Wireless connectivity help..!

intelfanboy

Disciple
I have an Dlink Dsl 2730 (router+ modem) with me..,it has been serving me well for 2 years now(touchwood)..,
Now i am shifting my desktop computer to another room and can't provide an Ethernet cable there ...
So i am looking for an wifi dongle or an wifi card that enables my desktop computer to connect to an wifi network. Is there anything as such ? What do you guys recommend ? How much would it's price be ?

I would also like to switchover to a new modem+router , preferably it should have greater range and no signal/connectivity drops ? Please make a suggestion ....

A Sony HX950(tv) and a laptop, a mobile phone will be used ..kindly make suggestions with these things in mind

Indicate how far the pc will be from the router and how many walls (their thickness) in between.

Do the same with tv, laptop & mobile phone.

The computer would be positioned at approximately about 9f. away from the router., the phone will be at the max 30 ft , and the tv is an other 25ft away..
The walls are around a feet thick.
I don't wanna compromise a lot on the speed !

Also i have Hp all in one 3050 inkjet printer..,it has an wireless option in it..how do i make use of it?
Does it mean i can place the printer and computer away(no wired connections) and give a print command and the file is automatically printed ?
How do i setup the printer ?

What WiFi card / dongle should i buy for the desktop computer ?
Which wifi(router+modem,preferably with dual antennae )should i buy?

Kindly voice your views and recommendations , i am going to make the purchase tomorrow !!

The computer would be positioned at approximately about 9f. away from the router., the phone will be at the max 30 ft , and the tv is an other 25ft away..
The walls are around a feet thick.
I don't wanna compromise a lot on the speed !
How many walls are in between
- router & tv. Tv i take it is just for internet access and nothing more.
- phone & router
- laptop & router

Are tv & phone both 'n' or 'g' ?

How far away is the printer and how many walls in between ?

Also i have Hp all in one 3050 inkjet printer..,it has an wireless option in it..how do i make use of it?
Does it mean i can place the printer and computer away(no wired connections) and give a print command and the file is automatically printed ?
Once its setup & configured, yes.

I would also like to switchover to a new modem+router , preferably it should have greater range and no signal/connectivity drops ? Please make a suggestion ....
How many hours is the modem online per day ? all the time or only few hours.

There are walls between the router and tv , the same lies for the printer too.

As far as the mobile phone and laptop is concerned a maximum of 3 walls are present.

The mobile phone and tv are both b/g/n rated...

For additional reference, the signal of my Dlink 2730u modem + router reaches upto the second floor

what model router should i go for ?
I rather prefer a adsl modem + router combo .
Which brand and model of pci-e wifi card should i buy ?

The total budget is 4k. The purcase will be made tomorrow.
Kindly reply and please do suggest only quality stuff, that'l last for another 3 years or so ..

Not very well, gets disconnected sometimes.
I leave the modem on 24 x 7
There are no walls between the printer ,TV and the router as they are placed in the hall.

It was a typo, thanks for being patient blr__p .

if you want a new router then:

any N300 series wi-fi router will take of your needs. if you hop around floors then get an N600... if you want to provide free internet to your colony, get an N900 :)

costly routers (>4000) will give you extra features such as setting up multiple wireless accounts, bandwidth allocation, wireless repeater function, various access control functions, etc.

in all probability, the N series router will be backward compatible with your older stuff. so, no need to think about which device is a 'b' and which one 'g'. also, you can verify it on the router box. and get a wi-fi card for your desktop... i guess, i got one for Rs 450 years back.

Not very well, gets disconnected sometimes.
As i expected, 3 walls and 30 feet for a cellphone is just too much. This is why you asked for greater range and less connectivity drops.

And you also have a laptop with 3 walls in between, how well did it work, slightly better but not more ?

This is going to be an issue even with a new router given the 3 walls.

desktop, tv & printer will be ok. What about cellphone & laptop ?

To serve everybody with one router you will have to reposition your router so there are fewer walls to the cellphone & laptop. Or get a repeater. Or if there is the possibility use a wire to connect the new router to the old d-link setup as an access point.

You did not mention what you do with the TV, is it just internet access or more.

What speed is your internet connection btw.

I leave the modem on 24 x 7
Then its better to seperate modem & router.

Think modem+ wifi router instead of all in one.

Modem gives problem in the future you just replace it and hold onto the wifi router, otherwise you have to replace the entire unit.

There are no walls between the printer ,TV and the router as they are placed in the hall.

I went ahead and got a 2750u , planning to use the 2730u as an repeater.

Is that possible? How to go about it?

What for is the USB port on the 2750u?

The TV is for dlna and video streaming.

Sorry for the late reply.

I went ahead and got a 2750u , planning to use the 2730u as an repeater.

Is that possible? How to go about it?
The manual for the 2730u or 2750u does not indicate whether it can be used as a repeater.

What for is the USB port on the 2750u?
The same thing it does on a modem-router, provide an additional way to hook up a computer to the net using USB instead of ethernet.

The TV is for dlna and video streaming.
Is the TV connected to the router via ethernet ?

Back