Linux Wubi installation woes

-Anish-

Skilled
Hello,

I would really appreciate if someone guides me into a direction regarding the Installation of Jackalope 64bit using Wubi. the screenshot will tell you exactly what i mean :ashamed:

mini-DSC00435.JPG

PS: I know a lot of people saying no for Wubi, but i would rather keep away from making the partitions as i have a lot of data scattered over (though organized) unless its the last resort.
Now, is it anything to do with my hdd giving s.m.a.r.t error?

And yes, i do have an ATi card.
TIA
|Anish|

ATI card has nothing to do with Bootloader meesup..

Have no idea about wubi. :p Never tried it :p Uninstall it and try it again.

I would suggest you to do normal install.

Can you reinstall by downloading latest version of Wubi and using your existing Jackalope ISO? Some google searching seems to have related links:

Problems booting Wubi in last intrepid beta - Ubuntu Forums

"No root file system is defined" - Ubuntu Forums

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub-installer/+bug/283520/

See if adding that line "root ()/ubuntu/disks" to the menu.list file lying on your windows partition (somewhere like /ubuntu/install/boot/grub/menu.lst) and also comment out the line "# groot=..." by adding that hash # character in the front...

Does that help?

edit: you may already have newer/fixed wubi with jackalope, so just try editing the menu.lst in windows folder part...

edit2: errr maybe you can try latest wubi from http://wubi-installer.org/devel/minefield/ file Wubi-9.04-rev134.exe

err, you will have to go slow on this :ashamed:

whats the first thing I should do?

I have uninstalled it completely.

I went through one of the link you provided above and found this > Index of /devel/minefield

After downloading Wubi-9.04-rev134.exe, what next ?

Should I install 9.04 using Wubi and then run this file?

So, when you say you have uninstalled, you mean you uninstalled from Windows' Add-Remove programs menu, right?

ok, now download that file wubi904rev134.exe and run it... it runs the same like how you start the default wubi which comes in the CD... now running this new wubi.exe point it to the downloaded ISO or your CD and do the same install process...

then report back what is the problem, if any...

if same garbled screen, then boot into windows and edit the menu.list in windows explorer via wordpad (not notepad) to add that line "root" as mentioned above.

then try rebooting again into linux...

some searching links mention running chkdsk in windows to check/repair hard disk and to do TWO reboots so that the filesystem thinks you have normal shutdown... that helps some people with wubi issues...

Alright, this is what i did.
1. I uninstalled Kubuntu it completely from Add/remove programs and restarted the system once.

2. Downloaded the new Wubi installed v1.34 and ran it. It gave me the same installer screen but with a lot of options (types of Ubuntu) viz. Mythbuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu etc.

3. I selected Kubuntu > C Drive > 15GB > entered password and clicked on Install.

4. Once it was done (took around 2 mins or maybe lesser), it spat the dvd out and gave me an option to restart.

5. Restarted system manually after closing down all applications > Selected Kubuntu from the list of Operating systems.

6. I saw a blinking cursor on the top for about 2 mins, and then directly saw some garbled text with an error 15 - press any key to continue...

7. But when i press ESC, i saw the same screen as the above screenshot in my OP.

8. I came back to Vista. Opened menu.lst file in wordpad and now waiting for you. :D

Phew :p
Btw, what if i upload my menu.lst file here, can you do it for me? :ashamed:

OK now in that menu.lst do you see a line with "groot" in it somewhere? If so then add a hash before it so that its like "#groot". Then just above it add the line:

Code:
root ()/ubuntu/disks

Save and close the file, then reboot and again try booting into linux... in the mean time I will search for that error 15... I have seen it reported before :)

There are two menu.lst files.

1. C:\ubuntu\winboot -1kb

2. C:\ubuntu\install\boot\grub -3kb

I opened both the files with wordpad and searched for groot (ctrl+F), no luck.

Attached is the 3kb file.

Please remove .txt to make it a valid .lst file. It would not let me attach it.

Attachments

• menu.lst.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 260
ok must be new wubi changes... can you open C:\boot.ini and tell me what is the path shown for ubuntu boot item (be careful dont edit this file just view)...

then from the above 2 locations whichever is the latest menu.lst installed can you attach the entire file to your post so i can take a look...

I cant find that file :S

Unhid my system files, still cant find it or is it because I am using Vista?

afaik, boot.ini is only in XP, it has been replaced by BCDEdit in Vista.

if you have option to show hidden files do you see any files/folders like "folder000.chk" or something like that? that indicates bad/missing files, even if not then you need to run chkdsk. ok, time to move on to next step :)...

check your windows disks for problem by running "chkdsk" with the right parameters... you can run it from command line with the options to run after a reboot (because it might not work properly when OS is booted and you are logged in).. i think the command is "chkdsk c: /f /r" but serach online to be sure...

After typing that command then saying yes to run on next boot, reboot once, let it finish, then reboot again, then uninstall and reinstall via wubi and report back :) note after uninstalling wubi, then delete the C:\ubuntu folder manually, only then start fresh install...

I will certainly come back with the results.

But yes, my primary drive is suffering from S.M.A.R.T errors recently, could that be an issue here ?

Yup... looks like it could be... run chkdsk :) and backup all your important files to external copies fast !

BTW, all these steps you find on the net - there is one good wiki page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide... see section 6 for troubleshooting steps... good luck and report back your status when you can ...

yea, even though anish has said he doesnt want to repartition, its worth the effort for better linux experience... after backing up all you data of course :eek:hyeah:

Oh yes!, enjoyed every bit of the troubleshooting i did till now :D

I would seriously love to learn the partioning process along with Vista (dual boot). It would be a hell of an experience. ;)

Backup has been taken care-off now, if this Wubi is still wobbly, i wouldnt mind giving a shot at partitioning the drive solely for Kubuntu or any other distro for that matter.

chkdsk is almost done, 90%

^^Nopes.. It won't be hell of an experience.. All Linux distro are configured and has good integration with grub.Even if you have Win7 | Vista or xp, Grub will automatically add the entries to make things easier..

But if you install Windows over linux installation this should be the solution Open Source and Linux - TechEnclave

ok if backup is done, do the chkdsk part, then uninstall again, then manually delete all C:\ubuntu folders, then reinstall ubuntu via wubi... then lets see what to do next :)

when you can, do report the latest error and again paste the latest menu.lst file....

Dark Star said:
^^Nopes.. It won't be hell of an experience.. All Linux distro are configured and has good integration with grub.Even if you have Win7 | Vista or xp, Grub will automatically add the entries to make things easier..

But if you install Windows over linux installation this should be the solution Open Source and Linux - TechEnclave

No-no, i meant to say Hell of an experience = 1 awesome experience :p

vishalrao said:
ok if backup is done, do the chkdsk part, then uninstall again, then manually delete all C:\ubuntu folders, then reinstall ubuntu via wubi... then lets see what to do next :)

when you can, do report the latest error and again paste the latest menu.lst file....

chkdsk is done restarted system twice and uninstalled it completely again restarted 1 once.

Is grldr a part of ubuntu or windows ?

Waiting for your say :)

Back