Windows 8 Preview

arun687

Skilled
Today, at the D9 Conference, we demonstrated the next generation of Windows, internally code-named “Windows 8,” for the first time. Windows 8 is a reimagining of Windows, from the chip to the interface. A Windows 8-based PC is really a new kind of device, one that scales from touch-only small screens through to large screens, with or without a keyboard and mouse.

The demo showed some of the ways we’ve reimagined the interface for a new generation of touch-centric hardware. Fast, fluid and dynamic, the experience has been transformed while keeping the power, flexibility and connectivity of Windows intact.

Here are a few aspects of the new interface we showed today:•
Fast launching of apps from a tile-based Start screen, which replaces the Windows Start menu with a customizable, scalable full-screen view of apps.
•
Live tiles with notifications, showing always up-to-date information from your apps.
•
Fluid, natural switching between running apps.
•
Convenient ability to snap and resize an app to the side of the screen, so you can really multitask using the capabilities of Windows.
•
Web-connected and Web-powered apps built using HTML5 and JavaScript that have access to the full power of the PC.
•
Fully touch-optimized browsing, with all the power of hardware-accelerated Internet Explorer 10.

Full press release here

Analysing Microsoft's Windows 8 preview

The tile based UI in WP 7 is coming to Windows 8 as well. Seems it should work really well for tablets. IMO, this will also unify the Windows experience across a range of devices that will run Windows.

No matter how they change the UI people will force themselves to use it because it's Windows.

Edit : I hope they come up with a new filesystem

I am using this awesome rainmeter skin which resembles the new UI. Not only does it look great but is very very useful.

mtnw50.jpg

Seems like Windows 8 is aiming at giving the end user more functionality which is great.

Bluffmaster said:
I am using this awesome rainmeter skin which resembles the new UI. Not only does it look great but is very very useful.

mtnw50.jpg

Seems like Windows 8 is aiming at giving the end user more functionality which is great.

Name of skin please??

Bluffmaster said:

mtnw50.jpg

How do I get this, tell us I'm craving for it.

Very simple ..........

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Current desktop:

Rainmeter2.1 using Omnimo 3.1 WP7 skin with HTC UI overlay

Rocketdock 1.3.5 using Lucid White icon pack and Simple Dark theme

Sticky Notes for Windows

Still in the process of moving all icons to Rocketdock from desktop :D

Aman27deep said:
Am i the only one who likes a simple desktop with no fanciness?
I have been using a simple desktop since 2 years. Time for change!!!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Anubis said:
Very simple ..........

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Current desktop:

Rainmeter2.1 using Omnimo 3.1 WP7 skin with HTC UI overlay
Rocketdock 1.3.5 using Lucid White icon pack and Simple Dark theme
Sticky Notes for Windows
Still in the process of moving all icons to Rocketdock from desktop :D
One last question, with Omnimo I get blue backgrounded icons.

Where do I get the GTC UI overlay if that makes it all transparent?

Okay, I'm working on my desktop, will post final screenie.

What image hosting service should I use to be able to post direct screenie?

I use TPU but some mods don't know it's a image hosting service and keep serving me warnings.

Back