Graphic Cards Would getting a 5770 be a justifiable upgrade from 9800GT?

Rogues

Disciple
Hey guys,

My current configurations is as follows:-
CPU
description: CPU
product: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.

Display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: G92 [GeForce 9800 GT]
vendor: nVidia Corporation​
In anticipation of the the myriad of amazing games that are going to be released over the next few months, I've decided that I could use a graphics upgrade. I game on a 19" monitor at 1440x900. I can afford to spend around Rs. 6000/- on this upgrade. I do not need all settings to be at the highest but I'd like to have 4X AA and everything else on medium at the native resolution.

My 9800GT currently serves me well, but I have to turn off the AA to get good frame-rates(>40)

I am wondering whether I should go ahead and continue my search for a second hand 5770 or save a little more and get an 5850. But don't you think that a 5850 might be an overkill for that resolution. Another benefit of getting a 5770 would be that I could save the cash and spend it instead on pre-ordering Skyrim.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm also open to nVidia alternatives.

Some other info:-

Games I'll be playing,

• Skyrim [This one is really important, I'll cease to exist for a week or two for this one!]
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Battlefield 3
  • Rage
  • Assassin's Creed Revelations
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Oh and I have a Corsair Vx550.

Thanks,

Rogues

IMO HD5770 will be enough. But if you can save a bit more go for HD6850 at your reso. It will be more than enough as far as i can tell. :) Also HD6790 but don't know anything about it's specs or price.

6850 Twin frozr?? When did this come out?? :p Its 6850 Cyclone PE at 9.2K..

@OP : As everyone is suggesting extend your budget and get a 6850

thegatekeeper said:
ATI hd6790=7.9k
hd6850=9.2k
msi hd6850 twin frozr would be a better choice for your reso.

yeah got little mixed up.
chiragsthakur said:
6850 Twin frozr?? When did this come out?? :p Its 6850 Cyclone PE at 9.2K..

@OP : As everyone is suggesting extend your budget and get a 6850

Nah certainly not going to wait.

Theoretically speaking what kind of performance upgrade would I see with 5770 over a 9800GT?

Besides I think if I can arrange 9k for 6850 wouldn't I be better off with a second hand 5850 instead?The price would be lower and it would perform better as well.

I have no need to buy a "new" graphics, nor own cutting edge technology.

How much would a Palit 9800GT 512MB with 6 months warranty sell for? I bought this second hand from a TE member. I don't have the bill but I have the box, the serial number on the card is also present. Rs 3000/- shipped sounds right?

new 5850 is available for 8.5k locally.. 6850 beats 5850 in few games.. not many... but 6850 consumes a lot less power than 5850... and produces lot less heat

Rogues said:
Nah certainly not going to wait.

Theoretically speaking what kind of performance upgrade would I see with 5770 over a 9800GT?

Besides I think if I can arrange 9k for 6850 wouldn't I be better off with a second hand 5850 instead?The price would be lower and it would perform better as well.

I have no need to buy a "new" graphics, nor own cutting edge technology.

How much would a Palit 9800GT 512MB with 6 months warranty sell for? I bought this second hand from a TE member. I don't have the bill but I have the box, the serial number on the card is also present. Rs 3000/- shipped sounds right?

Thanks mrcool, I'll hear a few more opnions :)

In addition to all that I also have another question, I use linux most of the time and only boot into Windows XP once in a week or so. So my question is how are the ATI Drivers for linux?

^^ Get the AMD HD 6850 OR better bet HD 6870 ~ 11500/-, as the HD 6850 is already showing its age in newer titles, so the HD 6870 is a more juicy piece of meat to fall for.

Else wait till February next year for the AMD HD 7*** release [in India] and the first specs from nVidia Kepler.

AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

Hope this helps, Sire!!

Argh people I was on a budget of 6000/- for a second hand card, you guys have gone to twice that price already! :p

I can't spend that much on a card, no way, the most I can do is arrange 6,000/- and then sell my 9800GT for whatever extra I can get and that's the budget I shall be working with.

ALPHA17: A 6870 for 1440x900 seems like a major overkill..

Edit: Where are you guys quoting your prices from?

deathgoddg said:
Which linux are you using please mention kernel as well

Sent from my Blade using Tapatalk

I'm using Debian, and I checked AMD's website, they do provide the drivers, so no worries.

With the 5770 i played games with 1920 *1080 reso with manageable fps for me , at 1400 by 900 it ran most of my games pretty well , of the future games i dont really know but 5770 should be able to handle it . Still i would suggest you to buy 6770 as 7 series comes 5 series wil get phased out to some extent i assume (or has it already) , so it may help you in better rsale

Back