Won a bid at ebay...ATRIX 2 at rs. 12190. Necessary advice needed !

bruno0123

Disciple
hey guys,

just won a bid at ebay for ATRIX 2 at USD$ 230 (Rs. 12190).

the phone is 2 months old in mind condition.
all the accessories the seller is giving are original manuals, comes with Motorola charger (removable USB cord), Motorola HDMI cord, and a shiny case. BUT NO EARPHONES (which he tells me didn't came with the phone).
And tells we can share the shipping cost of which i will have to pay $9 (Rs. 477) and the rest he would.

And the phone is AT&T locked which i told him to unlock for which he agreed.

The guy hold a feedback score of just 8(all positives) with no negatives feedback's .

Now the main thing is I have never ordered an item too expensive on net internationally (this would be my first).
I don't know should buy or not. kinda dicey about the deal need advise guys.
Should I go for it ?? :23:

Yes, but it is always suspicious when a seller refuses to unlock a used phone. I can understand if it is a brand new phone since he may not want to open the box or something.

Also, even though u don't need AT&T to unlock, your phone can be locked again remotely if it is reported stolen by the original owner. Check XDA for threads on this issue. Apparently, all indian operators have signed agreements with the US operators. So OTA locking can happen even if you are not on AT&T.

Not aware of this, link to xda thread please.
FWIW, have bought and unlocked an atrix2 from eBay. No issues.

I've bought four phones from the US and unlocked them. Have not had any problems. All of them were brand new though...

International buyers beware!!! - xda-developers

Please note:
1. That thread ONLY refers to the HTX One X. In particular, it mentions that ATT refurbished phones are being locked with no unlock code available for those "refurbished HTC One X" phones yet.

2. How does this confirm your earlier statement:
"even though u don't need AT&T to unlock, your phone can be locked again remotely if it is reported stolen by the original owner. Check XDA for threads on this issue. Apparently, all indian operators have signed agreements with the US operators. So OTA locking can happen even if you are not on AT&T."

Nothing here says that a phone can be relocked once unlocked :p

I have bought over 7-8 used phones off ebay and unlocked them, no issues. So long as the seller is trustworthy, you are good.

techie_007

Whoops, looks like i linked it to the wrong thread, here you go....

[Q] 'IMEI Locked' error...what is supposed to be done? - xda-developers

Adding the quote here as well...

all carriers share stolen IMEI numbers in a global list that is available for all carriers, around the world, to use.

In India, it is mandatory for carriers to honor the global block list because of terrorism concerns.

to the original poster - your phone is marked as stolen. The best way to deal with this is to contact AT&T, show them proof of purchase (Paypal receipt, etc.), show them the original craigslist posting, share identity documents like passport, etc. and request for unblocking. Once they have unblocked, then you will have to do the same with your local (Indian provider).

I don't want to scare you in to not buying the phone man, just informing you about the worst case scenarios...

techie_007

Whoops, looks like i linked it to the wrong thread, here you go....

[Q] 'IMEI Locked' error...what is supposed to be done? - xda-developers

Adding the quote here as well...

I don't want to scare you in to not buying the phone man, just informing you about the worst case scenarios...

Read the complete thread? It was a software glitch the guy had. Also, the person who wrote that statement gave no links or anything. I could write the opposite here and you can quote it on xda :-D

@techie_007

Hmmm i assumed it was true because of what happened with the iPhones which got relocked last year. Also, googling for the words AT&T stolen and relocking will display a few results which will say the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
@techie_007

Hmmm i assumed it was true because of what happened wihones which got relocked last year. Also, googling for the words AT&T stolen and relocking will display a few results which will say the same thing.

IPhone is different because stuff has to go through Apple servers. And yes, att can lock stolen phones, But that has nothing to do with them working on Indian carriers :) same with bad esn Verizon phones that will work on Indian networks.

If he has tried and couldn't unlock the phone then why are you buying it?

yeah I dropped the idea of buying the one i won.
talked to the seller he had no issues putting it up again for bidding.
better for me to buy a new one since flip kart lowered the price for a new one at rs. 18499.

Though I am new here at Techenclave but seriously you guys actually rock flooding me with all the important help and Info.
Means alot :bigok:

And soon i will be posting my 1st Android at the show-off column :yahoo:

@indy1811:

Read VERY carefully:
Earlier this year, all the major US carriers (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint) huddled up with the FCC to create a stolen phone database so that they could block any renegade devices. That effort has now gone live, according to the CTIA, as the majors -- along with Cellcom and Nex-Tech Wireless -- have just deployed their bad-lists. These will allow the operators to identify poached devices through IMEI codes and stymie their activation on networks. AT&T and T-Mobile will also be adding cellphones reported stolen in the GSMA Global IMEI database to their new lists, which should bring US efforts up to snuff with a similar, successful UK program, albeit five long years later[FONT=georgia, serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]What does it say?[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]1. All US carriers are on board, doesnt say anything about outside US.[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]2. Says they will add phones in the Global list to their lists. Lets say we also assume that they will add reported phones to the global list.[/FONT]
[FONT=georgia, serif]3. The global list is pretty much a similar UK-based effort: [/FONT]UK effectively blocking stolen phones -- Engadget

Now if you find me a line there that says an Indian carrier uses these lists to block any phones, we can talk, else this is a wasted post :)

Back