X360 vs 20k upgrade for a computer

I was recently planning to upgrade my pc to be able to play better/more games... and thought if it was better to bet a console ?

my current config : ;)

E6600
DG965 RY CK
4 * 1gb 667
2 * 160 + 250 sata
CM 380
xfx 8600GT 256

proposed config : :cool2:

E6600
Abit p 35-E
4 * 1gb 667
2 * 160 + 250 sata
VX 450
palit 4850

investment ~ 20k :hap5:

x360 ~ 13k ??? (last time i checked)

so..which is better considering i have never played games on a console before....

and will i be able to connect my 22" to the console ?:huh:

Xbox is 20k min, where its selling @ 13k ?

and investment in PC is also 13k, 8600GT will sell for 3k, mobo 3k, SMPS 1k.

4850 - 11.5k

VX450 - 3.4k

IP35-E - 5.4k

20.3-7 = 13.7k

Forget about getting XBOX 360 from the grey market. With the high failure rates of these consoles, you will need the 3 year warranty. Also consider whether you are willing spend 1.8k+ on XBOX 360 titles.

Also, If you really want to get a console, I would rather recommend a PS3. I have both consoles and I felt the games on PS3 are better for the most part.

If the choice for is only between a modded grey market XBOX 360 and the PC upgrade, then I would strongly recommed you go with the PC upgrade.

i can pay one time for any console... but not 1.8k for the games... is there any kind of modding for x360 that shall not void warranty and still let me play pirated games ? and i dont think there is any workaround up for ps3 ?

me too... but i find myself spending on upgrades every 6-8 months or so.... so thought that a console would last longer...

so.. can i buy an original x360 and softmod it ? and still avail warranty ?

amritsingh87 said:
i can pay one time for any console... but not 1.8k for the games... is there any kind of modding for x360 that shall not void warranty and still let me play pirated games ? and i dont think there is any workaround up for ps3 ?

If you cannot afford to get legit games, then forget about getting a console.

There were soft mods for XBOX 360 which involve installing modified firmwere for the DVD drive and downgrading the dashboard software, but I think most of these were blocked out and there were also other associated problems. Anyway, if MS can detect you have tampered with the hardware/firmware, you automatically lose the warranty. The way MS is spending money on XBOX 360 repairs/replacement, they will probabaly search very throughly for a reason to void warranty.

Afterall you cannot have everything the way you want, can you. :p

amritsingh87 said:
..a little off topic..but whats going wrong with the 360's ? is a local reapir possible ?

Thats a very relavent question. :eek:hyeah:

Check this link

Xbox 360 technical problems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most severe of these problems is RROD. There are several reasons cited for this too.. But more important is the effect of the same. Sometimes the problem is overcome with simple tricks (towel trick) or with repairs (with repair charges as high as 5~8k), but there is no guarentee that it will not go bad again. Sometimes the problem occurs due to permanent damage to the motherboard and/or chips in which case it cannot be repaired at all and can only be replaced.

You need to get at least a 9600GT to play the latest fps on a 22" lcd.

To connect the console to the lcd you need a HD-VGA cable which costs around Rs 1600. Also you need to buy a memory unit to store game saves which will cost you an additional Rs 2000.

I recently bought the core console and am using it on my 19" lcd. For games I look for second hand ones which can be purchased for under Rs 1000.

The factors you need to consider:

Online gaming on xbox 360 is not free. Costs Rs 2000 per year.

Games on the pc are cheaper.

Xbox 360 will not need hardware upgrades (except a HDD if you need one)

The RROD problem is fully covered for 3 years in the 360, do not buy a modded xbox 360.

The xbox 360 warranty is for the original buyer and not the second buyer. So buying a second hand xbox 360 does not give you warranty.

Go with the PC. That 4850 config will play all PC games for atleast 2 years as well as all the X360 ports.

Moreover (and I am only being realistic here), you can play pirated games on the PC.
You can do the same with a modded X360 as well but if you get an RROD your entire investment goes down the drain.

As a modded X360 owner myself, the only wise choice can be between an unmodded X360 and PC otherwise you will be babying the modded X360 too much to have any fun with it.

And the be all end all incentive: Team Fortress 2 :)

and... i dont suppose you can connect to other 360's via lan... ?

and now because i cant buy a old/hacked console anyways... what about ps3 ? if i can somehow get it from US will it have warranty cover here ?

whats the warranty on that ?

does primus stores offer any additional warranty ? can that too be connected with my PC monitor (22")... how good is ps3 at 1680 * 1050 ? isint online gaming free with it ? and any second-owner-no-warranty issues ? any reliability issues ? lan gaming on ps3 ? used games should be available...?

can i connect and play with kbyd and mouse with any console... kindof used to that...

amritsingh87 said:
and... i dont suppose you can connect to other 360's via lan... ?

and now because i cant buy a old/hacked console anyways... what about ps3 ? if i can somehow get it from US will it have warranty cover here ?

whats the warranty on that ?

does primus stores offer any additional warranty ? can that too be connected with my PC monitor (22")... how good is ps3 at 1680 * 1050 ? isint online gaming free with it ? and any second-owner-no-warranty issues ? any reliability issues ? lan gaming on ps3 ? used games should be available...?

can i connect and play with kbyd and mouse with any console... kindof used to that...

1. No local warranty for PS3 bought in grey market or from US. However the service centres do accept the PS3 for repair out of warranty, but usually charge 2k (Minimum changes) + cost of spare parts + any extra charges.

2. PS3 can connect to a LCD Monitor using HDMI-DVI provided the Monitor has HDCP enabled DVI port. HDCP is supported by most of the 20"+ Monitors and rarely by some 19" ones too.

Some Monitors like some models from Dell also have HDMI port directly, so you can use HDMI - HDMI cable directly. In case you do not have a HDCP capable Monitor, you can get an XCM VGA Box or something similar to convert Component output form PS3 to VGA format and use the VGA D-SUB on the LCD/CRT.

3. Display resolution is only in terms of HD resolutions. i.e 480p/720p/1080p. On a 20"/22" display with max resolution of 1680 x 1050, PS3 will use the 720p mode (1280 x 720). The video quality does not look that bad even at this resolution. Only 24"+ Monitors are capable of displaying 1080p (1920 x 1080) ouput with the PS3.

4. Used games are available for 1.2~2k on the Gaming Indians forums. I have been buying several games from there.

5. Regarding reliability, the only major reliability problem with the PS3 is the Blue Ray drive. The initial versions failed of these drives failed when drive was stressed by the games. This was a major issue on the 60 GB models, but 40GB ones seem to be more reliable though there are problems still being reported for these too.

6. You can connect USB keyboard/mouse to PS3 and use them with the built in Internet browser or within the optional Linux install, but for use in games, the game developer must specifically support it and there are hardly any developers that supported it. For one, UT3 PS3 version supports keyboard/mouse.

May I suggest a PS2? Its very good console with huge library. you can easily pick one from gray market...that way games will be cheaper. upgrade to PS3 when you have more money.

I have moved from PC gaming to console gaming and i have never regretted my decision. I have a 22" LCD monitor and a PC will not give smooth rates at that resolution unless I have an SLI or a really high powered graphics card.

I don't game everyday so I haven't bought too many games. And original games are expensive (I buy mostly second hand to reduce that somewhat). But since almost all games run smoothly at high resolution, I am not missing my computer. However 2 years down the line when PC games start looking really good, then I might consider moving back.

Unfortunately the Xbox 360 has gone back to its original price (27k for Pro and 20k for Core) which means I can't really recommend it anymore over the 22k PS3.

A PC is always better, and once you get a decent configuration, you would bother updating the GPU mainly (unless a major CPU revision comes up)

I guess a great GPU can be got for 20k, and moreover PC's can do lot of stuff unlike consoles which are only for gaming. And as many pointed out, no Pirated games means no fun.

If you want to get the console fun with the PC, get a Game Controller :hap2:

amen to that.... will upgrade my comp... but do i need to upgrade my processor too ? btw: I have an E6600 ... i already have TRUE... so will overclocking it on P5B or abit P35E do or i need faster proccy ?

do i need faster ram too... i currently have 4gb 667... ?

anything else that i might be missing out before going and buying the components ??

EDIT :

and now i realise .... no more AOE , C&C , GOW , CSS for me on lan....
better sense prevailed...sticking to more expensive...but in my new found opinion 'worth it' option... good old PC...:clap:

any idea... HOW LONG will my upgraded rig last..as in it should be good for playing games for the next____ years (dont say months please :p )

Back