Graphic Cards Worth the wait ?

hello all !
i am plannig to buy a gpu .
i have a 20" full hd monitor .
i have a strict 9-10k budget .
i was thinking of buying the 5770 hd.
but i like the 5850 but the prices are keeping me down?
what do you guys suggest should i buy the 5770 now or wait for 5850 to come down to 10k ??
and how much time will i have to wait approx. ?:huh:

I am in the same position and I am going for the HD 5770.

The 5850 will definitely not come down to such a low price. It's way too good a card to be sold at 10k

RoBoGhOsT said:
5850 wont come to 10k for atleast 4-5 months i think because there is no competition from nvidia .

im ready to wait 4-5 months .
but ill be dissapointed if it takes 3-4 even after that ! :huh:

wr8_utd said:
I am in the same position and I am going for the HD 5770.

The 5850 will definitely not come down to such a low price. It's way too good a card to be sold at 10k
:( i hope i get 5850 ! :(

Perhaps used HD5850 can be found at those price idk...btw warranty cover is still there if the 1st owner doesn't flash the card or do any modding on it.

5770 can handle almost all present games on Max settings. There is no point to go for 5850 now since you will only end up adding a few more frames to an already playable game. Maybe after 6 months or an year, 5770 will start to show the signs of aging, it is then when you can crossfire it with another 5770 to almost double your GPU performance. I am sure the prices of 5770 would also have come down by then.

HD5770 X2 >>> HD5850

Bluffmaster said:
Maybe after 6 months or an year, 5770 will start to show the signs of aging, it is then when you can crossfire it with another 5770 to almost double your GPU performance. I am sure the prices of 5770 would also have come down by then.

HD5770 X2 >>> HD5850

There's absolutely nothing wrong going by your logic bluffy but you do need to understand that by 6 months or an year, things would have changed for good. Both nVidia and ATI would have released better cards across all segments bettering the previous cards in terms of performance and thermal footprint. For instance, the GTX295 still consumes more power (close to 380W on load) than the newly released Fermi cards. There is always a better card which could outperform the 2 cards in SLI or crossfire.

When going crossfire/SLI, the golden rule stands - it is either now or never.

buddingwhizkid said:
im ready to wait 4-5 months .
but ill be dissapointed if it takes 3-4 even after that ! :huh:
:( i hope i get 5850 ! :(

I will most probably NEVER come to 10k.... AMD has a different plan, they'll release HD6000 this year, and then HD5850 will be outdated.. and the cycle goes on.... so quit waiting, and grab this card:-

MSI HD5770 1GB GDDR5 HAWK @ 10.2k

comp@ddict said:
I will most probably NEVER come to 10k.... AMD has a different plan, they'll release HD6000 this year, and then HD5850 will be outdated.. and the cycle goes on.... so quit waiting, and grab this card:-

MSI HD5770 1GB GDDR5 HAWK @ 10.2k

And pray, how are we getting the 4870 for around 8k these days which i believe was a card that retailed for more than 15k at launch? :S

ya i think itll take atleast a year for it to come down to 10k .

so ill stick with 5770 as of now .

im buying the card with this rig . please comment on it too.

phenom II X6 1055t

ga-770t usb 3.0 ddr3

cooler master 310

zebronics psu 500w

creative 2.1 speakers

logitech wireless key+mouse

i have dell 10" full hd

500gb seagate.

4gb 1333 kingston.

The reason I suggested a better PSU, as you are investing in a six core proccy. It always safer to have a good PSU on the reasonably powerful rigs such as yours. Infact if you are laying a budget, put money aside for a good PSU first and invest in other components later on.

5830 costs around 14k here afaik. So, may be out of op's budget. It isn't worth the extra 4k from an HD 5770. It would be better if he gives a try if it's around 13k.

111diablo111 said:
HD5770 is the way to go for you :)

Yes it matters a lot. You have a hexa-core thuban(125w TDP) and a GPU that draws 110w(max). Get a decent PSU as it would provide clean power to the system.

Your options with this config are,
i) Corsair CX400 (80+ certified, 3 yrs warranty) ~ 2.8k
i) Seasonic S12II 430 (80+ certified, 3 yrs warranty) ~ 3.3k
i) Corsair VX450 (80+ certified, 5 yrs warranty) ~ 3.7k

Go for the S12II 520 in cae u are gonna buy a HD5850.

How much amps does your Zebby PSU deliver. I doubt whether it would suffice and also the quality of these PSU's is not that great. Their Pro range makes for a decent entry level PSU.

Back