Would you work for 12 hour for 4 day work week?

Would you work in 12 hours shift to have 3 day weekend?

• Yes

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Not applicable for me

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
A big NO!
Let me tell you why.
People who work in shifts like 9 hours job are at a loss because ideally, they use to work 45 hours (9x5) till now will have to work 48 hours (12x4)
Now coming to a country like India where companies do not give a f about Labour laws if this gets implemented it will make things worse.

Labour laws say No employee shall be required to work in any establishment for more than 9 hours in a day. But Hello? Most MNCs make people work 10+ hours ez and you try to point out what you get to hear? "This is not a govt job" people take pride here to work 12+ hours to show how hardworking they are.

After working overtime they won't leave you on weekends too (what plans?) because project or tasks deadlines duh?. So you're asked to work on Saturdays and maybe Sundays too. So, if this policy gets implemented you will work 12+ hours daily then Friday (Companies be like you use to do it before), Saturday, and Sunday:blush:

Why this policy may not be implemented and if implemented may not be adopted because most IT companies do outsourcing and mostly have projects from the US and they already have this policy implemented there yet not most companies have adopted this there and as companies here are outsourcing if they work, you work.

No, you....
JK

What kind of IT industry you're in? Unless you get paid overtime and you like it why would you stick to such a job?
I was joking. But this could've been true if it was 4-5 years ago (especially for freshers who landed a job in a very small IT company which gets their projects from freelance). Times have changed, people give high importance to work life balance these days.

WFH peep anyways stretch more than 10hrs so if wfh, then ii hardly matters for 12hrs.
I can even work for 13hrs, same package but 3 days a week if anything like that is even available making it 40hrs for 3 days. THus almost covering up for 50hrs a week in just 3 days.

Last edited:
Although it's not applicable for me, I'd have taken 12 hours shift. But then there's a new question. On 9 hours shift, if companies expect you to work 12 hours and if they make it 12 hours standard then they might expect one to work 15 hours.

If I was working in a company, I would club the 12 hr workdays for 16 days straight and then go for a holiday for the next 12 days. But I guess this can't happen if someone is working in a team on a big project involving many other people.

Although it's not applicable for me, I'd have taken 12 hours shift. But then there's a new question. On 9 hours shift, if companies expect you to work 12 hours and if they make it 12 hours standard then they might expect one to work 15 hours.
According to me its altogether a personal choice. I stick to 9 hours strict or max 10.. aka for what co. is paying me I will work only for that much allocation.
Anything more or above I ask for a comp-off or late login or otherwise.
And I'm very much clearn and upfront with this decisions with my managers too.
Same goes for any weekend working.

Rest, as for workaholic people, I have people in team who are 24*7*365 days constantly online who either got divorced due to their pathetic slavery lifestyle or their family have cut them off their their lives so no friends no family. Such people get all perks etc. as their only friend and family is work and co. so they will die working with zero outside life.
And if manager ever complains that such people are always ready and still working, I straightway say get it done from them only and not me as I have life after 9-10 hrs. Also, I hardly have anything pending so thats another usp.

Anyone made to slog after office hours is up to him/her as to how they manipulate it or its purely personal choice or to keep impressing people..
Also, HRs/management can understand eod we are humans and beyond 12hrs it will be inhuman unless the co. itself treats employees as workhorses robots!

Not applicable to me.

But I wont be comfortable doing 12 hours a day, it'll burn me out much much faster.
And thanks to the Indian culture, 12 hours start at 8 or 9 am and end never.

I remember an interview with a company, where I asked the HR, "What are the office timings?"

She confidently replied "You have to reach office at 8.30 am"

"I asked and when do we leave?"

She said "There are no leaving times"

I still asked "How many hours do you work?, 8-9-10 or what?"

She repeated the same things "12 hours bare minimum on any given day, and more depending on situation" (If the situation is so boomed up that even after putting in 12 hours a day am not able to get it under control, there's no point changing roles)

And let me add that the opening was not related to IT field (No Networking or Hardware stuff),

Boom it, Didn't bother taking it forward.

I am working in IT since 17+ years and we do work for 12 hours on need basis. But daily, nope, I at least don't. I try to make it clear that unless needed (which I know it isn't the case daily) I won't be spending unnecessary time in front of laptop. I have made sure I don't have teams installed on my phone too since it I have it and logged in, I will get pings and will appear away and many a times, we may have inclination to see and reply ping which can then turn into full fledged work.

WFH has definitely caused me to work for more time but now we have got to know that we will have to go to office. I personally don't want to because i don't like the long travel but if I have to then I won't be able to attend late evening calls (US client) and that will hopefully put some sense in our managers that it is useless for us to come to office especially when I have exactly zero people in my project working from my location.

Personally, I won't do the 12 Hours as it will become a grind and will cause more stress and health issues i feel.

Voted NO.
A 12hour day will effect my personal life, which a 3 day weekend won't solve.
Besides typical 8 or 9 hours of office work, my day consists of other things I like to do - going for a walk (or gym sometime), taking my kid to play ground or playing something with him indoor, read few pages of any book, talking over phone with family/friends, some netflix'ing etc etc. (not everything everyday of course).

And with an extra day on weekend, I won't be doing something extra which can compensate the smaller things I enjoy doing everyday.

Voted NO.
A 12hour day will effect my personal life, which a 3 day weekend won't solve.
Besides typical 8 or 9 hours of office work, my day consists of other things I like to do - going for a walk (or gym sometime), taking my kid to play ground or playing something with him indoor, read few pages of any book, talking over phone with family/friends, some netflix'ing etc etc. (not everything everyday of course).

And with an extra day on weekend, I won't be doing something extra which can compensate the smaller things I enjoy doing everyday.

Nice points there. I too feel that extra day off won't help me much. May be once in a blue moon I have to go to bank etc or get some work done which can be done only on week day would be possible but else nothing much.

I would hate to be in a job that has me counting the number of hours spent. Thankfully I am at (recently joined a new place) where tasks & results are more important than hours. And thankfully the ownership of tasks are with me, so I can plan my day, week, month. Only quarter ends are answerable to top management.

An average Bangalorean spends 3+ hrs on the commute. After counting daily chores, That leaves you with less than 8hrs of required sleep. No thanks.

In India, even teachers in private schools and colleges are forced to work for 10 hours and then they were given useless tasks so that they cannot even breath properly at home. I can only imagine the plight of a corporate employee who is doing actual work. This law will ensure the harassment of everyone.

In India, even teachers in private schools and colleges are forced to work for 10 hours and then they were given useless tasks so that they cannot even breath properly at home. I can only imagine the plight of a corporate employee who is doing actual work. This law will ensure the harassment of everyone.
Its same in most jobs..
In IT they will interview for everything as if the entire infra depends on on single person, and once selected what you are given is look at tickets and do excel crap copy pate or some basic work and get paid 1lac. Though not in every IT but can say for 70% positions.
As if they want someone who could fly a plane, submarine and launch missiles but once selected that person have to either ride a cycle or nothing more than a maruti 800!

Well currently not sure about 12hrs on daily basis , but its easily stretched to over 9-10 hours a day sometimes depending on the call of the situation . But having to do it for 4 days on a roll , Man that would be painful . It would be mentally exhausting and would greatly effect the productivity and I think govt must take these inputs and strategize accordingly .

Back