Windows 8 - Feedback thread

can't pass the logon screen, everytime after entering the password the screen turns black, tried to signout, got an error "LogonUI.exe has encountered an application error."
I was using win 8 enterprise x64

any solution?

I have win7 on my PC, i use it for gaming.
And I have Dell Inspiron 15r, which has win8. And trust me win8 sucks.

Every other day win8 has some problems. Till now I have refreshed my laptop now 3 times since I bought it, 1month old laptop. No hardware issue.
Most of the time i face BLACK SCREEN issue b4 login screen. Only good point abt Win8 is 10sec start up.
But half of the time its stuck in BLACK SCREEN.

Windows 8 is giving me activation problems now. I had bought that upgrade key in the promo offer and it won't activate now.

What happened is I used the reset feature in windows 8 to reset the pc. The os reset even the activation status. Keeps asking me to activate over phone. Tried phone number and had to enter some 54 digits. The ivr made me wait 2 minutes and disconnected the line saying some technical problem was there.

Searched online and some people on Microsoft support says since its upgrade key, you can only upgrade and activate. So I installed windows 7 and used USB to upgrade to 8. Same technical error on phone while trying to activate.

Please don't use the reset feature anyone. Just use the refresh feature if required.

For a long time windows 8 is giving me a hard time, So i downgrade to windows 7. Windows 8 is very good in many way, but after installing and uses for 20 to 25days, it's stuck on the logon page and after half hour taken by logon page it will show the desktop page. So i said sorry to windows 8 and back to windows 7.

In some time i think RAM issue or CPU cooling issue, But when i downgrade to win 7, there is no issue i have find out till yet and i'm happy with my current OS.:D

I installed windows 8 on my 3 year old vaio in dual boot with win7. Everythings fine but cant adjust brightness it says unavailable. plz help me.

I just purchased a new sony vaio. model no SVF14212SNW. It came with Win8 preinstalled. I was hoping that win 8 would be lighter on the resources but to my amusement, I found that the laptop takes around 45seconds to boot. Then I managed to remove all the malware installed by sony and still the boot times are not low.

The new UI is totally confusing and it took a while for me to get used to it. they totally ruined the experience. win 8 is a big thumbs down from me.

On resuming from sleep or hibernate, my screen remains black (not even BIOS) though the keyboard and mouse lights come on. I press the Restart button and it will restart again (in the correct state as it was earlier). Has anyone encountered the same?

no but I suspect it must have something do with the bios power settings or at worst case scenarios you might need to update the motherboard bios.

no but I suspect it must have something do with the bios power settings or at worst case scenarios you might need to update the motherboard bios.

It's quite strange honestly. It is working properly since Friday so my investigation is on hold. Let's see.

I can't find any suitable thread to ask this ques, What is this stuff ? How these works ? Is it genuine ?

64 bit
http://www.flipkart.com/microsoft-s...DGAF&ref=5bb710ee-5eb2-4fc0-8025-38d52e3bfe87

32 bit
http://www.flipkart.com/microsoft-s...UGEJ&ref=5bb710ee-5eb2-4fc0-8025-38d52e3bfe87

FK (WS Retail) still now selling only upgrade pack which looks genuine but now this new seller 'OnlinKing' listed this products.

SL stands for Single License. It's the same as other versions, but you can only use the language it comes with. Yes, it is genuine.

For more info, go here: http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

People with black screen issue before login, make sure to have all the latest updates installed. I strongly suspect people who are having this issue have'nt updated their OS.
I had this black screen issue initially but it vanished after a few weeks. Now everything works perfect.
Right after you install windows 8, install all updates. It ll take some time as there are a lot of updates available.

I can't find any suitable thread to ask this ques, What is this stuff ? How these works ? Is it genuine ?

64 bit
http://www.flipkart.com/microsoft-s...DGAF&ref=5bb710ee-5eb2-4fc0-8025-38d52e3bfe87

32 bit
http://www.flipkart.com/microsoft-s...UGEJ&ref=5bb710ee-5eb2-4fc0-8025-38d52e3bfe87

FK (WS Retail) still now selling only upgrade pack which looks genuine but now this new seller 'OnlinKing' listed this products.
From what i understand, there are just 2 versions of Win 8 .. The Upgrade version and OEM version. The first one is for people who have previous versions of windows and the second is for people who want a fresh install OS.

I saw 2 versions on fk, the one you linked to seem to be the oEM version and there is one other which is labeled 'Normal Edition' which i suspect is the upgrade version.

Is it genuine ? That question can only be answered by flipkart, since they host the seller. They have become more like ebay now.[DOUBLEPOST=1378393792][/DOUBLEPOST]
============================================================================
Is anybody here using iTunes on Windows 8 ? iTunes for previous versions of the OS was really bad, but i need it now and am looking to install it on 8.

Last edited:
From what i understand, there are just 2 versions of Win 8 .. The Upgrade version and OEM version. The first one is for people who have previous versions of windows and the second is for people who want a fresh install OS.

I saw 2 versions on fk, the one you linked to seem to be the oEM version and there is one other which is labeled 'Normal Edition' which i suspect is the upgrade version.

Is it genuine ? That question can only be answered by flipkart, since they host the seller. They have become more like ebay now.[DOUBLEPOST=1378393792][/DOUBLEPOST]

Now it will confuse many new buyers who just recently visit FK and looking for Win 8
Yes, you are right....Upgrade Version now listed as Normal Edition, but the point it is costlier than OEM version.

So What is OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version means ? Is it mean that user can do a fresh install in a newly assembled PC or Laptop which comes with NO OS ? How well activation steps go ? What are the prerequisite/limitation of OEM to use ? there must be something or else why the price is lower than upgrade edition

Next Question :
Isn't the upgrade version normally priced lower than fresh install version a.k.a retail version ?

Now it will confuse many new buyers who just recently visit FK and looking for Win 8
When i bought my copy of wndows 8 from fk i had phoned them up to clarify about the version ... funny thing was they had no idea what version it was. I think they named it normal edition without understanding what version it really is

So What is OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version means ? Is it mean that user can do a fresh install in a newly assembled PC or Laptop which comes with NO OS ? How well activation steps go ? What are the prerequisite/limitation of OEM to use ? there must be something or else why the price is lower than upgrade edition
OEM version was originally meant for PC assemblers who custom assembled desktop PC for home users or laptop vendors. OEM versions were ineligible for support from Microsoft personnel and the installation was tied to your motherboard. You could install (and reinstall) it to one PC only. If your motherboard went kaput, you would have to get a new copy.

With previous versions of windows there were 3 versions
1. Upgrade versions for people with previous versions of the os
2. OEM for assemblers of PC
3. Retail versions for end users

Currently

1. There is no retail version for windows 8
2. 2 OEM versions have been released one is the normal one for assemblers and the other is for end users and its called 'OEM personal use license'
3. There are workarounds to install a fresh copy of windows 8 with an upgrade version

Logically Upgrade version should be cheaper than OEM abd OEM cheaper than retail version

// Just checked Amazon US . Upgrade version is 10$ cheaper than OEM.

So the seller on Flipkart is marketing the upgrade version as 'normal edition' with full knowledge that there are work arounds to do a fresh install and it should have been priced lower than the OEM version

Last edited:

============================================================================
Is anybody here using iTunes on Windows 8 ? iTunes for previous versions of the OS was really bad, but i need it now and am looking to install it on 8.

try some iTunes alternatives.

64 bit

32 bit

Why not buy windows 8 upgraded (windows 8.1)

Try it before you buy:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-iso

Back