World Cup 2018 Discussions

They play because they started playing young and were guided well.
Point is we did it twice. So its possible. According to you India should not have been able to win a cup ever again. There was a need to do it. That need isn't there to the same extent with others. Though on the olympics level i see shooting & wrestling picking up.

We invest in nothing.. our sports achievements can all be credited to those individuals an their coaches for their hardwork and struggle. The country cant take credit for anything. Sachin became the Sachin we know because he was born in Bombay and his bro took him to Acharaekar at a young age. Had he from our town, attending the school I went, he probably would've been spending his life sitting in some dilapidated Govt. office taking extended tea breaks and guffawing at lewd jokes.
Then maybe we need leadership that will make it a priority. Create a framework that will be self-sustaining. It will happen as we approach third biggest economy, we become more important on the global stage.

They still had good teams.. even if they didn't win any WorldCup. You doesn't necessarily have to win, its about having a good team and putting up a good show.
Good teams with big names who could not deliver when it counted. This is the signature of this WC. The smaller guys showed up and stole the show. Croatia almost won this cup.

No kids "dream" of becoming Gynecologists or Cardiac Surgeons. Maybe there will be a few who actually Dream about joining Civil services, but thats it! Kids dream of becoming Sports stars, rock stars or Movie stars.. They'll just 'contemplate' about the profession they are gonna chase. Unlike us, kids in Australia know they have a decent chance to live their dreams.
We should never have won the cricket WC then. All these things you talk about are middle class pursuits. There is a huge pool below that which can be employed.

It's pretty obvious that the biggest barrier here is mental

Last edited:
Point is we did it twice. So its possible. According to you India should not have been able to win a cup ever again. There was a need to do it. That need isn't there to the same extent with others.
The first win was phenomenal.. the second was the worldcup for Sachin where BCCI finally brought the championship back to the subcontinent for Sachin to win it. Not sure if the team would've performed the same had it been an European or Australian tournament. I am not demeaning the team but just sharing my observations. Our team is surely good.. but what else do you expect from the national team of a country of 1.3billion people where almost everyone is playing that one sport.

Then maybe we need leadership that will make it a priority. Create a framework that will be self-sustaining.
Yes.. that is exactly what India lacks. What was the Sports Ministry doing all these years? Farting and Swatting flies??:eek:

We should never have won the cricket WC then. All these things you talk about are middle class pursuits. There is a huge pool below that which can be employed.

It's pretty obvious that the biggest barrier here is mental
All I was saying was in India too kids dream of becoming Sports stars, but their dream will just stay a dream..

We're good at cricket because it's a game, not a sport. Little above golf. About on par with or slightly below baseball.

Football is a sport.

/bittertruth

This Kerela sports minister is going in the right direction :D

We have to learn our history too

football india.jpg

Back