Windows Work Laptop shuts down even after putting to sleep

raksrules

Elite
I recently got a new work laptop which is Dell Latitude 3410. I have setup the power options to "never sleep" for the laptop, be it on battery or power. Also before ending day's work, I make sure I press the windows button -> Power Icon -> Sleep so machine goes to sleep. I expect next day to just open the lid and be presented with the lock screen and post logon, all open windows to be intact.

But what happens is that the laptop does a cold boot right and takes me to login screen as if I am logging in after restart / shutdown. Initially I suspected battery issue as in battery is getting drained very rapidly in sleep overnight but no, that is also not an issue. On turning on, battery level is almost full.

What is exactly the issue and how to fix it?

First, why do you want the laptop to be running all night as it drastically reduces the life of all internal components, biggest hit will be to battery.

If you still want the laptop to be always on, go to control panel - > Powe options - > change plan settings - > change advanced power settings. In new window that is open, go through all settings and adjust to your liking.

Sometimes, your comoany will override these to keep their laptops safe and run longer.

What action have you set under power settings particularly when closing the lid? I believe by default it is set for shut down.

You can try to reset the power settings plans by running powercfg –restoredefaultschemes on cmd.

First, why do you want the laptop to be running all night as it drastically reduces the life of all internal components, biggest hit will be to battery.

If you still want the laptop to be always on, go to control panel - > Powe options - > change plan settings - > change advanced power settings. In new window that is open, go through all settings and adjust to your liking.

Sometimes, your comoany will override these to keep their laptops safe and run longer.

I just want the open windows to stay intact so want it go on sleep but also, I don't think it consumes so much power in sleep.
What action have you set under power settings particularly when closing the lid? I believe by default it is set for shut down.

You can try to reset the power settings plans by running powercfg –restoredefaultschemes on cmd.

Closing Lid is set to sleep only.

I just want the open windows to stay intact so want it go on sleep but also, I don't think it consumes so much power in sleep.

Closing Lid is set to sleep only.
Setup hibernate and use that option then. My laptop goes into hibernate state and all windows remain when I open it in the morning.

I recently got a new work laptop which is Dell Latitude 3410. I have setup the power options to "never sleep" for the laptop, be it on battery or power. Also before ending day's work, I make sure I press the windows button -> Power Icon -> Sleep so machine goes to sleep. I expect next day to just open the lid and be presented with the lock screen and post logon, all open windows to be intact.

But what happens is that the laptop does a cold boot right and takes me to login screen as if I am logging in after restart / shutdown. Initially I suspected battery issue as in battery is getting drained very rapidly in sleep overnight but no, that is also not an issue. On turning on, battery level is almost full.

Welcome to windows..
I hate this behavior - and have done enough and more digging to try resolve this but no luck.

Apparently there is a non user modifiable threshold for battery loss in sleep (5%) which will trigger hibernation/shutdown
Unfortunately the bad ACPI management on windows coupled with the connected standby/modern standby on newer laptops means that this 5% threshold is crossed within just a few hours..

If you run powercfg /batteryreport on an elevated command line prompt, it will save a full report of the ACPI system on your machine..
In all likelihood, your machine will show as overriding your sleep preferences right at the point where the battery % drops by 5% from where it went to standby (\ say 89% to 84%)

Not really - Macs have been using standby on a near permanent basis for more than a decade now - and no one has any issues with component longevity due to that..
Once you get used to instant standby/resume, it is very difficult to revert to the cold start method or even hibernate->resume.

This is purely a software issue that has not been given adequate attention by MS

Last edited:
I keep my office laptop always on sleep and never shutdown or restart it unless absolutely necessary by a windows update or something similar.
Even right now the uptime is 34 days 19 hours. My battery lasts about 2-3 days on standby. So I can keep it on sleep on friday evening and resume on monday with 50% battery left.

As for your issue, seems like it doesn't go to sleep mode at all. Maybe a graphics driver issue? Try making sure all drivers are installed and up to date (not really but better).
You can also turn off hibernate if you have admin perms (in cmd): "powercfg -h off" (without double quotes) should do the trick.

Last edited:

In power options do these settings:

Disable turn of hard disk
Enable hybrid sleep
Disable Hibernation
Turn of display and Put to sleep can be any values

Now when system goes into sleep, power led will keep blinking or if you manually put it into sleep either by closing lip flap or otherwise, next time just lift the lid or press any key on keyboard you will be on user logon screen.

I keep my office laptop always on sleep and never shutdown or restart it unless absolutely necessary by a windows update or something similar.
Even right now the uptime is 34 days 19 hours. My battery lasts about 2-3 days on standby. So I can keep it on sleep on friday evening and resume on monday with 50% battery left.

As for your issue, seems like it doesn't go to sleep mode at all. Maybe a graphics driver issue? Try making sure all drivers are installed and up to date (not really but better).
You can also turn off hibernate if you have admin perms (in cmd): "powercfg -h off" (without double quotes) should do the trick.
Is it one that supports modern standby?
all of this seems to be of no use in newer devices with S0 standby support
older devices that do the traditional S3 standby work fine with standby (for the most part at least)

Hi I faced a similar problem what you can do is if your computer shut down instead of sleeping you can follow the below-mentioned steps :
Method- 1
  1. press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type ms-settings: power sleep, and press Enter.
  3. Inside the Power & Sleep window, select Additional power settings.
  4. Within the Power Options menu, click on Choose what the power buttons do.
  5. Change the values for each of these options: When I press the power button to Sleep, When I press the sleep button, and also When I close the lid.
  6. Click on Save changes.
  7. Check to see if changing these settings sorted the problem out. If not, try the next method.
    Method 2 :
    Check the BIOS and make sure Power Saving mode is enabled
    1. Restart your PC, and press the appropriate key to enter BIOS.
    2. Go to the Power Management setup section.
    3. Search for the Power Saving Mode option, and enable it.
    4. Save and exit BIOS.
    5. If the option was enabled, please follow the next method.
      Method 3: Run the Windows Power troubleshooter
      1. Press Windows Key+X buttons on your keyboard and select Settings.
      2. Inside the Settings window, choose the Update and Security section.
      3. Click on Troubleshoot from the right-side menu, and select Power from the left-side menu.
      4. Choose Run the troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.
      5. Check to see if this fixes your problem.
        I hope all these methods can help you out.

Attachments

• Additional-power-settings.png
    Additional-power-settings.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 71
Back