xbox 360 modification - need info

I have a Xbox 360 lying around since a good 2 yrs, untouched. Yesterday i powered it up to check if its working and played gears of war and was instantly hooked on to it. So i immediately went to this distributor who happens to be a client of mine. At the showroom there was a guy talking about mods and after he left i inquired myself.

He told me that in a 360, there are basically 2 kind of mods
1) Costs 1500, by which you can play pirated games on it. Cd's typically cost 150 bucks.
2) Costs 3500. One can transfer a game to the hdd and play it.
He said that incase of both mods, i cant play online. Thats alright by me cause primarily i am a pc gamer and play online via pc. Fifa, cod etc. I liked the idea of sitting on my couch, with my HT fired up and playing games.

Now i have a few queries..
1- Which mod do people generally go in for and is the cost right?
2- For certain games xbox asks for an update from the net(was the case 2 yrs back, dunno now), what happens if i run this update on a modded 360
3- What are my general limitations after i mod the 360?
4- Does or can it cause a hardware or software issue that can potentially damage the 360 permanently?
5- Anything else that i need to know?

So the idea of putting games on the hdd and playing does appeal to me ATM, but is the mod a safe bet and is the price right? Also any place you guys might recommend getting it done in Mumbai?

1. Both are good. Go for second one. RGH ones
2. U dont update. Thats my rule atleast.
3. None. You cant play online, but many mods allow that now. But i avoid that
4. No
5. Get a big HDD. Get the most exclusives and start playing.

is 3500 the right price? Do i need to tell him anything in particular pertaining to RGH.
Sorry but what does RGH stand for?

1. Both are good. Go for second one. RGH ones
2. U dont update. Thats my rule atleast.
3. None. You cant play online, but many mods allow that now. But i avoid that
4. No
5. Get a big HDD. Get the most exclusives and start playing.

Price. No idea mate. Have done mine a very long time ago. Just about the modding only i know. Also i know many people who play online with modded 360's and PS3, Never verified. But rule of thumb is be offline and rest will be ok.

that's true in case of a newly-purchased console, but the OP's console is atleast 2 years old now.[DOUBLEPOST=1385729985][/DOUBLEPOST]@edge111hussain - you could get the 'soft-mode' done at Mira Road in Mumbai for 700/-; no need to spend 1500/- for it. the RGH price is correct though (3500/-).

EDIT: Just realised that this is an old thread! :confused:
anyway, the info i provided is evergreen! :)

Last edited:
Didn't wanted to create a new thread so posting my query here:

I too, have a 2 years old xbox 360 lying untouched? :( it was purchased with LT2.0 [most probably, bought it in 1st week of december].

I bought it just to play forza motorsports 4. Forza 4 backup worked perfectly fine with this but i never tried forza horizon.

Can i run forza horizon backup Game disc with LT2.0 modded console? read about some topology layer but couldn't understand what it was
If I can't
Will updating the dashboard, flash my drive's LT2.0 firmware to stock xbox 360 drive firmware?? In this case, can i run original forza horizon discs?

ps: i have no access to any mod shop or modder in my area. So can't upgrade to LT3.0 or RGH.

if am correct, forza horizon requires lt3.0.
Its not possible for me to get it flashed in my city.
I want to get stock firmware of DVD drives so that i can play latest original game discs. Is it possible to get stock dvd firmware by updating dashboard?

you could play original game-discs as it is anyway. for the very latest games that require a dash-upd., they already carry the upd. on the DVD.

P.S. - what is your location?!

All i want to play is forza horizon, don't care about other titles or latest games on xbox 360. Even with the dash update, Will original discs of XGD3 games like forza horizon work on my LT2.0 console? [with updated dashboard]
i'm from gorakhpur (UP).

Hi guys i am from new delhi !! Can u tell me if ps3 is still moddable ?? Any specific firmware i need to watch out for ?? Need to buy 1 asap !

All i want to play is forza horizon, don't care about other titles or latest games on xbox 360. Even with the dash update, Will original discs of XGD3 games like forza horizon work on my LT2.0 console? [with updated dashboard]
i'm from gorakhpur (UP).

yes, original discs would work in any case.[DOUBLEPOST=1387290507][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi guys i am from new delhi !! Can u tell me if ps3 is still moddable ?? Any specific firmware i need to watch out for ?? Need to buy 1 asap !

the new super-slim is, but its through some dongle or hardware mod, the details of which i am not aware of. but what i do know is that its very costly. check nehru place for that; otherwise, my recommendation would be to get one from the forum itself.

@G33kgod
For the Ps3 Super Slim you will need an ODE. They cost around 60-100$. You can get one installed on yours at Palika, cost will be around 5-6k. Shop that i can recommend is M-15 in the center circle, first floor.

Alternatively, you can pick up a second hand slim console which has been hacked to run custom firmware. This hack is a soft mod and works a lot better than the ODE.
Cost for the PS3 with a custom firmware will be anywhere between the 18-24K mark depending on the size of the HDD and the number of games it comes with.
I have used both, and I definitely prefer the Custom Firmware Hack than the ODE as the later is extremely cumbersome to use and should be your last resort if at all.

You can google for both and make up your mind. Alternatively PM me if you need more info.

Back