Wireless modem range of MTNL ?

rebolt

Disciple
I have just brought a ultrabook and wants to access internet on it. Although i have a workstation with a MTNL connection of 1MBPS already installed.

So should i opt for wireless modem facility of MTNL ? Also i need to ask how much is the range of wireless modems provided by MTNL ? Because if i install the wireless modem on one floor and take the laptop on another floor, can i access the internet ?

Any advice or recommendation will be appreciated.

I am an MTNL user with a wireless modem.
The Wireless Modem provided by MTNL has very low wireless Range.
Let alone another floor, It wont even cover your full house.

So I advice you to buy a branded wireless router.

Hope it helps.

Thanks pranav, can you suggest which branded wireless router would be good & price. As i already have a wired modem of MTNL, so i guess i have to replace that with the wireless router right ?

Yes you can replace your existing MTNL modem with a new Wireless modem, [Here, You can save up on the rent of Rs.50/ Month]
Or you can buy a wireless router and just connect it to your wired MTNL modem.

But according to my experience you should keep the MTNL modem because if in the near future if you face some problems then they simply avoid your complaint by saying that your modem is faulty[the branded one], this has happened with my friend a couple of times and this is just my experience.

I am using the MTNL's wireless modem, so I haven't faced such issues.

I dont know which exact model you can buy, but Netgear, D-Link, etc. are the brands to lookout for.

Hope this helps.

Yes you can replace your existing MTNL modem with a new Wireless modem, [Here, You can save up on the rent of Rs.50/ Month]
Or you can buy a wireless router and just connect it to your wired MTNL modem.

But according to my experience you should keep the MTNL modem because if in the near future if you face some problems then they simply avoid your complaint by saying that your modem is faulty[the branded one], this has happened with my friend a couple of times and this is just my experience.

I am using the MTNL's wireless modem, so I haven't faced such issues.

I dont know which exact model you can buy, but Netgear, D-Link, etc. are the brands to lookout for.

Hope this helps.

I guess this seems the right way. I am a totally newbie for the wireless technology. Can you specify difference between a router & modem ? Also as i am looking for a multilevel access for internet.

Just buy TP Link 740N router and connect it to your existing modem. Price is about 1050 online.

Thanks aditya, can you specify the range for this router ? Will it work for multilevel access ?

It does have a 5dbi antenna so the range would be better than most modem + router combos. But i havent used it myself so can't comment on whether it would work on multiple floors. This would also depend a lot on the layout of your house.

Back