me its good but my mother and my wife would have a hard time understanding all those context specific dynamic menus. The UI sure needs quite a big learning effort.

Overall I am not impressed much and would still stick to good old Windows 7. May be I'll try the Windows 8.1, if that comes with some smoothed interface.
Why use the metro UI , I am using sourceforge start menu and very happy with it . And yes the live id is a real issue . You cannot handover pc to anyone else

Why use the metro UI , I am using sourceforge start menu and very happy with it . And yes the live id is a real issue . You cannot handover pc to anyone else
You can disable login through live ID in user managment settings, then it won't ask for login. I just prefer to keep a BIOS boot password.

Back