Working with Inverter/UPS Lead Acid Batteries

rsaeon

Patron
I'm going to consolidate my experiments and adventures with inverter batteries here.

Previous posts on the topic:

One of the earlier warning signs I noticed (and chose to ignore) when I first started trying to understand why my inverter batteries died so quickly (2.5 years) was this:

From: https://www.amaronbatteryinverterchennai.com/files/amaron/Quanta Silver Book.pdf

Float/Standby

This charging method is normally used in applications, such as emergency back-up when the battery is required only upon mains failure, e.g., Alarm panels, emergency lighting. In each case, the battery is continuously on charge and consequently, the recommended voltages are slightly lower than cyclic charging so as not to damage the battery. (Float voltage for Amaron Quanta range = 13.5 V per 12 V module).

And from: https://amaronquanta.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Amaron_OM_Manual.pdf

Do not float batteries at voltages higher or lower than those recommended which will be resulted reduced capacity or loss of battery life.

The inverter I'm using (Luminous Cruze+) floats the batteries at around 13.9V per battery, which sounds like it's a lot higher than what's recommended and may have been a reason why my batteries died so quickly.

The charging/float voltage on this inverter is not configurable and short of reverse engineering/modifying the controller board, I'm not left with any option other than to exchange my sealed batteries for flooded ones.

But I really like these batteries, so I spent several weeks searching the internet and found this somewhat relevant post/reply from twenty (!) years ago:

Does anyone know how to adjust the voltage at which an APC Smart-UPS floats
its batteries? Their factory default at room temperature seems to be about
2.33V/cell, which exceeds the manufacturer-recommended voltages for every
sealed-lead acid battery I've looked up (equivalent to 14.0V on a 12V string).

We've had to replace batteries these UPSes every 2-3 years, on average,
probably as a result of electrolyte loss from the high charging voltage.

Can this be controlled from an attached PC through the serial interface?
APC's tools seem to offer no such option, but I've heard rumors about an
undocumented calibration procedure.

(To answer their original question, the calibration procedure is now well documented elsewhere and here: https://kirbah.github.io/apc-ups/)

It really sounds like they had a very similar problem to mine back then — high float voltage shortening the life of SMF batteries.

A reply stood out:

In the past I have put a diode in series with a charger

This made sense to me, the idea/practice of lowering the float voltage with a diode. So my searchings were renewed for a high power diode and I found these 40A and 70A rated diodes at mathaelectronics.com:

photo_2023-12-01_06-04-06.jpg

I got a few them and started thinking about how I'd want them wired up. I'd need them to be able to conduct electricity in both directions, so that the inverter can both drain and charge the batteries. And I'd want at least a 1.5V drop during float charge, so as to bring the +55V float voltage down to 54V. A single diode drops voltage by about 0.7V. I came up with this arrangement:

photo_2023-12-01_06-04-07.jpg

It looks pretty awesome haha, it's basically three diodes arranged in a circle. The idea is that the battery is connected to one diode on the top left, and the inverter to the diode on the top right. So electricity flows through one diode when the inverter is pulling power from the battery, and it flows through two diodes when it's time to charge the batteries.

The heatsinks are old LGA775 ones with a center hold drilled and tapped for M8. I added a some heatshrinking to serve as insulation between the heatsinks. I'm expecting about 30W of heat dissipation at 1000W (1000W/48V is 20A, maximum voltage drop of this diode according to it's datasheet is 1.4V and 1.4V x 20A is 28W).

Here's it installed:

photo_2023-12-01_06-04-08.jpg

I checked the voltages, and the float voltage did drop down to 54.2V which was excellent. Then I did a load test and it exploded:

photo_2023-12-01_06-04-08 (2).jpg

It's rated for 70A, but that's probably for AC. Most people de-rate AC ratings by a factor of 10 for DC, so this was unavoidable. I tried the other diodes I got, thinking this may have been a defective diode but no, they all overheated and failed.

Now, I could bring my enthusiasm for a solution into question and either continue my search to find better diodes and come up with some kind of elaborate solution using a solid state relay or dc switching contactor which would bypass the diode when there's a power cut (thereby preventing the overheating explosions) or — I could even build an external charger for the batteries using Ashapower's Solar MPPT chargers that have configurable charge settings, you could theoretically run them off DC power supplies instead of solar panels but that would probably cost just as much as — going about replacing my inverter with something that's compatible with SMF batteries (charging at 13.5V per battery).

Whichever way I go, I'll update here whenever I go that way, haha.

Last edited:
I've got a Su-Kam inverter sinewave at home that we've been using for a very long time and we had gigachad sized tubular batteries for it and those batteries lasted.... 11 years just by regular maintenance like using them for a few hours even when there was active electricity and refilling the distilled water, both these things every month or two.

I honestly don't know if it was pure luck or if our maintenance helped but it really lasted 11 years and everyone finds it unbelievable. Do you have any insight on what could have made that happen? (besides luck)

Last edited:
I've personally seen SMF batteries last greater than 6-7 years even on inverters.

the reason your's died so soon is probably down to pure luck, sometimes they dont even last 2.5 years on online UPS's (1 battery might die out of a bank of 5 for eg).. and SMF batteries are basically meant specifically for OnlineUPS usecase in areas like banks or server room's etc.

also almost every inverter i've seen charges at 14v.. so i dont think luminous is doing anything wrong here. SUKAM's and Exide's inverter output the same voltage while charging.

I once replaced a bank of 150 ah smf batteries after 2 years.. the customer wanted the whole set replaced instead of replacing just one.. the old batteries i purchased from him served me for another 5 years on my personal inverter.. and the inverter wasnt even something fancy, it was the older cruze 2kva.

Last edited:
I've got a Su-Kam inverter sinewave at home that we've been using for a very long time and we had gigachad sized tubular batteries for it and those batteries lasted.... 11 years just by regular maintenance like using them for a few hours even when there was active electricity and refilling the distilled water, both these things every month or two.

I honestly don't know if it was pure luck or if our maintenance helped but it really lasted 11 years and everyone finds it unbelievable. Do you have any insight on what could have made that happen? (besides luck)

It's a combination of maintenance and not many discharge/recharge cycles. I have a APC home ups/inverter connected to a tubular battery, the battery is from 2017. I tested it last year with a ~40W load (home wifi/networking) and it gave a capacity of 142AH out of 150AH, and that was after five years of use. It's on year 6 now. I'm sure it has many more years left, if I remember to top up the water every few months. I've read and found that oversizing batteries makes them last much longer.

I've personally seen SMF batteries last greater than 6-7 years even on inverters.

the reason your's died so soon is probably down to pure luck, sometimes they dont even last 2.5 years on online UPS's (1 battery might die out of a bank of 5 for eg).. and SMF batteries are basically meant specifically for OnlineUPS usecase in areas like banks or server room's etc.

also almost every inverter i've seen charges at 14v.. so i dont think luminous is doing anything wrong here. SUKAM's and Exide's inverter output the same voltage while charging.

I once replaced a bank of 150 ah smf batteries after 2 years.. the customer wanted the whole set replaced instead of replacing just one.. the old batteries i purchased from him served me for another 5 years on my personal inverter.. and the inverter wasnt even something fancy, it was the older cruze 2kva.

That was the hope, I really wanted 5 years out of these batteries and people have seen that abroad (Amaron exports these batteries). I couldn't find anything about user experiences in India so that's part of the reason why sharing what I'm learning/experiencing.

I spoke to people at Vertiv/Liebert recently, they said a charging voltage of 13.7V and float of 13.5V is the the standard for them across all of their models, which is inline with Amaron's guidelines. It's likely the higher 13.9V float of the Luminous inverter is meant for flooded lead acid batteries. This inverter doesn't have a charge profile for SMF batteries, only flat plate and tubular, both of which are FLA battery types. Again, I originally went ahead with this setup with no experience and no research so I have no one to blame here — the seller probably could've educated me, I guess, but he probably thought I knew what I was doing.

I also spoke to the people at Livsol, their float charge for SMF is also 13.5V. I haven't heard back from other companies that I asked that also have SMF settings on their inverters (Genus, Microtek). My APC home ups does have a charge profile setting for SMF but I haven't tested it yet since it's paired with a tubular battery (for five years now).

It's starting to look like that I'll need an entirely new setup or I'll need to change either the inverter or the batteries with my current setup. I've sunk in 10k with used batteries so far (bought the second one after my last update here) so it's more likely that I'll change the inverter. Maybe do some kind of exchange with a reseller on OLX. Or buy a new inverter on EMI that does have a charge setting/profile for SMF.

For now, I bought a battery equalizer from banggood and it's working well enough to keep all of the batteries equalized (it's like an active balancer, but for 12V batteries):

photo_2023-12-14 02.46.25.jpeg

Though, seeing those 13.9V numbers does stress me out every day.

Also, to note, while it's aesthetically pleasing to have the batteries arranged in this way, it's not recommended at all. The positive and negative of the battery bank are very close and something as simple as a careless drop of a screw driver can short them out and start a fire.

I've also been experimenting with desulphation (pulse desulphators and brute force charging at over 15V with two of the replaced batteries) and nothing appears to be working so far, battery capacity hasn't increased in either case. I'll keep at it for a month or so before giving up.

What follows is a compilation of what I've learned about the currently available inverter models and charging voltages.

Most of it can be summarized as inverters are generally designed for FLA batteries, which require higher charging voltages than the UPS focused AGM/VRLA Amaron Quanta batteries that I have.

In no particular order:

Exide

Boost Charging Voltage:
14.4V per battery

Float Charging Voltage:
13.7V per battery

Reference:
https://www.exideindustries.com/products/home-ups-system/lower-kva.aspx
https://www.exideindustries.com/products/home-ups-system/higher-kva.aspx

Smarten

Boost Charging Voltage:
14.4V per battery (Tubular & SMF)
14.0V per battery (Flat)

Bulk Absorption Voltage:
14.8V per battery

Float Charging Voltage:
13.7V per battery

Reference:
https://5.imimg.com/data5/SELLER/Doc/2021/4/DZ/ET/OS/63564864/2500-va-smarten-superb-mppt.pdf

Livsol

Boost Charging Voltage:
14V to 15V adjustable, 14.4V default per battery (Tubular)
13.8V per battery (SMF)

Float Charging Voltage:
13.7V per battery (Tubular)
13.5V per battery (SMF)

Reference: Company sent manual on WhatsApp.

Delta Power

Boost Charging Voltage:
13.8V to 14.5V adjustable, 14.4V default per battery

Float Charging Voltage:
13.7V per battery

Reference:
https://www.amazon.in/DELTA-POWER-Automatic-CONFIGURABLE-stabilizer/dp/B0BL8DWPY7

Ashapower

Bulk Charging Voltage:
13V to 16V adjustable, 14.4V default per battery

Float Charging Voltage:
13V to 16V adjustable, 13.8V default per battery

Reference:
https://ashapower.in/products/dsp-sine-wave-home-ups-lander-2500

Genus

Boost Charging Voltage:
14.6V per battery (Tubular)
14.4V per battery (SMF & Flat & solar models)
15.6V per battery (Desulphation/Revival)

Float Charging Voltage:
13.8V per battery (Tubular)
13.6V per battery (SMF)
13.7V per battery (Flat)
13.8V per battery (Revival)
13.5V per battery (for solar models)

Reference: Company sent manual on WhatsApp.

Luminous Cruze

Boost Charging Voltage:
14.6V per battery (Tubular)
14.2V per battery (Flat)

Float Charging Voltage:
13.9V per battery

Reference: User manual that came with my unit.

UTL

Boost Charging Voltage:
13.5V to 15V, 14.5V default per battery (Tubular)
13.5V to 14.2V, 13.5V default per battery (SMF)

Float Charging Voltage:
13.5V to 14.2V, 13.8V default per battery (Tubular)
13.0V to 14.2V, 13.5V default per battery (SMF)

https://5.imimg.com/data5/SELLER/Doc/2023/3/JD/DD/SI/137902568/utl-gamma-224-rmppt-pcu.pdf

Some thoughts:

Ashapower and UTL have the largest adjustable range, making them the most suitable inverters for any kind of battery. Livsol's default settings for SMF is perfect for Amaron Quanta.

However, neither the Ashapower nor the UTL has transfer times that's suitable for use as a UPS. Ashapower lists their transfer/changeover time as 20ms and there are videos on youtube about UTL that mention how "IT Mode" is actually a narrow voltage range mode and transfer times remain the same. Other videos show how the transfer time is so slow that devices like routers do not hold power and that's despite the fact that they that have a tiny amount of reserve power in their power adapter. I can't find any user experiences about the Livsol (or photos for that matter — only renders).

This is probably because they're all using relays in their designs. I never faced transfer time issues with my Luminous Cruze because it's likely the only model that uses mosfets instead of relays, giving it a near zero transfer time (another thing to add to the list of things that I was not aware of when I originally purchased it).

So it looks like I'll be keeping the inverter since it is working very well as a UPS and instead I'll find an alternative for the battery situation. The two recently purchased Quanta batteries will be repurposed for some other setup, maybe a DIY ups for networking gear.

One of the good things about lead acid batteries is that they're well matured chemistries and there's not much unknown about them. So it's very easy to get a state of charge estimation by measuring the voltage without any load attached.

It looks like they're just a simple voltage meters that translates volts to capacity if you're measuring a 12V battery so it will be accurate in that scenario.

But it wouldn't be very useful for measuring Lithium battery capacity, since it's only a voltage meter.

One of the good things about lead acid batteries is that they're well matured chemistries and there's not much unknown about them. So it's very easy to get a state of charge estimation by measuring the voltage without any load attached.

It looks like they're just a simple voltage meters that translates volts to capacity if you're measuring a 12V battery so it will be accurate in that scenario.

But it wouldn't be very useful for measuring Lithium battery capacity, since it's only a voltage meter.
So considering this, it should work accurate with batteries of UPS, bike and car?
But the same thing cannot be measured with just a multimeter.

Sorry for being slightly OT but is there anyway to repair a dead inverter battery or is selling it for scrap the only option?
I took an inverter battery for charging since it's been discarded for few years without distilled water and was told its not holding charge.

If it's been years without being used, there's very little chance that it might be revived. Lead acid batteries permanently lose capacity if they're not used, and all lead acid batteries have a fixed life whether you use them or not, so it's important to check manufacturing date on a battery before buying it (whether new or used).

You could try desulphation, there are two methods. The first is to use a pulse desulphator (around Rs 1000) and leave it connected to the battery and a charger for about a month and see if that revives the battery. The other is to force a higher charge (15V to 16V) limited to 10% of the battery's amp capacity (10a for a 100ah battery) for at least 8 hours and see if it started to take a charge. It is a slow and not very rewarding process so that's why people recommending scrapping the battery.

But lead acid batteries have significant scrap value — some places offer up 40% of the the price of a new battery. This is because lead acid batteries are +90% recyclable. The general price is around Rs 100 or so per kilo of a battery that's been drained of water.

I bought it new, it was hardly used for two months before it was discarded. The local exide dealership is saying 3500 for the 180 ah battery. Guess I will scrap it for new one when needed.

The first is to use a pulse desulphator (around Rs 1000) and leave it connected to the battery and a charger for about a month and see if that revives the battery. The other is to force a higher charge (15V to 16V) limited to 10% of the battery's amp capacity (10a for a 100ah battery) for at least 8 hours and see if it started to take a charge. It is a slow and not very rewarding process so that's why people recommending scrapping the battery.
And these chargers do almost the same thing but for less time?

The one thing I discovered when looking at lead acid batteries a few years ago is the manufacture date matters. You want to get fresh batteries ie. Not older than three months from manufacture date and to do that you need to understand the codes various manufacturers use. To date Exide is the only brand I found that uses such codes.

The big con that happens here is older the battery the more the discount. People want discounts and this works great to get rid of old stock. But with lead acid, the longer the battery remains without charge the shorter it's life overall will be. And a fresh battery won't be discounted.

SMF batteries are temperature sensitive. A higher float charge might get them to vent more than they should and this means shorter life. I recall the ambient temperature can't exceed 30 degrees meaning artificial cooling was needed for particular Exide batteries to avail of warranty.

Went into details about lead acid in that thread.

Another point that came up was loading and at what point you recharged. I found it was best to oversize and recharge often. Not letting charge drop below a certain amount and oversizing to get the required runtime while maintaining life.

Last edited:
Those are all very excellent and very important points — fresh batteries, keep an eye on ambient temperature, oversize so that you're ideally at 80% depth of discharge for the run time you want (if not, then 50% DOD at most).

I've been referencing your thread on and off the last few weeks as I try to understand things, I'm going to go through it again now.

can this desulphate batteries?

Guys any recommendation for a charger for car and inverter battery refresh ?
And what about additives which can be added in lead acid battery to get few additional months

can this desulphate batteries?

Ask for a user manual on Whatsapp: +91 97733 19407

Genus inverters (regular and solar) all have desulphation modes but I can't find any direct information if their battery chargers have this revival mode. The description for the battery charger claims to be able to 'revive' batteries which generally means they have a desulphation mode, but seeing this is an app-based device, ask for a manual to confirm.

And what about additives which can be added in lead acid battery to get few additional months

I've read the best thing to add to batteries is distilled water. I've refrained from doing that to these Quanta batteries because it then changes everything about the battery and so nothing on the datasheets holds true anymore. However, there are videos on Youtube that show a Quanta battery was brought back to life after adding water.

Guys any recommendation for a charger for car and inverter battery refresh ?

I have the smaller bosch charger, it works well for our little car battery when we forget to take out for a weeks or months at a time.

Back