Windows 8 - Feedback thread

Right, so if it means "close to zero" can I consider it equal to zero? Thus "infinitesimal times" would translate to "2000 x 0"... and what does that calculation's result? :p

You could argue that I left in the word "less" when copying the line, but then you'll just be nitpicking :D

I had recently purchased a hp laptop with genuine windows 7. Now i want to ask that whether the Rs. 699 upgrade of Windows 8 can be installed on some other pc or is it locked to the new system only.

Electronic upgrade still doesn't work ("Not yet available in your region") and there's absolutely no news of retail copies. Flipkart sales rep has no clue about the existence of Windows 8. They are really trying to push me to piracy...

Okay guys now I have one big question for you all here: With the 699 update for windows 8 do we get an OEM version of windows 8? or does it just update my current windows 7 to 8? and will I be able install windows 8 on another partition? I clearly have no idea about what this 699 offer does and how does it work. Will pay the amount once I get a clear idea.

It is Rs. 699 only for Windows 7 PCs bought since June. For everyone else currently running Windows XP, Vista or 7 it is Rs. 1999.

The way it works is you run the Upgrade Assistant, they check everything, give you a key and download to ISO. You can then use the ISO to do a clean install wherever you want, including a different partition. Or you can upgrade from Windows 7 and keep all your apps and files, your choice. Important thing is your key, without that you can't install Windows 8. (Unlike previous versions which had a 30 day trial period)

It is not working in India yet, but hopefully soon.

It is Rs. 699 only for Windows 7 PCs bought since June. For everyone else currently running Windows XP, Vista or 7 it is Rs. 1999.

The way it works is you run the Upgrade Assistant, they check everything, give you a key and download to ISO. You can then use the ISO to do a clean install wherever you want, including a different partition. Or you can upgrade from Windows 7 and keep all your apps and files, your choice. Important thing is your key, without that you can't install Windows 8. (Unlike previous versions which had a 30 day trial period)

It is not working in India yet, but hopefully soon.
I have a few question for you:
How do you know all of this? Have you already upgraded?
What makes you think that this offer is not working in India? I mean are you sure?
Do we get a proper OEM kind of licence which works just on the PC that we have signed for this offer?
You sure that we can you it on another partition and be able to dual boot?

I can't say I have first hand experience, but it seems unanimous from reports across many tech forums. If you want to be safe, you can wait a while for more confirmation. Paul Thurrott on Winsupersite.com should have a detailed article on it today.

What happens now is that I run the Upgrade Assistant, it gives the green light and everything, but when I go to purchase it, it says "Not available yet in your region". But that is for the Rs. 1999 offer, apparently the Rs. 699 offer is working fine. (Again, it is not first hand info so I can't vouch for it)

Just installed it and it feels awesome .Some things like start screen are definitely are not made for pc users and it will feel better on using touch screen.The boot process is very fast and my system starts up in merely in 8 secs and i am just loving it .Addition of apps store is very nice ,Highly recommended and just exploring other nice features and will update more +features soon :)

I got an email email to upgrade my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 8 for Rs.699/-.

They have sent me a promo code also.

As of now, I do not want to upgrade.

Should I buy it in case I want to upgrade it later just for the sake of legitimate upgrade.

Otherwise, I have Windows 8 keys, thanks to the other thread on TE.
tongue.png

Downloaded the upgrade for 699/- even though the laptop is year old :ashamed: When u visit the upgrade offer website it just asks u the make, model and the purchase date. Just fill in anything from june -12 ... They emailed the promo code and also have a product key. The upgrade assistant took more than 7 hours to download 2.63GB of ISO.. May be an issue with the server. Once the download is completed it gives you the option to save the iso or do an upgrade later.

Regarding the OEM check this link : Is it possible upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows XP/Vista/7 OEM? - Super User

Also one can do a clean install with the ISO : Windows 8 review: Installing and upgrading | Operating systems Reviews | TechRadar

Downloaded the upgrade for 699/- even though the laptop is year old :ashamed: When u visit the upgrade offer website it just asks u the make, model and the purchase date. Just fill in anything from june -12 ... They emailed the promo code and also have a product key. The upgrade assistant took more than 7 hours to download 2.63GB of ISO.. May be an issue with the server. Once the download is completed it gives you the option to save the iso or do an upgrade later.

Regarding the OEM check this link : Is it possible upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows XP/Vista/7 OEM? - Super User

Also one can do a clean install with the ISO : Windows 8 review: Installing and upgrading | Operating systems Reviews | TechRadar

Just to confirm, i went with this and was able to score windows 8 pro key for $15 even though my windows 7 is from last year. Btw, the upgrade key can also be used to do a clean install if you check the work arounds. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I had recently purchased a hp laptop with genuine windows 7. Now i want to ask that whether the Rs. 699 upgrade of Windows 8 can be installed on some other pc or is it locked to the new system only.

Just dont install it on the HP laptop and you can install it on another PC.

Just installed it and it feels awesome .Some things like start screen are definitely are not made for pc users and it will feel better on using touch screen.The boot process is very fast and my system starts up in merely in 8 secs and i am just loving it .Addition of apps store is very nice ,Highly recommended and just exploring other nice features and will update more +features soon :)

I believe the two of you have succesfully installed Windows 8 using the 699 offer, by paying through credit card, am I right? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Please answer these questions of mine so that I can be clear if I want to purchase this offer or not:
Do we get a proper OEM kind of licence which works just on the PC that we have signed for this offer?
Do you get a proper iso file which can be mounted on a DVD or pen drive?
Can I have dual booting systmem, windows 7 and windows 8 also if I go for this offer?

I believe the two of you have succesfully installed Windows 8 using the 699 offer, by paying through credit card, am I right? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Please answer these questions of mine so that I can be clear if I want to purchase this offer or not:
Can I have dual booting systmem, windows 7 and windows 8 also if I go for this offer?

We get a Retail upgrade license.
Yes, we get an option to save it as a proper ISO or save it as an installer on USB.
I believe that is also an option as in dual boot but you may need to google up on it.

Well i dont think google is needed because if i can makw an iso or if iam getting an iso for installation then i believe i should be able to use two os on my laptop.

Well i dont think google is needed because if i can makw an iso or if iam getting an iso for installation then i believe i should be able to use two os on my laptop.

I am just talking about the installation options to be given if you needed a dual boot.

1. Paid by credit card
2. You get a proper product key to use for a clean install.
3. Since you have the product key u can install it on PC ( I guess it only for 1)
4. It is not locked to any PC till u install it
5. It gives u an option to save the ISO as well au get an option to prepare a USB drive for installation
6. Yes u can have dual boot ( have not tired ) but since u can do a clean boot it would be fairly simple to install windows 7 alongside

Back