Budget 90k+ Workstation vs Gaming laptop for 3D rendering work

Emrebel

Adept
Hey all,
So I have been recently looking for getting a portable machine for DCC pipeline and rendering work.

Initially I wanted to go for a workstation but due to current covid situation I am forced to work from home and workplace alternatively and thus it is difficult to house it any one place.

So my query is what is better in long term Workstation laptop or Gaming laptop?

Budget ~ 2.5-2.7 lacs

I can get a rtx 3080 based gaming laptop for above price tag but I am worried about the quality of components in Gaming laptops.
On the other spectrum the Workstation house enough ram(64gb),good enough cpu but GPUs are not from RTX lineup (workstation ones) except for one or two workstations.
And the workstations are backed by a 3 yr warranty component.

Any input or experience would be extremely helpful

Hey all,
So I have been recently looking for getting a portable machine for DCC pipeline and rendering work.

Initially I wanted to go for a workstation but due to current covid situation I am forced to work from home and workplace alternatively and thus it is difficult to house it any one place.

So my query is what is better in long term Workstation laptop or Gaming laptop?

Budget ~ 2.5-2.7 lacs

I can get a rtx 3080 based gaming laptop for above price tag but I am worried about the quality of components in Gaming laptops.
On the other spectrum the Workstation house enough ram(64gb),good enough cpu but GPUs are not from RTX lineup (workstation ones) except for one or two workstations.
And the workstations are backed by a 3 yr warranty component.

Any input or experience would be extremely helpful
1) RTX 3080 are sold from 1.3lacs to 1.5lacs itself.
2) 3900XT will be 40k or 5900X will 58k.
3) Msi MEG Tomahawk x570 Wifi motherboard for 22k to 23k or MSI / ASUS B550 for 16k around.
4) ram depend on timing. like for 64gb 20k to 22k. I have Crucial Ballistix 16gb x 2 which I run at 3600mhz cl16. if you want more good ram, double the price and get a cl14 kit or so like GSkill or Corsair Dominator series.
5) SSD is 1tb samsung evo 970 plus or aurous gen 4 ssd 11 to 13k. both are nvme form factor.
6) Lian Li GALAHAD AIO for 13k or Noctua air NH-D15 8.6k.
7) Cabinate depending on what you want. lets consider min 8k for a cabinate like corsair 4000D air / lian Li Lancool Mesh 2 or a better phantek p500a or corsair 5000D airflow for 13k around.

TOTAL: Rs. 248000 / 291000. now you can configure based on the above build. all are rough estimation based on my purchase and what ever people are buying things.

If you want RTX 3090, its going near 2 lacs. so add 50 to 60 k on the above config and that will be your given budget.

normally all components come with 3 years warranty. ZOTAC cards come with 5 years warranty if you are interested in it.

1) RTX 3080 are sold from 1.3lacs to 1.5lacs itself.
2) 3900XT will be 40k or 5900X will 58k.
3) Msi MEG Tomahawk x570 Wifi motherboard for 22k to 23k or MSI / ASUS B550 for 16k around.
4) ram depend on timing. like for 64gb 20k to 22k. I have Crucial Ballistix 16gb x 2 which I run at 3600mhz cl16. if you want more good ram, double the price and get a cl14 kit or so like GSkill or Corsair Dominator series.
5) SSD is 1tb samsung evo 970 plus or aurous gen 4 ssd 11 to 13k. both are nvme form factor.
6) Lian Li GALAHAD AIO for 13k or Noctua air NH-D15 8.6k.
7) Cabinate depending on what you want. lets consider min 8k for a cabinate like corsair 4000D air / lian Li Lancool Mesh 2 or a better phantek p500a or corsair 5000D airflow for 13k around.

TOTAL: Rs. 248000 / 291000. now you can configure based on the above build. all are rough estimation based on my purchase and what ever people are buying things.

If you want RTX 3090, its going near 2 lacs. so add 50 to 60 k on the above config and that will be your given budget.

normally all components come with 3 years warranty. ZOTAC cards come with 5 years warranty if you are interested in it.
Thanks for detailed build but I am looking for a portable machine.

Eg: https://store.hp.com/in-en/default/...ook-studio-g7-mobile-workstation-235m3pa.html

Lenovo Thinkpad P53 Intel Core i7 - 15.6" FHD IPS Workstation (64 GB RAM/1TB SSD / Windows 10 Professional/ RTX3000 6GB Graphics / Black, 2.5Kg ), 20QQS2Y500 https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08KDXYRVT/

Thanks for detailed build but I am looking for a portable machine.

Eg: https://store.hp.com/in-en/default/...ook-studio-g7-mobile-workstation-235m3pa.html

Lenovo Thinkpad P53 Intel Core i7 - 15.6" FHD IPS Workstation (64 GB RAM/1TB SSD / Windows 10 Professional/ RTX3000 6GB Graphics / Black, 2.5Kg ), 20QQS2Y500 https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08KDXYRVT/
The Strix SCAR 17

Read more at: https://www.gizbot.com/laptop/news/...-3070-3080-gpus-launched-in-india-073203.html

That is exactly the reason for this post.
I know I can get a more colorful and better configuration gaming laptop but I am not sure when it comes to Professional work.
This is a question that can only be answered by your workload. Do you use applications that require pro-drivers and have lots of proprietary components (eg., Solidworks)? If so, the workstation/pro line of products makes more sense.

Reliability is a fickle, multi-varied subject that's best left outside of primary decision factors. Decide whether you need the pro hardware or if you're going to be okay with consumer stuff and then it gets a lot easier.

That is exactly the reason for this post.
I know I can get a more colorful and better configuration gaming laptop but I am not sure when it comes to Professional work.
Laptop is a no-no any time form my personal experience. you can use to work on it but rendering, its something I wont recommend. their are laptops which comes with desktop cpu, those are great. Gaming laptops can handle anything you will through at them. also remember, if you get the laptop and it goes to rma, then you are left with nothing. if your system goes for rma, mostly component, you can either buy new and sell the rma replacement. which saves you from not working condition.

Get a used or new 2060 RTX or better laptop upgrade ram to 32/64 use as a portable device.
With the rest of the budget get a Proper Workstation rig.

Never put 2.5L on the laptop.
It will be a mistake when it comes to rendering expectations.

I don't do much of renders but do kind of light baking Unity & Unreal for AR VR
I use my old laptop 960M for basic work and meetings and quick preview and all.
Then min work on my Main Rig.

Last edited:
Get a used or new 2060 RTX or better laptop upgrade ram to 32/64 use as a portable device.
With the rest of the budget get a Proper Workstation rig.

Never put 2.5L on the laptop.
It will be a mistake when it comes to rendering expectations.

I don't do much of renders but do kind of light baking Unity & Unreal for AR VR
I use my old laptop 960M for basic work and meetings and quick preview and all.
Then min work on my Main Rig.
Thanks for the insight
This is a question that can only be answered by your workload. Do you use applications that require pro-drivers and have lots of proprietary components (eg., Solidworks)? If so, the workstation/pro line of products makes more sense.

Reliability is a fickle, multi-varied subject that's best left outside of primary decision factors. Decide whether you need the pro hardware or if you're going to be okay with consumer stuff and then it gets a lot easier.
I mostly use Blender and other softwares such as Unreal, Unity etc

Why do you need Quadro GPU for these?
I think any normal RTX GPU would do just fine with Studio Drivers while saving you a lot of money at the same time.
i am not an unreal or Blender champ over hear .But looking at his requirements of not gaming but spu for workstation related task and current GPU pricing the Quadro's would be available for list prices and he could get his work done.one drawback would be lower resale value.

i am not an unreal or Blender champ over hear .But looking at his requirements of not gaming but spu for workstation related task and current GPU pricing the Quadro's would be available for list prices and he could get his work done.one drawback would be lower resale value.
A Quadro RTX 4000 is available for 70-75K which performs slightly lower than a 2070. Even at the current market prices he could buy the RTX3060 for 70K which will have much better performance specially with Optix in Blender and more importantly 12GB of VRAM over 8GB which will come in handy while rendering. I do not see a point in going for a quadro ever until you specifically need it like for a specific use case like solidworks or catia etc. certainly not required for Blender.

Upto 1.5L
If you're still looking at a full-sized, performance focused laptop, I would suggest waiting if at all possible for a few more options should open up. If waiting is not possible, It would be a good idea to look at more portable choices considering you'll have a dedicated rig to do the heavy lifting.

If waiting is not an option, share a size/weight limit.

If you're still looking at a full-sized, performance focused laptop, I would suggest waiting if at all possible for a few more options should open up. If waiting is not possible, It would be a good idea to look at more portable choices considering you'll have a dedicated rig to do the heavy lifting.

If waiting is not an option, share a size/weight limit.
I can wait for now

Back